gf mx400 PCI totally incompatible with BP6?

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
JediFonger

gf mx400 PCI totally incompatible with BP6?

Post by JediFonger »

it was quite picky, will only take my radeon 7k and NOT my gf mx400 PCI graphics board. no matter what i do in the BIOS, PCI video is a no show. is this a known problem?
to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

What slot is it in? Bear in mind that slots 4 and 5 cannot both have bus-mastering devices and other slots share IRQs with onboard devices.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
JediFonger

Post by JediFonger »

i have tried all the slots while having no other PCI device in the computer.
JediFonger

Post by JediFonger »

i have tried all the slots while having no other PCI device in the computer.
headseed

Post by headseed »

I have a Inno3D GF2 MX400 64MB card that worked in my BP6 if I recall correctly. Used it in the first pci slot right under the AGP slot. I'll try it again next time I have the machine together (apart right now, needed case for my new VP6 dual 850@1.1gig machine).
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Are you sure that your Geforce is working? Have you tried it in another computer as well?

Also, you don't really say what happens. Does your computer appear to boot or does it hang? You could try running both your Geforce and the Radeon in the machine at the same time to see what happens (with your monitor connected to the Radeon card).
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
JediFonger

Post by JediFonger »

purrkur, i have tried that already. what i have discovered is a tiny break in the mobo that may be causing this problem. i bought this used on ebay and upon closer inspection i think it has to do with that chip on the mobo. ah well. agp is working now and i don't wanna mess w/it more. works great regardless of that chip! =).
Ctrl

Post by Ctrl »

I am having the exact same problem with an ATi 9250 PCI.
It will not POST at all with this video card in it. The card is brand new and working fine in my opteron server. I've setup the BIOS with my AGP card in and set the BIOS in every configuration I can think of for the display. The card has both vga and DVI ports and I have also tried both of these and also vga on DVI with an adapter. Not really sure what to do here... after reading some forums, it's apparent I'm not the only one with this problem. I believe I'm using the RU BIOS.
Last edited by Ctrl on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ctrl

Post by Ctrl »

Going to try an older PCI card and report results.
Ctrl

Post by Ctrl »

Ok..
Tried an ATi PCI Mach64 first in PCI #1. Same problem. Removed all other PCI Cards and gave it another shot, voila it worked. With all other PCI slots empty, I tried the ATi 9250 once more... nothing. Tried the card again in all other PCI slots and PCI 1-4 had the same results, nothing. No signal and no POST. No system beeps or anything at all. Although, in PCI #5 i got some error beeps. 1 long 3 short. Haven't looked up the error beep code yet, thought I'd post here first. I'm suspecting it's an IRQ problem though. Not sure why there'd be an IRQ problem with this card and not the PCI Mach64 but I hope to find out and post results and hopefully a solution here, for future visitors.

Thankfully, this will be a short setup. I'm ready to retire my 4 BP6's. I have newer PC's and can't afford the real estate these take up. They've served me well for a while now but they all need recapping and I'm not really interested in such a tedious task. Maybe I'll post them here for interested buyers.

If anyone can help with this PCI video problem, please post.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I have used a Matrox AGP and PCI card for years, think problem is with mobo, not card or system.

Regards,

jaybird
KliK

Post by KliK »

maybe if you put in BIOS that first initialised graphic card is PCI, then it would work?! :D did you try that?!
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

KliK wrote:maybe if you put in BIOS that first initialised graphic card is PCI, then it would work?! :D did you try that?!
that would only matter if you had two vga cards .
it'll try both if the AGP is missing