[ KB ] Q6 VTT $2 Fix

Derek
Site Admin

[ KB ] Q6 VTT $2 Fix

Post by Derek »

Initial Symptoms
Q6 VTT Voltage radically fluctuates more than .35-.5+V and constant lockups when not overclocked.

Here is a pic of how to check if your mobo may be affected:
You should be looking to see if your mobo is Revision 1.1, Version 0.41

Response from Abit UK:
We are aware of a problem with BP6s running two CPUs.

This problem only applies to assembly revision 1.1, board version 0.41 mainboards that have a Unisem produced regulator at location Q6 and a 100uF capacitor at location EC10.

The board version can be found on the underside of the board, by the keyboard/mouse socket ... If you are competent to modify the board yourself (or know someone who is), then all that is required is to replace the EC10 capacitor with one, value 1500uF/6.3v.
Solutions:
1. Contact Abit and see about getting a replacement (RMA).
2. Contact the store you bought it from and get an RMA.
3. Buy a $2 part from Radio Shack and fix it yourself.
4. Replace the EC10 capacitor with one, value 1500uF/6.3v. Clicke here for a howto. (recommended over the VTT fix)

Warnings:
1. The VTT mod or EC10 mod will immediately void your warranty on your mobo.
2. You may burn your fingers.
3. You might not need to do this mod at all, and may end up killing your mobo.

Now that that is out of the way, I bring to you the info I acquired from a fellow BP6 user that performed the Q6 mod successfully. This mod was originally thought up by somethingburning. BP6.Com assumes no responsibility for any damage caused by performing this solution. Thanks to Weaser for the pics and information.

The first picture is before....you can see the Q6
regulator to the left and a little above center it has US1050 on it. All I did was cut the legs on it (interesting note, when I did the plastic on the chip cracked...not usually a sign of high quality). Then solder my radio shack lm317t (which is rs part number 276-1778, costs $1.99 plus tax) right on top of the old one. It is very hard to solder, due to the close placement of one of the coils. Pin 2 of the original chip is not connected to the board, but the tab on back (which is connected to pin 2) is solder to the board . So you have to bend the middle pin on your new part back and solder to the tab. It does work for me....VTT variation went from 1.35-1.70 (0.35V swing) down to 1.47-1.52 (0.05V swing). Hope this helps. The second picture of course is after.

later,
weaser

Here is another angle of the Unisem Voltage regulator removed and replaced with the Radio Shack version:
Last edited by Derek on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Monitor VTT while you are running Windows and Seti. If VTT has wide voltage swings, you may want to consider replacing the EC10 capacitor.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Use MotherBoard Monitor, MBM. We have it in Files. Look under Utilities.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
gothboy

Post by gothboy »

This may be an old thread, but I have to say:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how many HUNDREDS of times my Abit BP6 has crashed/frozen before doing this simple fix! I had tried everything, even going out and buying a Promise IDE card and replacing my video card.

This is WELL WORTH the $1.99 and should be posted more prominently in a FAQ on bp6.com. Hell, it should be at the top of the page in big bold letters!
kroddy

Post by kroddy »

:D :D :D :D

Thank-you!!! Thank-you!!! Thank-you!!!!

This fix really works...

I've been lurking here on and off for almost three years.
My original BP6 died (leaky caps) and i bought a replacement on EBay...

Got it all put together and Win2K3 would freeze hard as soon as I tried to do anything graphical. Even bringing up MBM Dashboard would kill it. I've now been running for 45 minutes, played a movie while running RC5 and pushed my 433s to 507. I'm even posting this from a remote desktop session.

Now to get it back in the case so I can get some cooling on it... then I'll be trying out my new soldering iron on the capacitors on the original board.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

We aim to please. :lol:

Most Xcellent!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Jaros wrote:I'm afraid that it doesn't fix the problem for me.
I own a BP6 with this bloody EC10. It's used in my home internet router and runs Debian Woody on 2.4.20 kernel. It's equipped with two Cel500MHz (no OC), DLink 530TX (home network), external modem attached to COM1, and ATI Rage Fury AGP just to provide text console, 128MB RAM (single bank), one Barracuda 7200 40GB. I replaced original northbidge heatsink with a big one that is more than sufficient. My system consumes relatively low power (almost only CPUs), it's powered with a good, stable and low-noise PSU. The CPU cooling is fine (no more that 46degc on full load).
The problem is that I could not obtain more than 1 week uptime. The system locks up after 1h-10d of runing, saying nothing about the reasons. I realized that it shows symptoms of unstable VTT readings, then I did the EC10 fix. It improved the VTT stability, but it didn't change anything in lockups stats:( The VTT now ocassionally climbs up to 1.55V and doesn't drop below 1.46V. Other voltages are pretty stable.
I'm trying to investigate the reason of this hangs for a long time. I wouldn't give up this mobo for other. If someone has any idea how to blow these problems away, please let me now. I plan to:
1. Test another NIC (is it possible to be caused by SMP-related problem of VIA RHINE driver?).
2. Try the Q6 VTT fix (need to find the VR) and possibly use even bigger cap (now my EC10 is 1kmfd 10V).
If you have any suggestion/knowledge about 2.4.20 and BP6 compatibility issues, please save my mind...
Try a 2200uF 10V capacitor, first. Usually a 1500uF is sufficient but many BP6ers found that 2200uF was the solution.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Re: Vtt and EC10 - a following story

Post by purrkur »

finetune wrote:- A maintenance and stabilization of ABIT BP6 -

Some unstable factors resulting from the mother board when overclocking the 'Celeron 366' in dual operation are resolved and came to carry out stable operation at 100MHz FSB.

http://www.finetune.jp/~lyuka/interests/pc/bp6.html

How do you like this? Please forgive me for bad english.
Hi there Finetune!

I had a great time reading through your article. It was well presented and well thought out. One question for you: my fan headers are not working. Do you have any idea what component could be broken? I am pretty sure it is a transistor that is used for the pwm control but since I got my BP6 working 24/7 I haven't been able to do any work on this. Any help would be appreciated.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Some unstable factors resulting from the mother board when overclocking the 'Celeron 366' in dual operation are resolved and came to carry out stable operation at 100MHz FSB.

What an excellent article, finetune! Thank you for sharing that.

If you would like I can add it to the BP6.Com Article database. I think it would be a great addition.

Derek
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Finetune, Thanks for this effort.

GREAT documentation effort on a well setup and executed test.

It was interesting reading to say the least. The word usage requires some imagination to understand what is being communicated in places.

I grasped much but just missed comprehending enough bits and pieces that it was frustrating to me.

What was the coment about where it mentions
"heat sink was attached at a trial to W83977EF"

I vote for Derek adding it to the article database.

Thanks,
David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Its pwm output drives Q4 for FAN1 and Q2 for FAN2.
Your BP6 might have broken transistor(s). Check and replace one/some of Q1,Q2,Q3 and Q4.
Hello again Finetune,

Thanks, that was precisely what I was looking for! I know all about the W83732D and I have read the specifications through as well. If you run Linux then you can find info on this forum written by myself on how to get sensors working as well as how to control the pwm functions in order to control fan speeds. The only thing I didn't know was what transistors were used as outputs for the fan headers.

Who knows, I might decide to stop running my BP6 in order to change the transistors and the EC10 cap as well. Do you know what type of transistors Q1-Q4 are?
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

When my next BP6 arrives in a few days and it'll not run at 100MHz FSB from stock, i gonna give your mod a try...maybe, you could provide some better pictures ??

PS: Thank you for this great mod...it is very nice to see people bring out new mods for this great mobo.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

finetune: No had not heard of xmbmon before so I tried it out on my BP6. It didn't really catch my fancy. I mostly use gkrellm to monitor my systems and if I am working on the command line (which is often) I usually end up using "sensors" command to get an idea how my system is doing.

I will be looking into the transistor stuff later on. I got to remove the BP6 from the box though so I am not sure when it will happen, but I will end up pulling it out to do some modding/fixing.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

hy,
i've got a board that has some VTT problems, and winXP is hanging beacuse of it...for now, it's stable, with replacing EC10 with 1500(mikro)F/10V capacitor...
now i'm thinking about q6 problem...in your article, you say that LM317T or LM350T wont do the trick!
the problem is that i cannot find LT1585CT...so is there some other VRM that i can put in there? what do u think about LM338T?!

p.s. this is a zip file what can be found in store...what do u sugest?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.