New Coolers in queue

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
natorx

New Coolers in queue

Post by natorx »

I got my new Whisperrock V coolers today and a Zalman Northbridge cooler. Thanks to purrkur in this thread for all the info on the Whisperrock IV's. I don't have time to put it all together tonight but I tore my system apart to take a look at how I can make these big coolers fit. It looks as though I'll have to bend some capacitors and do something about the little metal zif bar. Either cut it short or try to bend it. I hear others have had no luck bending the terribly hard thing.

Here's my system in pieces (forgive my crappy webcam pics) also notice my new Whisperrock standing tall above the overturned old heatsinks.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Good luck! The metal ZIF bars are a pain, I am fortunate enough to have a board with the plastic levers that integrate into the ZIF socket. Just take your time putting things back together and you will be just fine.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

A small high speed grinder worked for me. Did not need to try to bend levers, just ground them down (Dremel tool works great!).

Regards,

jaybird
natorx

Post by natorx »

OMG its impossible to bend, thankfully my dad's garage is nearby. I just found the biggest wire cutters I could find and had those zif curves off in 2 seconds. Now to work on fitting in between those capacitors and cleaning off the old thermal goo.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The subtle method:
jaybird wrote:A small high speed grinder worked for me. Did not need to try to bend levers, just ground them down (Dremel tool works great!).
The extreme method:
natorx wrote:OMG its impossible to bend, thankfully my dad's garage is nearby. I just found the biggest wire cutters I could find and had those zif curves off in 2 seconds. Now to work on fitting in between those capacitors and cleaning off the old thermal goo.
I like it! :mrgreen:
-Derek
natorx

Post by natorx »

Haha, nice one. Well, I've got everything back together now. I won't punish you with crappy webcam pics yet. But, it was crazy hard to get those clips down. It's running at 75mhz fsb right now just had to make sure it works first. Gonna try to up it in a few.
A few problems, the top capacitors are touching the heatsink. Also, one of the fan power sockets on the bp6 is dead, it won't power the cpu fan, I had to connect it to a 12v adapter thingie. The cpus are running at about 36 degrees celcius.
natorx

Post by natorx »

Wouldn't post at 100mhz fsb, had to search out floppies to flash bios again :)
gonna run prime95.exe stress tests overnight at 92mhzfsb. I think it will be fine. Its so much quieter. I can actually stand to sleep with it on, it may even be quieter than my newer athlonxp system.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

natorx wrote:A few problems, the top capacitors are touching the heatsink.
Natorx, I had the same problem actually (until I replaced the caps and made some arrangements so that wouldn't happen). I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If you touch the heatsink where the caps are touching then you will notice that the heat found there isn't that high. The only thing I would worry about is if you had to physically force the caps to swing to the side when you placed the heatsink there. This wasn't the case for me.
natorx wrote:Also, one of the fan power sockets on the bp6 is dead, it won't power the cpu fan, I had to connect it to a 12v adapter thingie. The cpus are running at about 36 degrees celcius.
What can happen is that the transistors powering the fans break. This can happen for several reasons, including placing a fan there that draws too much current. I have such a board myself with two broken fan headers. I replaced the transistors which was extremely hard since they are tiny surface mount components. I wouldn't say it was worth it. Hook em up to your power supply's 12V and you'll be fine. If you want to slow the fans down then you can connect the fan to 0 and 5Volts or even better, place the fans ground wire on 5 volts and the plus wire on 12 volts which will give you a 7V operating voltage for the fan.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
natorx

Post by natorx »

I modded my case today, its an old crappy case and I had gotten this odd fan bracket thing called a "card cooler" that attached to the PCI slot screws. Anyway, the fans were 120mm so I drilled and cut some big holes in my case, one one the side, where all the cards are, and one at the top. It is pulling air in from the side and blowing it all out of the top. I think it dropped the case temp down a 10 degrees celcius, but it might just be the cool weather. Anyway, the coolers are doing really well, it seems stable at 93mhz fsb, I'll attempt to raise it later. I've raised my status from computer builder to amatuer case modder now. :)