what cpu should i get to upgrade my bp6

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

533Mhz is the fastest original Celeron you can use in the BP6.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
kylewo0

cpu

Post by kylewo0 »

hyperspace Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:21 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are you saying, that if i wanted to I can go out and purchase a 533mhz celeron, and replace my two 466's?
Hey, Don't Be Talking About My Motherboard -ADULT SWIM
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: cpu

Post by hyperspace »

kylewo0 wrote:hyperspace Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:21 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are you saying, that if i wanted to I can go out and purchase a 533mhz celeron, and replace my two 466's?
If you want to, you can replace both 466 CPU's with two 533 CPU's.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
kylewo0

Post by kylewo0 »

thats cool and all.....but i doubt that will get me to the speed i need.
I love this bp6.... its so fun to test but now dayz they have pentiums pushing 533fsb (how does any bp6 suppose to compete? I pushed these chips so far and they sill come through for meee , the speed is great in windows but in games......
Right now im getting 20 fps on ut2003.. any way you think i can get that higher with this mobo =) hahaha
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

No matter how much we love our BP6 boards, there comes a time when the street value it represents makes the cost of tyring to take it up another notch just too steep.

I won an EBAY bid at $40 for an ACORP Dual FCPGA P-III board with ATA100, RAID-100 integrated, 100-166 FSB support. Plus a $35 FCPGA-to-FCPGA2 adapter will let it run Single/Dual Tualatin series CPUs!

All the H/W from my dead BP6 transferred right over

ACORP 6A815EPD, PIII-1100E@1265MHz, 256 +128MB PC133, Maxtor 80GB/5400, Maxtor 27G/7200, Geforce2-MX400/64MB, SMC USB 802.11B LAN, MS-Natural KB-Pro USB, MS-Intellimouse Optical USB, Evercool 715 HSF, Antec 380W Quiet P/S, Kenwood 52X CDROM, Generic 16X DVD-ROM, LS120 Superfloppy, WinXP-Pro.
Last edited by RRLedford on Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

No, don't get the overpriced Powerleap adapter! Take that money & spend it on a newer generation motherboard. I just won my 2ND -New-ACORP dual P3 board in auction at EBayat $39.95
The main reason to keep an old BP6 system alive is to preserve the labor it takes for the Hdisk build for O/S and S/W installs.
If you start spending money for multiple items - you should not be restricted to the limited options that the BP6 allows!!
kylewo0

Post by kylewo0 »

Allright,, so i havnt looked to deep into getting a newboard just yet. But will most new mobo's take my hardware from this bp6???? for ex. my hard drive, cd-rom,and burner.....
so hopefully all i need is a board and which ever chip i choose??
kylewo0

Reload

Post by kylewo0 »

Hey i just wanted to make sure I understand this dual proccesor thing.
Since i have 2 celerons running 466's at 546.... for one is it ok for them to be running this high all the time as long as there is no problems. second question ( Combined they are almost producing 1.1 under dual processing software like windows 2000? But programs that dont except dual processors it will just be 546? is this correct?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Correct - non-SMP capable S/W runs on only one CPU.
But, since Win2K/XP can see both CPUs, it can put most of its load on the second CPU not running the App S/W. Still good & better than 1 dumb App plus O/S both running on same CPU
loophole

Post by loophole »

Yeah, the butter smooth response of an SMP system is very nice (assuming you don't run too many of the newer games, eg: Doom III, that require more pixel pushing power on the CPUs' end).
It's so nice to be able to have oodles of Netscape windows open while burning a CD or compiling an app, all of course while listening to music.

I had a Duron 1.3GHz for about a month and found that although the latest games did run a bit faster, I couldn't do all the same things that I could at the same time on the BP6 without them all suffering.

And, hey it's just plain cool to have two CPUs running SMP that were never meant to be run that way, in a motherboard that was only meant to last six months (due to future celerons being properly SMP disabled :cry: )
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

loophole wrote:Yeah, the butter smooth response of an SMP system is very nice (assuming you don't run too many of the newer games, eg: Doom III, that require more pixel pushing power on the CPUs' end).
It's so nice to be able to have oodles of Netscape windows open while burning a CD or compiling an app, all of course while listening to music.

I had a Duron 1.3GHz for about a month and found that although the latest games did run a bit faster, I couldn't do all the same things that I could at the same time on the BP6 without them all suffering.

And, hey it's just plain cool to have two CPUs running SMP that were never meant to be run that way, in a motherboard that was only meant to last six months (due to future celerons being properly SMP disabled :cry: )
Very nice! I totally agree! . . . 8)

. . . . Two or more is the wave of the future...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...