Win2k & WinXP together

OS / Drivers / BIOS
tomatoeboy

Win2k & WinXP together

Post by tomatoeboy »

Oh, first post in this section. Sweet! 8)

I've got WinXP installed on my BP6 but I've never really got that used to it, I think I still prefer Win2k :roll: Now I've got a copy of 2k back in my grubby mits I've tried to install it from within XP but it won't let me! If I try to install it from a boot disk it says that it can't find the boot sector of the drive (WinXP is on an NTFS partition which includes the boot sector).

Any ideas about how to get round this problem?
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

Have you tried booting fomr the CD? Make sure to specify a diffrent directors when installing 2K or you'll end up overwriting your XP install.
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

Vuke69 wrote:I've ran into that same problem.

It comes from a lame oversight on microsofts part. When you go to install 2K or XP you need a place for the setup program to copy files to, and for some dumb reason if you run setup from the prompt (either bootable CD or boot disks) this area must be FAT32 not NTFS.
I've installed NT4 and 2K to blank NTFS drives several times without formating them during the install. I've never heard of this being a problem.

This is is a bit of info taken fomr microsofts site.

"Keep in mind that Windows XP does not support dual-booting if both operating systems are on the same partition. Install Windows XP on a separate partition."

Also check out this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... N];Q306559
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The modem does not work in Win2K, XP or both?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

I use the 2k cd to start the installation, I loac the HPT drivers from floppy disk by pressin F5 when prompted. Then I select the HDD partition of choice and tell the setup app to leve the disk as it is, then a while later I have a installed 2k os.

Windows sets up Boot.ini onthe boot device (usally)

Using this method Ive reinstalled 2k and XP on my system many times, and the system has allways left my files alone. ( I shoudl really get around to doing a format and install sometime to clear out some of the dead folders in program files

hope this post help someone