WinXP WPA & new MBO...

OS / Drivers / BIOS
KliK

WinXP WPA & new MBO...

Post by KliK »

OK, now I've got new MBO (not to replace the BP6)...I want to chenge it in the system, without touching the HDD or graphics or RAM or NIC...I know that the WPA will try to make another activation, especially if i put another CPU inside (now it's P3 cooperimne, for Celeron Tualatin)...

1. if I replace only the MBO, will the WinXP try to activate? will it boot fine?
2. how long to generate the WPA key? 'cause maybe i'll run the new MBO for some time, and then switch to faster CPU...
3. any workaround that you know?

thanks for answers...
tenchimuyo93

Post by tenchimuyo93 »

yea it will activate at first boot, as for how long you have to reactivate i have no idea it been awhile.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

The XP system takes inventory of the system at activation. Its a 10 point inventory.

A one point change is ok, like changing a nic this month and the vid card next month cause they only count for one point each.

MOBO counts for 3 points, so the inventory will fail and XP will think you are trying to violate the copyright.

There is a key you can record before the change, and after the change you can copy it back in...and it might save the effort...but I think that is only for a clean reinstalling on the same equipment.

You will have to re-activate. Within 30 days. In your case it will be easy as long as you can call by phone because the online activation will fail no matter what you try(try it anyway) but when you call them on a toll free number and tell them you changed the MOBO they will give you a verbal code to put in. When I had to deal with them, the stress was on them making sure I guaranteed that only one system was running that COA.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

davd_bob wrote:When I had to deal with them, the stress was on them making sure I guaranteed that only one system was running that COA.
I've heard it said that the quickest way to convince them of this is to claim your motherboard was fried by an electrical fault/lightning storm.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with WPA. Sounds like a royal pain.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

InactiveX wrote:
davd_bob wrote:When I had to deal with them, the stress was on them making sure I guaranteed that only one system was running that COA.
I've heard it said that the quickest way to convince them of this is to claim your motherboard was fried by an electrical fault/lightning storm.quote]

That is exactly what I told them, then they were very cooperative.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

:)

Sounds like the way to do it then!
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
KliK

Post by KliK »

right now i'm running the piracy WinXP which is activated...and my MSDN key is locked with the old system! so that will be that...

back to piracy, here I go!