What's Wrong with my video card?

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Jordan

What's Wrong with my video card?

Post by Jordan »

I've been having one isolated problem with my Rage Fury. In Grand theft auto: Vice City, after playing for a while i sometimes notice weird blue blobs on the textures. Because i think it is a heat issue, I've put a Pentium Heatsink onto the GPU and it's on as properly as it can be, because there are no heatsink clip holes. This anomalie only happens in vice city so it's not that big a deal; especially because my BP6 has half the CPU power it requires.

I just wonder if anyone else has any ideas as to what is causing this glitch.

PS. Does anyone think those blue dot patterns look like some kind of binary dot pattern? I'm thinking of those binary clocks... Not important (?), but interesting to note.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

possibly heat.
with only 32mg of ram, it's more likely to be an overlay texture render thingy where you don't have enough video card memory to properly display all the game goodness you need.
KliK

Re: What's Wrong with my video card?

Post by KliK »

Jordan wrote:I've been having one isolated problem with my Rage Fury. In Grand theft auto: Vice City, after playing for a while i sometimes notice weird blue blobs on the textures. Because i think it is a heat issue, I've put a Pentium Heatsink onto the GPU and it's on as properly as it can be, because there are no heatsink clip holes. This anomalie only happens in vice city so it's not that big a deal; especially because my BP6 has half the CPU power it requires.

I just wonder if anyone else has any ideas as to what is causing this glitch.

PS. Does anyone think those blue dot patterns look like some kind of binary dot pattern? I'm thinking of those binary clocks... Not important (?), but interesting to note.

if it's problem arising during the play, it would be the heat problem! but as the GPU doesn't go down with FPS, it might be the memory issue!!! maybe a good thing would be to find some program that could check your video memory?!
a friend of mine had the same problems with GF3 (or GF4, i don't really remember!) on his computer running GTA: San Andreas!!! (yes, over the 1GHz CPU, he had...not recomended for BP6 system!)
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

My first three thoughts were (1)heat, (2) overclocking and (3)it is an older ATi graphics adapter. I had one of those some time ago (I think it was called Rage 128) and I it seemed as if Ati never managed to make proper drivers for it. Poor rendering was always cropping up in various games. I eventually got sick of the extremely poor quality of the ATi drivers so I sold it, bought nVidia and never went back.

ATi is making better drivers for their products today for Windows (I have read) but now that I am using Linux I can still say that I am buying nVidia because they are lightyears ahead of ATi in producing quality drivers for Linux.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Interesting!

purrkur, my video card uses the RAGE 128GL GPU. So both our cards are basically the same. I agree that ATI's driver support is not great as i have serious problems with compatibilities among games. Sadly, ATI seems to have abandoned the RAGE series and there are no recent driver updates.
It looks like you had the exact same problems as I do, so I think it's time for me to look for an Nvidia.
THANKS
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Hi Jordan,

Could you please give me the "S" codes and other data on your 400 Celerons?

I have a pair of 366's stable at 583 right now (106 FSB) , they will go 594 and even into windows at 605 but not stable.

FSB is not an issue for me.

However, I need all the CPU speed I can get and so far yours seems to bee the best for my needs. If I could get 2 400's @ 100 (600Mhz) that would work well for me.

Regards,

jaybird
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

2 things -

Klik mentioned a memory issue - I never thought of that but it could easily be the memory overheating or just failing. I'll look into that!

2nd- jaybird, I'll PM you with my full CPU info ASAP.
I can't imagine it would be easy to find some more of those CPUs...
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

http://computers.listings.ebay.com/Inte ... ngItemList

anything with the PPGA, FSB @ 66
usually about the 400-533 range.