Page refresh

Billl

Page refresh

Post by Billl »

Anyone else having problems with pages refreshing on here? I've tried 3 differnt browsers with mostly the same results. FireFox 1.0 Netscape 7.2 And IE 6.0. I have to manually refresh the page each time to get the forum's to display current material.

Billl
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Could you elaborate?

Are you saying that when you return to a page, it's still displaying the contents from your last visit, and not the updated contents?
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Creating new posts and responding to existng posts, has to been slow after clicking Submit, for some time. Notice all the double and triple posts. This has happen before. Something to do with the database. I'll link this post to the Bug Report thread and email Derek.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Hi guys,

I know of the slow-posting but I am not clear about Billl's issue. Sounds like a caching problem to me.

I really need to update the read-history code.

Derek
-Derek
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I think maybe I'll just set a limit to 30days on the history. So, any posts made since 30days of your last visit to BP6.Com will not be flagged as unread.

That will help keep the speed of the site up. 500 megs worth of read-history in the database is a bit excessive :D
-Derek
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

hyperspace wrote:Creating new posts and responding to existng posts, has to been slow after clicking Submit, for some time. Notice all the double and triple posts. This has happen before. Something to do with the database. I'll link this post to the Bug Report thread and email Derek.
Just responded to your email Hype!
-Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Pages are loading much faster...

Submiting is much better! Should we see any lag or delay when submitting?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

hyperspace wrote:Pages are loading much faster...

Submiting is much better! Should we see any lag or delay when submitting?
Yes, You nailed it! Thanx, DD!
Last edited by hyperspace on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

When the message board is operating properly, there should be little to no delay from the moment you hit enter to viewing your new post.
-Derek
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I'm going to let the forums prune overnight. Usually BP6.Com slows to a crawl when the database is working.

So don't worry if you can't access the site for a little bit! :D
-Derek
Billl

Post by Billl »

InactiveX wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Could you elaborate?

Are you saying that when you return to a page, it's still displaying the contents from your last visit, and not the updated contents?
Yes but let me explain futher. If I go to the home page for instance, and I'm logged in. It always shows I have unread threads. Even if I do this after having just read everything. Of course when I go to read them it says you have no unread messages. And if I go back again to the main page it still shows I have the same number of unread messages. I can repeat this all night, with the same results.

Another problem that may or may not be related. The threads never disappear when I back out of them. Which in my mind should be handled by the page, but I could be wrong here? Because I always have to do a manual reload or nothing I've just read disappears. And since I tend to jump around a bit when I haven't been too diligent in keeping up with things. In a few mins I ain't got a clue what I've read or haven't so I have to do a manual reload. And then the threads I have viewed disappear.

Sometimes when I click on a thread it doesn't show all the replies. So then when I back out of it to the main list of unread threads and do a manual reload. The listing of that thread is still there. The thread still shows I haven't read it. So I go back in and manually reload the thread and then I see the newest replies. Now to me this seems like it's a problem with the board itself and not my browsers. Since this seems to work the same way no matter what computer I'm on (I have 7) or what browser I'm using (3).
Derek wrote:Hi guys,

I know of the slow-posting but I am not clear about Billl's issue. Sounds like a caching problem to me.

I really need to update the read-history code.

Derek
You could be onto something there. But at any rate this isn't meant as a criticisim of the board just an annoyance. So I hope you don't take it that way Derek. I think over all your doing a great job with this site.

Billl
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

this has been a problem, as noted.
i seem to remember, that if Derek does a reboot (I know, linux, not necessary) then the board works fine.
up to a point, where what ever gets kept a record of starts to get rather large to wade through, and it goes, day to day, slower and slower.
hence the double posts, and waiting 7 minutes for a submit to register.

if i close the browser, it's faster to get back in throught the board index, but sometimes.