Bp6 un-modded limit

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
stouder

Bp6 un-modded limit

Post by stouder »

I'm a bp6 newb, but not a computer newb. Just bought one off of ebay for $41, I've got 2 866mhz p3's, 133fsb, socket 370. They are identical.

Will they both work without any mods, just at the lower 100mhz fsb?

Will they work in the bp6 without any modifcation to the mboard?
Stouder
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

no and no
not a computer newb would have gone straight to
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=109
and figures it only uses pre-P3 (P2) chips
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hi stouder and welcome to BP6!

If you want to run your P3's on the BP6 then you need to buy something like NEO370 adapters and modify them slightly. You will also need to modify the motherboard as well.

The BP6 isn't really a 133MHz FSB board so if you run your CPU's at 100MHz FSB then your 866MHz P3's will run at 650MHz. There are at least two of us doing just that here (myself and Phadreus). If you peruse the forums and article part of this site you will find plenty of information on how to get P3's working on your BP6.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
stouder

Post by stouder »

Thanks for the reply. Dave's right, I should of looked into it more. I'm more of a networking guy and figured, socket 370 chips socket 370 board, done. After looking into it more and with your help it's obvious I was wrong.

I'm not much for modding, especially when it calls for breaking out the old soldering gun. I'll just sell my bp6 and buy the vp6.

Again thanks for the reply.
Stouder
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

First you need to get your hands on a couple of NEO370´s which isn't easy these days or so I've heard. Second you have to break a single copper thread in the NEO's and solder two pins on the ZIF sockets together.

On top of that you need to replace capacitor EC10 and make sure that no caps are messed up on your board. Many replace the 1.5V regulator (Q6) as well if they are going to run P3's.

Check out this page and this page as well for more information.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

stouder wrote:I'll just sell my bp6 and buy the vp6.
Hi there stouder.

Would you consider putting the BP6 in the Classifieds section of this messageboard? It would be nice if a true fan could get hold of it! :)
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote:First you need to get your hands on a couple of NEO370´s which isn't easy these days or so I've heard. Second you have to break a single copper thread in the NEO's and solder two pins on the ZIF sockets together.

On top of that you need to replace capacitor EC10 and make sure that no caps are messed up on your board. Many replace the 1.5V regulator (Q6) as well if they are going to run P3's.

Check out this page and this page as well for more information.

i'm a new here...and got the BP6 just now, which is pretty hard in europe!
8)
and as it figured out i just didn't read that the P3 and coopermine doesn't go on that board! so now the alternative modded or unmodded board...i don't have any experiance, so i'll just stick with the unmodded motherboard...

the question is, WHAT CPU's GOES ON THAT MOTHERBOARD WITHOUT MODDING IT!? (that means welding and puting other capasitors and stuff!!! i'm a mechanical engineer, so i don't mess with electronic!! only adapters are ok with me, i can put those...)
please give only the top speeds, so i can rely on them...i know celeron goes, but that is the top speed of those celeron (which are not coopermine, of course!)?
also is there some older P3 which is not coopermine core based, that we can use, without modding the borad? there must be some cca 500MHz based P3, or P2 for socket370, right?

also i've got RV veriosn of BIOS with 1.28 version of HPT366...so what goes without modding on that bios?!
:D

p.s. on older slot1 BE6 version 1, i just put TH version of BIOS, and it works fine on FSB 112MHz/3, which gives 37,3MHz on PCI, and the multiplyer for AGP is 2/3...i noticed that over 37,5MHz PCI on ABIT (tried it with celeron over FSB 75MHz or P3/100 over FSB 115MHz) doesn't work smoothly in WinXP...so that is the top speed for you folks! TRY IT!
:D
but 've got the far end of the speed with this board...i just wont work on more...even with PC150 SDRAM i can boot WinXP, but the BX chipset freezes!! (tried with P3/133 CPUs on FSB 124MHz or 133MHz divided by 4!)
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

