Dual PIII Tuallies Project - everyone please contribute!

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
sparky1024

Dual PIII Tuallies Project - everyone please contribute!

Post by sparky1024 »

Hey everyone,

I've purchased a BP6 with two 466 Celeries for $25 the other day, should be arriving soon. My ultimate goal is to get two 1.4Gig PIIIs happily running in SMP on this baby.

This seems to be a near-impossible task, I'd settle for running them at 100 or similar FSB. From reading many many posts about this topic it seems a lot of motherboard modding is needed to even get a single p3 tuallie happy.

I need two ppga to fcpga adapters and also two Upgradeware 370GU's (fcpga 1 to fcpga2). Anyone know where to pick these up in Australia?

I want to also encourage discussion about successes/failures in getting to this ultimate goal and who has come close (anyone get two P3 tuallies to boot at say 66/75/100/133 FSB?) what mods/bios rev etc were used?

Anyone tried the PL-370/SMP ?

Let the discussion begin!

-Sparky1024
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I don't think anyone has pulled it off yet. There have been several posts suggesting someone might do the "Dual Tual" dance but there are no posted success stories yet.

On a different note I was thinking about upgrading my uni 486 to dual tualatins. I only need one adaptor to make that 486 more powerful then any BP6 I know of.
http://www.portwell.com/robo-667-v.htm

lol. Your list seems mostly complete on the hardware side, except not just any ppga-fcpga adaptor will work. Also you will need to make sure the bios you are using will work. If memory serves getting the low voltage needed requires a hardware mod then takes a bios trick but it can be done. At best you should expect about 1.1GHz out of the processors on maybe a 100FSB in turbo.

It will be a LOT LOT LOT of work but if it does work you will get MONDO respect from this sites membership.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
sparky1024

!

Post by sparky1024 »

Very funny indeed, I have seen those SBCs floating around, it destroys the entire purpose of having a 486 if you need to replace the entire system with an ISA-all in one board :)

I should be getting the BP6 soon enough, if anyone would be so kind as to provide a shop or area with which I can purchase the ppga to fcpga adapters (whatever seems to be a successful brand!)

The first thing I did before posting anything at all was download the latest RV bios, I am certainly no n00b when it comes to convincing a motherboard to work with a given cpu or combination thereof.

Cheers,

Tristan
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

The first step is get two Power Leap NEO-370s.

Glad to see you are not a n00b. It makes explaining easier. Remember the BP6 is designed for dual celeron which requires a different pin configuration.

Once you can locate the NEO-370s you will have to modify them, also mod the sockets, then change the voltage regulator(VR) and a couple caps.

If successful you should be able to run dual coppermine P-IIIs. Then just add one more step of adaptors for the tuallies and should be good to go. Maybe the same VR wont work for both c'mine and tualatin.

PPGA to FC-PGA adaptors other then NEO-370 may work but there are many success stories using them but none that I know of using anything else.

Good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
sparky1024

Post by sparky1024 »

Sounds interesting enough - caps shouldn't be a problem to replace, the only thing im trying to work out is why dual PIII tutes wont work? Do they need different VRMs?

Anyways anyone know where I can get a couple neos?

:)
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I have one unused Neo S370, still in the shrinkwrapped box, but postage to Oz from Blighty would probably be too much.

You interested?
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-