Flashing your BP6 BIOS.

Frequently asked questions about the BP6.

Moderator: hyperspace

hyperspace
Board Admin

Flashing your BP6 BIOS.

Post by hyperspace »

Do I need to flash my BIOS?

Yes, we recommend flashing your BIOS to the latest popular BIOS. You can check the BIOS page for the latest update. The latest and unfortunately the last BIOS update from Abit is RU. Our BIOS updates contain many modified RU revisions. HPT366 BIOS updates, Pentium III Micro Code updates, Color ABit BP6 Logo, and some with the HPT366 disabled.

Here is the complete BIOS flashing process for the BP6. Remember, from this point on, we hope you know what you are doing...

Note: These instructions do not use a DOS boot disk. You can place the files that are used to flash the BIOS on a DOS boot disk and follow the instructions listed below. Also, some of the information listed below, is specific to different versions of Windows. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure if ABit wrote this or if Award did. It was in the NJ BIOS Update ZIP file. I only edited a couple things, so what you read is the original README file. I didn't add the "Good Luck!" at the end, but it is appropriate.

Read on!

BIOS Readme[ Readme ] BIOS Upgrade Instruction

In order to flash update the BIOS, you will need 2 files: The BIOS binary file and AWDFLASH.EXE utility file. Create a directory or folder on your C: and name it BIOS. Download the BIOS file you needed (the latest revision always covers the updates from previous revisions), i.e. BH6FU.EXE, and download the AWDFLASH.EXE into the new BIOS directory. Execute the BIOS file, then it will automatically self-decompress into a binary file, i.e. BH6_FU.BIN. You can execute the file by double clicking it inside Windows Explorer, or run it under DOS. Take a piece of paper and write down AWDFLASH.EXE and the name of the BIOS binary file.

Shut down your computer properly, then turn it off. Restart the computer, press DEL to go into the BIOS, then please disable the following:

CPU Internal Cache
CPU External Cache
Video BIOS Cacheable
Video BIOS Shadow

Save it, then restart the computer press Ctrl + F5, just before Windows starting up, for a clean boot, you will get the message "Windows is bypassing all your startup files" and you end up at the DOS prompt. Type in "cd BIOS" to go into your newly created directory. Type AWDFLASH newbios.bin /py /cc /sn /cd, where newbios.bin is the file name for the BIOS binary file you want your BIOS to upgrade to. For example, updating BH6 (bh6_fu.bin), you would type:

AWDFLASH bh6_fu.bin /py /cc /sn /cd

After the flash update is completed, power off your computer, then discharge the CMOS with the jumper (detailed instructions are in the BP6 manual). Power the computer back on, press DEL to go into BIOS, then please:

Load the Setup Default. Go into CPU Softmenu to adjust your CPU speed and voltage (please make sure the CPU voltage matches your CPU specs). Save it and Exit it.

Good Luck!
bryanandrews

Flashed and now only see 1 processor at start

Post by bryanandrews »

Hey Guys,

I set up this bp6 years ago and overclocked it to 466 (i *believe* these are 333s). I'm not an overclock guy and this was the extent of my overclocking experience.

We are using this server as a backup server now and just recently flashed the mobo to the newest release (v) and just rolled it back to (u) in an attempt to get the second processor to show up.

I followed the instructions here explicitly. I set my power to userdefined and 2.1 v and the processor to 466(66), though i can't find where to disable "speed error hold" that is referenced in the FAQ here.

Anyway, it starts but only sees one proc at startup and in windows. Any help or tips are appreciated...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Flashed and now only see 1 processor at start

Post by hyperspace »

bryanandrews wrote:Hey Guys,

I set up this bp6 years ago and overclocked it to 466 (i *believe* these are 333s). I'm not an overclock guy and this was the extent of my overclocking experience.

We are using this server as a backup server now and just recently flashed the mobo to the newest release (v) and just rolled it back to (u) in an attempt to get the second processor to show up.

I followed the instructions here explicitly. I set my power to userdefined and 2.1 v and the processor to 466(66), though i can't find where to disable "speed error hold" that is referenced in the FAQ here.

Anyway, it starts but only sees one proc at startup and in windows. Any help or tips are appreciated...
Welcome to BP6.com, bryanandrews !

Without overclocking, do you "see" two processors?
Last edited by hyperspace on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
bryanandrews

Post by bryanandrews »

Hmmm.... i might need some help with setting it back. Is it more likely that this being set at 466 is a 300 or 333 celeron?

Thanks for any tips. I am digging through the manual and google now...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hey bryanandrews!

CPU-Z should give you some useful information about your processors without having to dig around in the BIOS.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Run the program and let us know what the FSB and Clock Multiplier readings are from within CPU-Z.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
bryanandrews

Post by bryanandrews »

Uhg - Multiplier and FSB and bus speed are greyed out. :|

----------------------
CPU-Z version 1.26
----------------------

CPUID Output
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of CPUs 1
Name Intel Celeron
Code name Mendocino
Specification Intel Celeron
Family/Model/Stepping 665
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Core Stepping mB0
Technology 0.25µ
Instructions Sets MMX
Clock Speed 467.8 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 128 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 467.8 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

eax ebx ecx edx
Function 00000000 00000002 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
Function 00000001 00000665 00000000 00000000 0183fbff
Function 00000002 03020101 00000000 00000000 0c040841

Chipset

Memory Type
Memory Size 256 MBytes

Memory SPD

No SPD information available

Monitoring

DMI

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
DirectX Version 7.0a
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

bryanandrews,
Do you feel confident to get into the bios when the system boots? Hit del while its counting the ram, and choose the top item on the left side when the bios screen comes up.

Look at the FSB and miltiplier and voltage settings there. The multiplier is locked in the processor so you can divide 466 by the FSB to see wat it should be set at in the bios. You are probably on 92fsb.

BTW, look at the cap on the board for bulging and leakage.

Let us know what you find.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
bryanandrews

Post by bryanandrews »

it reads :

466(66)

Turbo disabled.

CPU Power - Default
2.0v
2.0v

Thanks for the help!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

bryanandrews wrote:it reads :
466(66)
466(66) means you have 466s running at 66MHz. You can change this setting to user defined...at which time the
"error hold=enabled/disabled"
option will come up.

If the hardware is ok you could probably OC to 75MHz without further hardware changes to the system.

If I understand the real issue, it is that something doesn't see both processors. Has this system ever seen DUAL processors? I know Windows has to be loaded with both processors showing up or it will load UNI-CPU version, and you have to manually change the configuration to get Windows to see the second CPU.
Can anyone explain that process for me?

Since the system is running at 66FSB on boot up during the POST, just after the ram check it finished you should see 2, processors
show up on the same line as the ram total. If that isn't happening there is a hardware problem. FIRST look at the capacitors for leakage and bulging. Then pull one CPU and try the system, then pull the other and try again.

Good luck

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
bryanandrews

Post by bryanandrews »

Well I set this after the bios update because it was bitching at me at startup... so i set it back up to what it originally was.

Yes it was running both procs before this bios update.

I guess i just need to start from the beginning -- is there anyway to know what speed the processor really is so i can get it back to a stock config?

How would i change it back to stock.

BTW this server has ran for years as dual 466 with no problems...

Thanks for all the help!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

bryanandrews wrote:it reads :
466(66)
Turbo disabled.
The above setting would force the FSB to 66 and then the processor speed that shows on the boot screen is the actual speed of the processor.

Although it is recomended to use matched stepping processors for balance you can use missmatched speed processors. You mentioned 333s in a prev post. Why do you think you have 333s? Maybe you have a 333 and a 466.

Does anyone know what would show on the screen if mismatched CPUs are used?

Does anyone know how to set the multiplier if using mismatched speed CPUs?

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
bryanandrews

Post by bryanandrews »

I know the processors are matched. they are either 300s or 333s i just don't remember.

is there anything else i should be trying to set in the bios? Chipset settings, anything in any of the other screens?

Thanks!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

D'oh! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Adrian's Rojak Pot BIOS Optimization Guide

This should answer most if not all of your questions, bryanandrews.
-> BP6.com Membership <-
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Another thought: Try Intel's own Processor Frequency ID Utility.

Once installed, run the program and go to the "Frequency Test" page. This should tell you the expected speed and any overclocked speed you are running at.

-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Unfortunately, this utility will not support the original Celerons'. 533A is as low as it goes. :cry: It will identify the Celeron(s) but the Frequency Test will not work.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

hyperspace wrote:Unfortunately, this utility will not support the original Celerons'. 533A is as low as it goes. :cry: It will identify the Celeron(s) but the Frequency Test will not work.
Ack! Sorry about that. My BP6 is in bits, so I couldn't test it.

I went on this:
Beginning with the Pentium® processor, this utility provides consumers with the ability to determine standard CPU identification of Intel processors...
Any other ideas, other than going into the BIOS setup?
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

InactiveX wrote:Any other ideas, other than going into the BIOS setup?
Well, I am wondering if the "CMOS was Discharged" after the BIOS upgrade flash.

Did you use the mainboard's CCMOS jumper switch to "discharge the CMOS" by shorting pins 2-3 after the flashing process?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...