KliK wrote: the question is, WHAT CPU's GOES ON THAT MOTHERBOARD WITHOUT MODDING IT!?
Hi Klik and welcome to BP6.com. The top Celerons that you can run on the BP6 are a pair of 533MHz Celerons. There is plenty of information available on this topic here in the forums if you search (like here in the BP6 FAQ)
KliK wrote:also i've got RV veriosn of BIOS with 1.28 version of HPT366...so what goes without modding on that bios?!
I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean what harddrives you can use? Again, search the forums a bit and you will find plenty of information that can answer general questions like this one. Some people hate the HPT366 and wouldn't use it even if they were paid for it while others have used it successfully for years. My opinion is that the HPT366 will behave badly and even destroy data on some types of drives, but it seems to work just fine with others. I have only tried it with an IBM drive and that worked just fine.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote:
KliK wrote: the question is, WHAT CPU's GOES ON THAT MOTHERBOARD WITHOUT MODDING IT!?
Hi Klik and welcome to BP6.com. The top Celerons that you can run on the BP6 are a pair of 533MHz Celerons. There is plenty of information available on this topic here in the forums if you search (like here in the BP6 FAQ)
KliK wrote:also i've got RV veriosn of BIOS with 1.28 version of HPT366...so what goes without modding on that bios?!
I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean what harddrives you can use? Again, search the forums a bit and you will find plenty of information that can answer general questions like this one. Some people hate the HPT366 and wouldn't use it even if they were paid for it while others have used it successfully for years. My opinion is that the HPT366 will behave badly and even destroy data on some types of drives, but it seems to work just fine with others. I have only tried it with an IBM drive and that worked just fine.

where could i find only HPT366 BIOS update? i've got BE6 with 1.25 version...i would want to upgrade to 1.28 or 1.30!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

The HPT BIOS is included with the motherboard BIOS, so you wouldn't be able to use the BP6 version on your BE6.

Maybe someone has modified the BE6 BIOS to update the HPT?
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

InactiveX wrote:The HPT BIOS is included with the motherboard BIOS, so you wouldn't be able to use the BP6 version on your BE6.

Maybe someone has modified the BE6 BIOS to update the HPT?

i know that...but with TH BIOS for BE6 i got 1.25 HPT366!
and on ABIT pages there is only HPT366 BIOS (individual) for 1.25 version...is there somwhere only newer HPT366 BIOS for update?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

KliK wrote:and on ABIT pages there is only HPT366 BIOS (individual) for 1.25 version.
Again, could you supply a link to what you are referring to? It makes these things much easier to examine.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

InactiveX wrote:
KliK wrote:and on ABIT pages there is only HPT366 BIOS (individual) for 1.25 version.
Again, could you supply a link to what you are referring to? It makes these things much easier to examine.
here is the link:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/downloa ... YPE=Others

and this is what i'm talking about:
Accessories>Add-on Cards>HotRod 66 / HPT366
hr66125.exe
Bios Issue Date:2000/07/30
BIOS Version 1.25.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I wonder how many troubles on the HPT have been caused by using a QQ bios and the later 1.25 highpoint drivers in windows
or the later RU bios and still using the older 1.22 drivers ?

as in, make sure you are using the right windows driver for the bios version installed. not just the latest driver
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

KliK wrote:
InactiveX wrote:
here is the link:

hr66125.exe
BIOS Version 1.25.
This is for the add-on PCI card, that allows you to connect drives. It's not for native motherboard controllers (See the above quote highlighted in red).

There are ways of adding on-board drive controller firmware to the main motherboard BIOS, but it's quite an involved process.

Why do you want the latest revision anyway? Are you having problems with the one you've got?
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

InactiveX wrote:
KliK wrote:
InactiveX wrote: Again, could you supply a link to what you are referring to? It makes these things much easier to examine.
here is the link:

hr66125.exe
BIOS Version 1.25.
This is for the add-on PCI card, that allows you to connect drives. It's not for native motherboard controllers (See the above quote highlighted in red).

There are ways of adding on-board drive controller firmware to the main motherboard BIOS, but it's quite an involved process.

