Utra ATA

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
kdtron

Utra ATA

Post by kdtron »

I wanted to replace my monster 3 gig with a 10 gig heh and just realized it says Barracuda Ultra ATA guessing this works only on the Ultra ATA ports with proper cable? I tried all ports with regular cable but windows doesn't see it. Can you anyone confirm this will only work on ultra port w/ ultra cable?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

It should also work on the standard ata33 ports...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Make sure the hard drive is partitioned otherwise it will not show up in Windows Explorer.
-Derek
kdtron

Post by kdtron »

Thanks I will try it tonight. I never saw a hard drive list it self as ultra ATA thought it was only cable and port that made it ultra ata usable..
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

How did it turn out?
The drive should be listed on the boot up screen if the hardware is connected correctly.

If you are wondering about connectivity...
Ultra has several ratings. If memory serves(im getting old) Ultra 33 will work with the 40lead cable but Ultra 66, 100 or 133 requires the 80lead cable, and you have to follow the color code on which connector goes where.

Most ide equipment is backward compatable so you get the best speed from the weakest link in the system. The BP6 IDE1 and 2 can handle Ultra33(on the 40lead cable) and many of the regulars here recomend against the HTP ports.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100