Overclocking - (voltage) temp = stability, TNX Dave!

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
jaybird

Overclocking - (voltage) temp = stability, TNX Dave!

Post by jaybird »

Following a tip from Dave Rave, I tried reducing the core voltage to my dual 366's @ 550 (was running @ 2.10) tried 2.00, no-go, system crashed, went to 2.05 and BAM! not only 550 but 572 & 584!, this time stable both on and off-line!

Core temps as reported by MBM 5.0 dropped almost 10 deg F.!

However, we know that these temps are based on sensors located on the bottom side of the chip, not at the core or "slab" located on the top side of the chip.

I have located heat sinks like the ones used by purrkur for $4.99 ea.USD, (same heat sink but slower fan and less flow) and 80mm Delta fans that flow 47cfm @ 2700 rpm for $10.00 USD for 5!

Did research on-line and found a site that not only researched the heatsinks them selves but also applied different fan combinations to the heatsinks for all possible socket 370 applications!

Bottom line, these heat sinks with the larger Delta fans provide the best air cooling to cost ratio available today!

I am awaiting my new heatsinks and fans, I also just purchased a lot of 5 of the mini-peltiers and am looking at a way to mount them directly to the chip set instead of strapping it to the "greenie".

All indications are that I have reached an impass as to heat dissipation Vs. core voltage, higher core voltage generates more heat and present system cannot dissipate the heat.

However, at this point the cpu's require more voltage to reach speeds requested.

We ain't dead yet!

Regards,

jaybird
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Im running stock WinGlobal FEP32 and 1.9volts.(lapped um myself)
Never tried to go above 366@550 cause Im actually running a mission critical app and it wont realize any benifit from the extra risk.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Nice! :)
-Derek
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Humm, interesting, I cannot get my system to overclock @ 1.9 volts.

However, I did notice that my "case Temp" was well above my "cpu" temps as shown in MBM 5.0?

Fans are blowing down on cpu's, not "out or up", maybe need to reverse fans? Also have a 120mm fan blowing outside air into the case (side of case is open, hell, I'm in there so much I just leave the case open!)

Maybe with new Spire coolers and 80mm 47cfm fans blowing "out" or up things will change, also thinking of removing "back-side" of case to allow for full "flow-through" ventilation.

Ideas or comments please!

Regards,

jaybird
gulassi

Post by gulassi »

Usually when you leave your case open the hot air just circulates around and doesn't move very effeciently. Computer cases have been designed to work as windtunnels when closed.
Just bought BP6 to run my HT-Pc project.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Yeah I know, however, I cannot close up my case because it is full to the top and I added a second power supply just for the mobo and it is paralleled with the on-board PS - NO ROOM !

Wiring does not allow me to close case :( !

I just reversed on of the large (120mm) fans blowing what I thought was cool external air into the case directly across the cpu's (now blowing out) and my case temp dropped 4deg F. and my cpu's went from 100/96 deg F. to 96/91 deg F.

Very interesting!

OBTW, my cpu fans are blowing down, not up.

Does anyone know where the temp probe for the case temps is located on a BP6?

Regards,

jaybird
Billl

Re: Overclocking - (voltage) temp = stability, TNX Dave!

Post by Billl »

jaybird wrote:
I have located heat sinks like the ones used by purrkur for $4.99 ea.USD, (same heat sink but slower fan and less flow) and 80mm Delta fans that flow 47cfm @ 2700 rpm for $10.00 USD for 5!

Did research on-line and found a site that not only researched the heatsinks them selves but also applied different fan combinations to the heatsinks for all possible socket 370 applications!

Bottom line, these heat sinks with the larger Delta fans provide the best air cooling to cost ratio available today!

I am awaiting my new heatsinks and fans, I also just purchased a lot of 5 of the mini-peltiers and am looking at a way to mount them directly to the chip set instead of strapping it to the "greenie".

We ain't dead yet!

Regards,

jaybird
How about sharing your new found sources with us?

Billl
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Shore! :)

Newegg was the "source" for the Whisper V ($4.99+ S&H)

EBay for the 80mm 41cfm fans (5 for $10.00 USD)

EBay for the "mini-peltiers"(5 for $10 USD)+ S&H

Just got to watch EBay! ;)

As far as the "tests" are concerned, anybody can do a "socket 370 cpu cooler test" search on msn.

I believe it was "dansdata.cm" socket 370 cpu coolet tests". dated 2002

Are we getting "lazy?"

Just kidding! I am always happy to share what ever data I have in hopes of hellping all who use this website :)

Regards,

jaybird
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

jaybird wrote:Humm, interesting, I cannot get my system to overclock @ 1.9 volts.

However, I did notice that my "case Temp" was well above my "cpu" temps as shown in MBM 5.0?
Jay,
Notice my Sig.
Check your caps. Particularly the 4-packs.
My first board had system temp about 10 degerees higher then the cpus and the caps were leaking and bulging. I got the free replacement caps from Jackson and replaced 8 of them(both sets of 4-packs) then the system temp came back down. I had difficulty getting the traces to heat enough and scared myself out of replacing the rest on that board.

A year later I picked up a board that was dead from another user here. I replaced the caps around the cpus(they didn't look bad) and that board is the one im using at 1.9v on 100FSB.

FWIW, I never changed the c10 cap on any of my boards but all 3 that ive owned run 366s@550 below 2.0 volts with the 100uf that came on the board.

Good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I have two BP6's that I "play" with, one is a r .40, the other is a r .41, both exhibit the same problems and no bulging caps. Both will go 550 to 583 with the same proc's, both show same temps and both "slow down" as the room heats up.

Changed one fan yesterday and removed the other side of the case to create a flow-through situation and was able to run cpu burn-in for 30 min at 594, pprior to this 594 was not stable for more than 1 min max.

I'm pretty sure at this time the issue is the heat and the fact that I reversed fan air flow on the GlobalWIN FEP-32's.

When I install the Spire Whisper V's and the 80mm Delta's I will also attempt to mount thermocouples in the HS close to the cpu's to get a more realistic cpu temps. Also case fans will be mounted differently.

This morning I had the windows open in the office (outside temps here were at freezing) and I got into windows @ 605 for about 10 min. before it locked up.

Regards,

jaybird