Why do you want the latest revision anyway? Are you having problems with the one you've got?
that is not the ADD-ON CARD as you think so...if you look at the motherboard specs either BE6 or BP6, there are only 5 PCI slots...the 6th is intergraded into HPT366 adapter, and that is why some USB PCI card adapters wont work or some other cards, 'cause they share same IRQ with motherboard HPT366 adapter...

so, is there some standalone HPT366 BIOS later than 1.25 version...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Check out this link:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/

Support –> Bios + Driver –> Hpt 366
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

KliK wrote:that is not the ADD-ON CARD as you think so...if you look at the motherboard specs either BE6 or BP6, there are only 5 PCI slots...the 6th is intergraded into HPT366 adapter, and that is why some USB PCI card adapters wont work or some other cards, 'cause they share same IRQ with motherboard HPT366 adapter...

so, is there some standalone HPT366 BIOS later than 1.25 version...
No, it is an add-on card. I have seen one, used one, and held one in my own hands. It uses the HPT366 chipset. Here is an article about the thing.

:?
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Merlin55

double post

Post by Merlin55 »

removed the double post
Last edited by Merlin55 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BP6 2x500 Mendicino cores
Radeon 7500
640 Megs PC133
Benq Dual Layer DVD Burner
CD burner
Mirconet gigabit Nic
10 gig main hd
80 gig mp3 and program stores
Merlin55

old posts

Post by Merlin55 »

Well, these old post are interesting, but not very helpful, I've no desire to wade through huge volumes of spam looking for a little info. I'm about to win a BP6 on ebay. While I am getting it to play with till I fix my P4, which tossed its chips, I only want to do the simplest updates, its coming with 2 300mhz celerons & 2 400's both matched pairs. assuming I run the stock fans and have the ru bios set, what can I expect to get out of this mobo? I want some speed but not by frying the chips out of it, and I'm going to run XP Pro Corporate edition. Some new current info and the state of this mobo would be helpful. Are any of you still using this or is BP6.com a relic? I'm making the assumption that smp is going to work with XP. But since its not my field other than our dual xeon servers at work I've no idea. Consider me to be a sometimes knowledgable n00b.

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by Merlin55 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Radeon 7500
640 Megs PC133
CD burner
Mirconet gigabit Nic
10 gig main hd
BCN

Post by BCN »

you would be able to run your 300 celerons at 450Mhz easily, maybe 504Mhz, which is quite possible, but cool your BX, cause it gets hot under SMP. You could get to 558MHz ant 124MHz FSB, but that would require an qffort and good BX cooling
Yes it will work with XP.
your 400 celerons would probably achieve 552MHz at 92Mhz FSB, but be carefull there cause only from 92FSB you get 3X PCI divider.
Do not use HPT366 controller for youe HDD nor for optical drives if you like them healthy, get add-onn promise card.
that is all you need to know. you may bump the voltage up to 2.3V if you need and there is no problem, but more important there is BX cooling :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Re: old posts

Post by InactiveX »

Hi there Merlin55!
Merlin55 wrote:Well, these old post are interesting, but not very helpful I've no desire to wade through huge volumes of spam looking for a little info.
Hey, there's no spam in here! If you take a little time to look around there's a wealth of info in here. Have a look at long-standing member Hyperspace's FAQ section.
Merlin55 wrote:I'm making the assumption that smp is going to work with XP.
Only XP Pro will do SMP. The Home version doesn't. Seeing as you said you'll be using Pro, you should be fine.
Merlin55 wrote:Are any of you still using this or is BP6.com a relic?
Never!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Merlin55

Post by Merlin55 »

so if I read this right I can modestly overclock the 400's to 450 or 500, add a cpu fan to the bx chip to keep it cool and best to add a ide controller card, that seems the only stickler finding a card. No doubt I'll be back asking 10 million question once I have the board in my hands. But thanks so far.

Merlin
Radeon 7500
640 Megs PC133
CD burner
Mirconet gigabit Nic
10 gig main hd
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »