BP6 lights up but...

hyperspace
Board Admin

BP6 lights up but...

Post by hyperspace »

Well, it has happened to my first BP6. Yesterday, I tried to wake it up and nothing happened. I was booted in Linux, moved the mouse, monitor would not come out of stand-by. I thought it was locked up. Pressing the reset button didn't restart the computer. Holding the power button in for more than 5 seconds didn't turn off the computer. I turned the power switch off on the power supply and then turned it back on. Fans started, lights came on, hard drives fired up but no video. I tried several times to power cycle using the power switch on back, including disconnecting the power cord, same results. Left it off overnight and tried this morning, same results.

Anyway, I looked at the mainboard and sure enough there are several bulging and oozing capacitors. I sent an email to the "capman" to find out if he is still doing the capacitor replacement for BP6's. I'd do it myself but I don't have the correct wattage for my soldering pencil to do this right. And, I'm not going to try and use my soldering gun. Too big.

This system has been running since August 1999. Since I loaded MD Linux 9.1 earlier this year, it had been locking up sometimes. I thought I was really stressing the system with Apache, Samba, Shorewall, two SETI's, etc. Nope. Just bad capacitors. I'm really bummed. :(
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Re: BP6 lights up but...

Post by Derek »

hyperspace wrote:Well, it has happened to my first BP6. Yesterday, I tried to wake it up and nothing happened. I was booted in Linux, moved the mouse, monitor would not come out of stand-by. I thought it was locked up. Pressing the reset button didn't restart the computer. Holding the power button in for more than 5 seconds didn't turn off the computer. I turned the power switch off on the power supply and then turned it back on. Fans started, lights came on, hard drives fired up but no video. I tried several times to power cycle using the power switch on back, including disconnecting the power cord, same results. Left it off overnight and tried this morning, same results.

Anyway, I looked at the mainboard and sure enough there are several bulging and oozing capacitors. I sent an email to the "capman" to find out if he is still doing the capacitor replacement for BP6's. I'd do it myself but I don't have the correct wattage for my soldering pencil to do this right. And, I'm not going to try and use my soldering gun. Too big.

This system has been running since August 1999. Since I loaded MD Linux 9.1 earlier this year, it had been locking up sometimes. I thought I was really stressing the system with Apache, Samba, Shorewall, two SETI's, etc. Nope. Just bad capacitors. I'm really bummed. :(
That would explain why your website is down?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Yes, my WEB site was running from that system. :(

Hope I here from "capman", today.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

hyperspace wrote:Yes, my WEB site was running from that system. :(

Hope I here from "capman", today.
Maybe you can talk to him about a BP6.Com deal or something; since there are many of us requiring his services.
-Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Derek wrote:Maybe you can talk to him about a BP6.Com deal or something; since there are many of us requiring his services.
Great Idea! Will do!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

For the time being, you can use your BP6.Com webspace for your site :D
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hey hyperspace

if he is still doing it find out how much he wans for it

i am oging to try to aquire a few more bp6's (they are not cheap)

and mine will need the cap fix soon
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

kuun wrote:hey hyperspace

if he is still doing it find out how much he wans for it

i am oging to try to aquire a few more bp6's (they are not cheap)

and mine will need the cap fix soon
Just got a replay from Gary. :bananadance: :bounce: :bounce: :bananadance:

Will keep everyone posted...
Derek wrote: Maybe you can talk to him about a BP6.Com deal or something; since there are many of us requiring his services.
Asked him about a deal. We'll see what he says. :wink:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The sage continues...

I swapped mainboards between my working BP6 and the one that was not working. I used all the same components that were in the non-functioning BP6 except for the 366 Celerons, graphics and sound cards that were in the working one.

Guess what? Same problem! I'm guessing power supply. But I am using the RAM, NIC, SCSI controller, and video capture card from the working BP6 (And hard drives, CDROM's, tape drive and floppy drive).

Should I try another power supply or ?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

hyperspace wrote:Should I try another power supply or ?
Yes. Board mounting is ok? No short-circuit?
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Wolfram wrote:
hyperspace wrote:Should I try another power supply or ?
Yes. Board mounting is ok? No short-circuit?
Yeah, I thought about that but I used the same mounts. I didn't move or change the mounts when I changed the mainboards around.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

If it´s really the PSU, I´m worried. IIRC Derek blew one PSU (on a BP6?), now you, and I´m running my board on a standard 250W unit. Never checked if it´s still ok, probably I should...
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Wolfram wrote:If it´s really the PSU, I´m worried. IIRC Derek blew one PSU (on a BP6?), now you, and I´m running my board on a standard 250W unit. Never checked if it´s still ok, probably I should...
hehe It was more of a PSU meltdown. The caps that didn't blow up were oozing, then fan seized and it smelled.

Moral: Don’t buy a cheap power supply!
-Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Coming to you live from multiverse!

Yes!

It was the power supply! mutliverse is sporting a new Antec TruePower 430W PSU. Man, what a pain. The old PSU leads were fastened into place with plastic wire ties. Now, I get to start all over. :cry:

At least I'm back on-line from home! :P
Last edited by hyperspace on Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Welcome back, multiverse! :D

If you haven´t already thrown the deceased PSU in the bin, could you please tell us if there are any _visible_ defects inside (ie caps)?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Wolfram wrote:Welcome back, multiverse! :D

If you haven´t already thrown the deceased PSU in the bin, could you please tell us if there are any _visible_ defects inside (ie caps)?
I've got it open. Haven't seen anything obvious. The only thing I have noticed was with the power connector that plugs into the mainboard. The plastic covering around two of the connectors, is dis-coloured. Looks like dis-colouration due to heat. These two connectors are next to each other. The wire leads associated with the connectors red. I'll try to find a diagram to show everyone their exact location on the connector.

There is a 2200uF, 10v electrolytic capacitor in the old PSU. It will come in handy, as this BP6 mainboard I am using now has the "wrong" EC10 capacitor. And yes, I'm getting the "classic" mouse lockup problem so many of us have experienced before replacing EC10.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
jives

Post by jives »

A new PS may appear to fix the problem but the caps are an issue and may lead to a early death on your new PS.

If you still want those caps replaced I can do it for you. I just had to do the ones around the first CPU.

I'm still at the same place ;) drop me a line if you want to do that.

Right now I'm 7 and 1 in doing cap replacements, only 1 board failed to react well, but I recapped it then more failed and I tried to re cap the last few but that didn't fix the problem.

Abit KT7 RAID, BP6, MSI 694D, Shuttle SV25 (got another I need to do but I've got 183 days of uptime going so...)...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

jives wrote:A new PS may appear to fix the problem but the caps are an issue and may lead to a early death on your new PS.

If you still want those caps replaced I can do it for you. I just had to do the ones around the first CPU.

I'm still at the same place ;) drop me a line if you want to do that.

Right now I'm 7 and 1 in doing cap replacements, only 1 board failed to react well, but I recapped it then more failed and I tried to re cap the last few but that didn't fix the problem.

Abit KT7 RAID, BP6, MSI 694D, Shuttle SV25 (got another I need to do but I've got 183 days of uptime going so...)...
That would explain alot. I wonder how many bad PSU's, burn coils, etc.; are due to bad capacitors.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
jives

Post by jives »

Quite A few in the SV25's case. Lot of people shelled out $65 for a new supply which seem to fix the problem for a few months.