Johnny5's last set of "Dylithium Crystals" hit the

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
jaybird

Johnny5's last set of "Dylithium Crystals" hit the

Post by jaybird »

Ok, I now have a baseline on multiple Celeron CPU's on one mildly modified Ver .41 BP6.

I have lapped and matched sets of: 366's, 400's, 433's and 500's.

All hit the "wall", stability wise at about 581 to 583 or so. I have gotten the 366's to 605, 400's to 600 and 500's to about 650 but not stable.

The biggest "killer" for some strange reason seems to be Internet Explorer.

Example: If I try to access the Internet at or above 104 FSB using my 366's the machine either locks up or reboots. However, if I access the 'net at 100 FSB, no problems and THEN move to 572 (104 FSB) or 584 (106 FSB, using MBM5) then things are pretty stable. Attempting to load software above 100 FSB is not a good idea (I never do anyway).

So, to this point I have a VERY stable system using:
1. lapped and matched cpu's
2. active cooling on the BX chip set(mini-peltier and 486 HS and fan)
3. the largest cpu coolers that fit on the BP6, GlobalWIN FEP-32's
4. changed EC-10 from 100 uuf to 1500
5. changed out 2 voltage regulators
6. added a tandem PS (300 watt) just for the MOBO

I have been able to run multiple stress tests at the same time with the cpu's (both) at 100% and 594 meg of ram (out of 768) in use while cycling both hard drives, floppy and all 4 optical drives at the same time for 12+ hours straight.

Still, nothing REALLY stable (software wise) over 571 on a Ver .41 board.

My next step is to find a good Ver .40 board, completely re-cap it, mod it out and try again! (after all, my first Ver .40 went 1209 dual for 4 years, why not again?)

There is just something about this board that says I gotta try.

Besides, it gives me something to do, it's very cheap entertainment and it gets me away from the "honey do" lists my wife comes up with when I say "I'm working dear". :wink:

Regards,

jaybird
KliK

Post by KliK »

seems like you hit the wall with that LAN or MODEM card you got...it might not be the IE...did you try to install Opera or Firefox, adn try to connect with them on Internet?!

also, try to use ICQ, MSN or some other internet program...just to rule out the card problem!!!

"find a way to give me more power Scotty!" :D
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I don't think it's the NIC card as the drivers are not even loaded.

My modem is an external USB Best Data 56K modem, not sure
how it could cause a problem but its' a thought. It has locked a time or two while attempting to dial at 571 or 584, might need new or updated drivers?

I have not tried another browser yet. I was thinking of up-grading Explorer first as it is now only version 5.0 (I believe 6.0 is the latest?)

I may try Firefox as I have heard good things about it. Anyone else here using Firefox?

Thanks for advice, will continue trying to hit "warp 9" :wink:

Regards,

jaybird
KliK

Post by KliK »

well maybe the USB is your problem?! some users here complain about loosing USB with OC systems... :lol:

Spock: "But captain, I must warn you that warp 4.5 is the top speed for this vessel!"
jaybird

Possible modem issue

Post by jaybird »

I just pulled a "brand-new" 56K Conexant PCI modem from my new "toy" at work.

Gateway P4, 3.2 gig with HT, 2 gig of ram, 200 gig HDD, 128 meg dual-hd vid card, 7.1 surround sound, dual burners, one is a new dual layer DVD.

This is one of those MS Multi-media "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005".

I pulled the modem because I needed the expansion slot for an Avermedia PVR UltraMedia 1500 card.

Now I've got one SWEET full-on muti-media machine! :) (to bad I can't take it home with me :wink: )

Anyway, will take modem card home with me and try it. However, I only have 1 PCI slot left and it shares with PCI 4 and ISA 1(PCI 4 has a SCSII scanner card in it).

Regards,

jaybird
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

OBTW,

Just switched over to FireFox on this (P4) machine and after only 5 min. of using it I don't think I'll be going back to Int. Explorer any time soon!

jaybird
jaybird

Very interesting!

Post by jaybird »

I switched over to Firefox when I got home and at the same time I moved the USB connection from a hub directly to the BP6.

Guess what? I'm sitting here at 583 as I write this!

Very interesting, lets see if it holds for the rest of the night.

Oh, h---, I'm going for 594, be right back!

Regards,

jaybird
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

More POWER, more POWER! (slobber, drool, froth at the mouth) I WANT 594, no, I want 605, no I want to be king of the worl----, oops, oh well, almost made it. Got half way through a message here at 594 and it re-booted, DAMM!

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Lets see, change out that one voltage regulator (LM317T to a LM348T), install 85 watt pelts on the 366's and increase the size (wattage) of the pelt on the BX.

Should be able to do that for about $25 USD, now what do I tell the wife that I need for the office, printer paper, pens, no, I know, I need a shredder, thats it, a shredder! :twisted:

Regards,

jaybird
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Wait,
You said the 400@600 were unstable? grrrah I thought that would work for sure since it was just the cpus being pushed(well also the BX).

Firefox huh?
Where do I get Firefox?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

firefox and thunderbird are part of Mozilla
I think it's a dot org but
http://www.mozilla.com/
seems to work
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Yep,

Its' Mozilla.com. I timed it at work on a T1 line and here at home (dial-up) and just getting into this web site it seems to be about twice as fast and I don't get that nagging "hange" when I post a message here anymore (so far at least).

Regards,

jaybird
jaybird

new info

Post by jaybird »

This may be of some interest, based on info from this website plus the proccess of elimination (plus "docmemory" software) I have traced at least a part of my random lock-ups and re-boots to a possible bad memory module.

I ran the tests (which are dos related) at 100 mhz fsb, 104 fsb, 106, 108, and 110 fsb, two hours into the tests (above 104, failure at MATS+) indicating a bad memory module on one of the memory sticks. I am still looking at the test results.

"Warp 9" may still be a possibility!

"I need more power Scotty".

Regards,

jaybird
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote: Firefox huh?
Where do I get Firefox?
www.firefox.com will get you there even though it isn't the real thing. www.getfirefox.com will definitely get you there as well as http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/.

Since we are mentioning browsers, I have been using Firefox since the very early days and Mozilla before that as well and it is a great browser. However, there is also another free browser out there called Opera (http://www.opera.com) that I would also like to recommend. It is a great browser and it is easier on memory consumption than Firefox is. The current latest version of Opera is 8.5.2 but 9.0 is just around the corner and it promises to be a great release.

Opera is all about innovation. Things such as tabbed browsing appeared first in Opera.It is not a large download either so go try it out!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
KliK

Post by KliK »

also a great thing about Opera is downloading mails and browsing around...also news groups can be downloaded...contacts in mail are nicely done & with their mails, with fast cache of the mail!!! :D
printing within browser is great & when something is selected, printing will automaticlly be set to SELECTION...
also a transfer option is awailabale like a window...

and many great things...
mine Opera 8.5 uses about 75MB, but i have 20 tab windows open & a mail recever with 24 000 mails in it!!! :D :D :D
neat!!!