160Gig hard drive on BP6 ???

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

purrkur wrote: Could you post your /etc/fstab contents??
Here they are (please don't laugh at my mistakes ;)):
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdg /mnt/200GB ext3 auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde1 /mnt/win_c vfat auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde5 /mnt/win_d vfat auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde6 /mnt/win_e ntfs auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde7 /mnt/win_g ntfs auto,user 0 2
/dev/hda /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
I am also not sure what you are trying to do. Does the disk still have it's Windows partition and do you intend to use the windows file format?
I had cloned the 120GB drive 1:1 to the new drive. Then I made a new ext3 partition filling the remaining free space.
Post your fstab file and I'll take a look at it. I think I know what is wrong.
Thanks a lot. I had successfully mounted Windows partitions in the past, but I didn't really know what I did when I did that...
As Voxell said, editing fstab can be done using something like vi or vim but if you are not used to those tools then they are not easy to use for the first time. What you can also do is to run any graphical editor as root when you enter X.
I seemed like X was not running. I tried to run kedit from the console, but it didn't work.
So what you can do (for example if you use KDE) is to open up Konsole, do "su -" and then enter the root password. From there, just write "kate" and you'll get your gui editor. But you have to do this as root because all files under /etc can only be edited by root.
Yeah, thanks. I just didn't even get to KDE, but was redirected to a console earlier (don't know at which stage).
Btw, qtparted is actually a KDE tool.
Really? So it should have been already installed in my Fedora Core 3 setup... I tried to run "qtparted" from the console but the system didn't seem to know it. So I installed it via Yum.
And last but not least, pass us the output from the command "mount" as well.
Will do that when I have time.

Thanks a lot for your help, purrkurr (cheers to Voxell, too) :)
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

OK, so here is the mistake:

Code: Select all

OK, so /dev/hdg is your disk. You are missing the "number" that points out the partition. If you take a look at your /dev/hde disk setup you see what I am talking about:

/dev/hde1 /mnt/win_c vfat auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde5 /mnt/win_d vfat auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde6 /mnt/win_e ntfs auto,user 0 2
/dev/hde7 /mnt/win_g ntfs auto,user 0 2 
There you got 1,5,6 and 7 which are two vfat partitions and two ntfs partitions respectively. When you state this:

You are basically telling Linux that there are no partitions, but mount the disk! The disk itself cannot be formatted for ext3. Only a partition on the disk can. No wonder Linux was having a hard time understanding :)

Next question: How do you find out what partitions exist on the disk? Hmm. There is a really good text tool for that which is simple to use. It is called "cfdisk". Run it like this on /dev/hdg:

cfdisk /dev/hdg
the output I got from running cfdisk /dev/hdb on my system gave me this:

cfdisk 2.12q

Disk Drive: /dev/hdb
                                             Size: 40020664320 bytes, 40.0 GB
                                   Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 4865

Name              Flags            Part Type       FS Type               [Label] Size (MB)
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      hdb1                                Primary        Linux ReiserFS                               40015.99

This should bring you a list of partitions on the disk and what file system is being used if they in fact exist. If you are not familiar with this program and what it does then simply exit by using the arrow keys to find "quit" and press enter. You have to run it as root too.

On top of that you have to edit your fstab. If you only got the console and no gui then what you can do is to run something like "nano" which is an editor which is easier to use than vi/vim. Just make sure you do a copy of fstab before you begin editing (cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old).

As for qtparted, it is a KDE program but it is not delivered with the standard KDE packages (like so many others). However, most distros use qtparted, as well as most of the live CD distros for working with partitions.

as a footnote (and I am sorry if you already know this and I am boring you), but "QT" in "qtparted" is the name of the GUI toolkit that KDE builds upon. If you run KDE then you need to install QT as well (just like Gnome uses GTK). QT is made by Trolltech which is a Norwegian company.

Let me know if you have further questions....
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Voxell

Post by Voxell »

I installed my new Maxtor 10 250 Gb hd in my bp6 last week and it runs very smoothly.

I had to do buy some extra hardware to get it working. I bought this ide/raid controller http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13237 for just 26,- euros.

With this card I got LBA48 support and I have all my 3 harddisk running on this controller now.

Advantage is that my harddisks now run at 133 mb/s instead of the 66 mb/s of the hpt366.

I have 1 seagate barracuda 120 gb as primary master, 1 120 gb maxtor diamond 9 120 gb as primary slave and 1 maxtor diamond 250 gb as secondary master.

I haven't tried to connect the 250 gb harddisk to the hpt or to the on board ide controller and wanted to be safe to get my harddisk working... (and for 26 euros, it wasn't such a big deal...)
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Good call Voxell, and by buying the card you also get to run your disks at a faster speed. What operating system are you running?
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel