Peripherals, parts, data storage...
p3n1x

hpt66 bootup problem

Post by p3n1x »

ok, it goes like this

running win2k with latest and greatest updates

system has 1ide drive which is boot. on ide1
i have a cd-r and a cd-r/rw on ide 2

i have 4 drives on my ata100 controller card.

windows is loaded and boots fine

i then install hpt drivers...ver 1.28 (my bios is using 1.28 too)
i reboot, windows loads fine its ok

i then take the cdr and cdrw off ide2 and put them on ide3 (being the hpt66 controller) i boot....windows gets stuck loading where the blue bars go across...it will never load....

i take them off ide3 and put on ide4...being the 2nd hpt controller...still no go.

i put them back on ide2, and windows will boot up fine no problems, and still sees the controllers in device manager, no problems there....

now it has worked in the past, but now its not.

another thing to note, it does the same thing in winxp. but if i run server 2k3, it is fine, it will load with the cdr and rw on the hpt66 controllers...

so theres my story. :)

any ideas?

*now goes off to search the forum
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

!bump!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The part about everything working fine under Win2K3 Server, suggests to me that Win2KPro has a "bug" in the OS. May be one of the updates or service packs "broke" Win2kPro. Are you running SP4 on Win2KPro? There may be a HotFix from MicroSoft that corrects this "bug".
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The only worthwhile thihg to do with this HPT366 is to disable it totally. add another PCI card if you need to connect so mant devices.
Zero point energy
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

i guess it must be
but xp does the same thing
coincidence?

ive tried installs and reinstalls, and no go for it :(
true the hpt66 thing sux, but id like to use it. just for cd drives, no hdd's
and about the pci slots addin another card....
i have 2 nics, a modem, a soundcard, and the controller card. im outta space....anyhow, ill look into it some more, but ah well
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Add Adaptec USB 2.0 card & remove (PCI?) modem - Switch to USB modem.
Buy $24 CoolMax CD-509-U2 external USB2.0 drive enclosure(s) 5.25'/3.5" & run the HPT366 device(s) on USB2.0
available at => Directron.com

If time=money the HPT366 will soon make you very poor.
Zero point energy
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

then im a rich man, cuz i hardly ever mess with it

always caught up with work and life.......i just leave them on the regular ide2.....my ata100 card is filled with 4 120gigs.....ah well, no matter anyhow
Cerealkiller

Post by Cerealkiller »

I have a similar if not the same problem. Aparantly, with the newer BIOSes and drivers yo can't run 2 IDE devices on a single cable. If anyone can prove me wrong, please post what bois and driver combo you are using.
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

good greif...nearly 2 years after this thread....and im contemplating ressurecting my oldass bp6, i just need a new case, nothing fancy, just a tower, beige box, nothing bling bling ya know......ill be around here more often hopefully

but as it is, i fixed all those problems awhile back, and im sure everytrhing is working 110%....i just need to get a half decent case now.
Its dangerous on the internets
KliK

Post by KliK »

no CD, CDRW, DVD or DVDRW doesn't work on ATA66/100/133...so that is your problem solution...they only work on ATA33!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

also on most of the boards, CDs & DVDs are sugested to contected on secondary IDE port, 0cause that port is only ATA33!!! :D :D
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Klik, where do you get your information from??
KliK wrote:no CD, CDRW, DVD or DVDRW doesn't work on ATA66/100/133...so that is your problem solution...they only work on ATA33!!
This isn't true. My DVD player for instance has an ATA/ATAPI-5 interface which translates into Ultra DMA66. So you are wrong when you generalize and say that no optical drivers work with interfaces other than regular ATA33.
KliK wrote:also on most of the boards, CDs & DVDs are sugested to contected on secondary IDE port, 0cause that port is only ATA33!!
Uh. No. I don't know what you mean by "secondary IDE port", if you mean the slave of each IDE channel or if you mean the second IDE channel, but I assure you that none of the motherboards I have worked with has a secondary channel that is slower than the primary. This is simply not true.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that if you connect two devices with two different interfaces (meaning not the same speed) as the master and slave on the same channel then the channel (both master and slave) will be geared down to run at the speed which corresponds to the slower of the two devices.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

Gentlemen, I'm quite confused. It is my understanding that the HPT366 controller is not compatible with optical drives (unless I'm thinking of an add-in ATA controller card that is installed in a different machine.) I do not believe I have sucessfully connected a drive to the HPT366 that was not a hard drive or zip floppy drive or super disk floppy drive. If I remember correctly I attempted to connect a DVDROM burner drive to the HPT366 without success before I read a disclaimer saying that optical drives were incompatible with the controller. My DVDROM burner is also ATAPI-5 and I was concerned about insufficient data throughput. I have a large supply of 2x DVD-R's so have not had an occasion to test a high speed burn with the drive connected to the normal motherboard IDE ports.

Regards,

s4
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

s4brains,
No, you are not confused.(I'm the resident expert on confused after all)

What you said about optical drives and HPT366 is correct. Some folks have reported sucess in using opticals on the '366 but most have just faced frustration when trying that combination.

Many don't trust the HPt666 for anything. I just gave my father-in-law my BP6 with only one safe CPU socket and since speed wont impress him but failure will...I left '366s unused.

Purrkur,
I thought if you use a UDMA2 as master and a PIO3 as slave the master would work at UDMA2 speed. Is that wrong?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote: This isn't true. My DVD player for instance has an ATA/ATAPI-5 interface which translates into Ultra DMA66. So you are wrong when you generalize and say that no optical drivers work with interfaces other than regular ATA33.
well, yeah, your DVD is ATA66...but most of the others aren't! in general, almost all of them can only owrk on ATA33!
purrkur wrote: Uh. No. I don't know what you mean by "secondary IDE port", if you mean the slave of each IDE channel or if you mean the second IDE channel, but I assure you that none of the motherboards I have worked with has a secondary channel that is slower than the primary. This is simply not true.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that if you connect two devices with two different interfaces (meaning not the same speed) as the master and slave on the same channel then the channel (both master and slave) will be geared down to run at the speed which corresponds to the slower of the two devices.
on other boards, you don't have HPT66 device and you don't have 4 IDE conectors (for 8 units)...on common boards you have 2 connectors (4 units), and usually IDE1 is ATA66/100/133 and the IDE2 is only ATA33, 'cause most of the CD & DVD units are only ATA33!
of course, on some you might find both ports with all ATA speeds...in which purrkurs advice is great...

do you have more problems with the board & booting?!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

KliK wrote:on common boards you have 2 connectors (4 units), and usually IDE1 is ATA66/100/133 and the IDE2 is only ATA33, 'cause most of the CD & DVD units are only ATA33!
of course, on some you might find both ports with all ATA speeds...in which purrkurs advice is great...
klik, Id re-consider before making a blanket statement like "on common boards" when discribing computer equipment. I agree with you that there are "some" boards with ide1 having different specs then ide2, but I gota go with purrkur on this one. Nearly every board Ive used if ide1 has higher capabilities then just ATA33...ide2 usually has the same. Also you are unlikely to still be able to buy a brand new optical drive that is only ATA33 capable. As technology continues to speed up no manufacturer wants to sell "older/slower" stuff so...
KliK wrote:do you have more problems with the board & booting?!
p3n1x,
I think that question was for you, not purrkur.
Good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote: Purrkur,
I thought if you use a UDMA2 as master and a PIO3 as slave the master would work at UDMA2 speed. Is that wrong?
Yep. That is true. I can't really remember the speed of PIO3 (I think it was 13.3 MB/s) but I know for sure that PIO4 is 16.6 MB/s. If you have a second device running UDMA 33 or UDMA 66 on the same channel then both devices will be running at max speed that PIO3 will give you.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

KliK wrote:well, yeah, your DVD is ATA66...but most of the others aren't! in general, almost all of them can only owrk on ATA33!
Yep. Most DVD's/CD-ROM's are only ATA33. Buy Pioneer if you want ATA66 support. However, there is no technical reason for this choice and in fact, it really sucks that you can't buy optical players are not based on ATA133 standard. Now that we are seeing DVD/CD-ROM players for SATA showing up, those are using the full speed SATA interface though. However, on a technical level, a CD/DVD doesn't even come close to ever needing ATA33 speeds. You see, A CD-ROM has a 1x speed of 150KB/s. So if you have a CD-ROM with a speed of 52x then we are talking about a maximum theoretical throughput during the best of conditions that reaches 7.8 MB/s. This means that a 52x CD-ROM drive doesn't come close to saturating a PIO4 interface.
KliK wrote:on common boards you have 2 connectors (4 units), and usually IDE1 is ATA66/100/133 and the IDE2 is only ATA33, 'cause most of the CD & DVD units are only ATA33!
You see, this is where I strongly disagree with you. I remember in an earlier argument you had with Billl on this forum where you spoke of getting facts to prove a point. I simply can't accept this as fact from you without having something from you that backs this up. I simply think that it is not true. So I ask you now to provide data to prove your point. I would like to see documentation on common chipsets where the secondary IDE channel is crippled to ATA33 whereas the primary channel is ATA66 or higher.

I am not saying that what you are talking about isn't true. I am just saying that if it does exist then it is rare at best. It is definitely not common.

So it is up to you to provide proof for your argument, which you have pushed twice into the discussion already so you must be really convinced.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur, I think you are right...i did a little search on this old link and most of the boards had identical IDE ports...

must be some strage motherboards i was working on, that had not only different color of the IDE ports, but also different speeds supported on them...sorry!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

No probs. Even I (gosh!) can be wrong at times!

But that almost never happens :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur wrote:No probs. Even I (gosh!) can be wrong at times!
Nah. Not in this lifetime.
(be quite billl)
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

KliK and davd_bob

yes, the board is booting fine, no problems with it, let it run prime95 for 48 hours, stable at like 523mhz or whatever it was 517mhz, i think i left it at default of 2.00v of maybe 2.05v cuz it loads at around 35 to 37c, not bad.

but im just usin some ata100 controller card, and a 120gb hdd to boot with, also have the cdrom on port 2 of that ata100 controller, no problems with it, its still humming along :)
Its dangerous on the internets
Billl

Post by Billl »

davd_bob wrote:
purrkur wrote:No probs. Even I (gosh!) can be wrong at times!
Nah. Not in this lifetime.
(be quite billl)
Moi?

Billl
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

:)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd