BP6 BIOS Beep Codes

Frequently asked questions about the BP6.

Moderator: hyperspace

hyperspace
Board Admin

BP6 BIOS Beep Codes

Post by hyperspace »

This information comes from the ABit Forum. This only lists the Award Beep codes. Any other errors will be given an on-screen error.

1 Long Beep: Memory problem

Explanation: There is a failure of some sort related to the system memory.
Diagnosis: The first bank of memory probably has a failure of some sort; this is usually just a physical problem such as an incorrectly inserted module, but may also mean a bad memory chip in a module. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.
Recommendation:
  • Treat as an apparent memory failure.
  • Troubleshoot the motherboard.
1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.
Recommendation:
  • Troubleshoot the video card.
  • If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.
1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.
Recommendation:
  • If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.
Continuous Beeping: Memory or Video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.
Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.
Recommendation:
  • Troubleshoot the system memory.
  • Troubleshoot the motherboard.
Other Beep Codes

Explanation: You have encountered an Award BIOS beep code I do not have documented.
Diagnosis: Award says that any beep patterns other than "one long followed by two short" are likely problems with the system memory. However, of late they have started adding other Beep Codes to their systems as well.
Recommendation:
  • If you have recently flashed the system BIOS on this machine and corrupted the BIOS, and the system supports the boot block feature, the beeps may be codes communicating the status of the system as it tries to recover from the failed flash procedure. This is especially likely if the floppy drive is accessed very early in the boot process.
  • Contact the vendor of the system or motherboard. They often have more specific information on Beep Codes.
  • Troubleshoot as an apparent memory problem.
  • Troubleshoot as an apparent motherboard problem.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Welcome, Mentis. :)

Have you tried clearing the CMOS using the CCMOS jumper on the motherboard?
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

have you looked at the caps?
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i believe abit will replace them for $25

iirc but im not sure
!!! WARNING !!!

leebacsi

Post by leebacsi »

Ok, get this... I recently acquired a used BP6 board. It's kinda weird though. I have 2x Cel500A CPUs installed, an S3 video card in PCI1 and a 256 SD (high density) RAM stick installed in DIMM1. All this, with a 400W CodeGen ATX power supply. I push the power switch and presto: the CPU fans start up, the power supply fan starts up, but the system doesn't. No beep codes, whatsoever.

Now I know that BP6 can't handle high density SD sticks, but the board starts up now and then (seemingly randomly, really) and it runs OK with detected 128 MB RAM. I don't get memory beep codes if I remove the SD stick, even though I should, since the system doesn't start, only the fans. I can't really tell why the board starts sometimes, and why it doesn't the next time. :umm:

The CPUs and the HPT chip are cold as ice, which suggest that only the fans start rotating, but the system seems to start in suspend mode for some reason... :?

Now I've used a BP6 board about 3-4 years ago (until some caps leaked and sold it), and this didn't ever occur, even though I use the same CPUs as in the latter, which were never overclocked. This board however has the original factory BIOS, which of course I tried to flash with the latest RU image (on one of the rare occasions, when the board started up:), but AWDFLASH said something about a chip error while trying to program the image (the old BIOS save was successful though). I even changed the BIOS battery for a new one. After each reboot attempt - either by the RESET switch, CTRL-ALT-DEL, or saving the BIOS settings - the board simply shut down.

I've checked all the hardware - caps, jumper settings and even for shorts - to no avail. Pls help, this is quite frustrating, because the board works fine when it's on, but how to turn it on? :screwy:
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hmm

sounds like you've got a problem with either bad caps or a bad bios
!!! WARNING !!!

InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I agree, both of you (leebacsi and mantis) sound like your caps are giving up the ghost.

mantis: Try http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=home

leebacsi: Hello there! My family are Hungarians (but we're in the UK now). :)
leebacsi

Post by leebacsi »

Hmm, since all the caps look OK, I too suppose it's a BIOS problem... well, thanx for the help anyway, I'll try to find a working BP6 BIOS chip then :)

InactiveX: Hiya there! Well, that's a surprise :) Seems like I bump into some kinsmen in the most unlikely places. "Kicsi a világ" as we used to say in our tongue :)
leebacsi

Post by leebacsi »

Well, I've acquired another BP6 board, but this time I saw it in action before disassembling :) I hope it works... wish me luck :)
leebacsi

Post by leebacsi »

It looks like it was a BIOS problem after all. The new board is up and going.. though I never thought that setting up an SMP Linux box could be so difficult :) Thanx 4 all the help, and merry Xmas by the way :)
loophole

Post by loophole »

Bulging caps are always a very bad sign - even if they're a little bit bulging they're not working as they should and won't be smoothing out voltage fluctuations like they should.

The bad caps that Abit used around the time of the BP6 and BE6 motherboards were actually cheap knock-offs that somehow slipped into the market (Abit aren't the only ones, but they're the only ones whose motherboards have a following :D ).

Check out:

http://solstice.kgadams.net/modules.php ... cle&sid=27

for a short summary; or:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/re ... /ncap.html

for all the details.

loophole.
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
loophole

Post by loophole »

I remember reading all this somewhere else, so I'll go and find out where it is and add a link here so I don't double post :D

loophole.
Last edited by loophole on Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loophole

Post by loophole »

Sorry, I just realised I was double posting all the info in:

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=458

I'll stop doing that :oops:

loophole.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

loophole wrote:Sorry, I just realised I was double posting all the info in:

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=458

I'll stop doing that :oops:

loophole.
:lol:
-Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Sometimes...

More is better. :lol:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
loophole

Post by loophole »

Especially when it comes to CPUs :D
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

with the bp6 turning on but nothing happening, ..
i had one of mine do this after the long hot days of early summer wiht no air-con.

so it sat for a while....
it's just back from the TV repair shop....
now the hdd in it upsets the psu.
so, get a cap job and check everything else, [stress]one thing at a time [/stress]
(dammit, too much emphasis, i mean ....
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

My BP6 died several a few years ago and I replaced it with an MSI 694D as it was the only other board to do dual Celeron. It was nowhere near as good a board as the BP6 and now it has brown stuff on some of its caps and it's not exactly stable with XP - but that could also be the flaky VIA chipset on that particular board. I found a post with the exact same thing that I did/experienced years ago on this message board (D'oh!). From http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=458 :
RichWeaver wrote:Power comes on, fans spin but nothing else. No beeps, no video. I read something about using an ISA video card instead of an AGP card but didn't try it. It died after I powered down the computer and replaced a card but neglected to remove the power cord. I may have fried it. I don't want to put any money in it if it is worthless.
After pulling cards without unplugging PSU (but still turning box off, of course), my box only displayed the video ROM, then part of the POST screen, then it stopped. I rebooted and then it displayed only the video ROM message. I rebooted again and it displayed nothing - and that's how it's been every time I drag the board out of the closet for another attempt to revive my favorite mobo. :cry: The CPU fans turn on, the PSU works with another mobo, everything spins up, but nothing is displayed on the monitor no matter what AGP or PCI video card I use.

A quick scan of the mobo doesn't reveal any obvious problems with the caps. The tops are all level and bright and shiny and the caps are upright. I haven't looked below the caps for any gunk yet tho'. I ran it overclocked most of the time I had it. An FSB of 83 took my two 433's to 541 and it was completely stable with just the stock HS/Fans. Amazing board. Any ideas? Can I send it back to Abit and have them fix it (for a cost) even if it's not the caps? I want my BP6 back...

-kat
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Well, I pulled the mobo and checked around the base of all the caps and found no leakage. Everything looked fine. It's a V1.0 board with an EC10 cap that's black and smaller than the ones nearby it. Does the way in which it died (rebooted "less and less each time") seem to indicate capacitor failure?
EC10 cap is black and smaller than the others nearby. Sticker on ISA slot says "V1.0".
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

katapaltes wrote:Well, I pulled the mobo and checked around the base of all the caps and found no leakage. Everything looked fine. It's a V1.0 board with an EC10 cap that's black and smaller than the ones nearby it. Does the way in which it died (rebooted "less and less each time") seem to indicate capacitor failure?
Welcome to BP6.Com, katapaltes !

Unfortunately, this seems to look like the classic capacitor problem/failure. The capacitors can be bad and still not show any outward signs of failure.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...