Losing control...

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Jordan

Losing control...

Post by Jordan »

I few weeks ago I replaced my Greenie BX chip cooler with a giant Slot1 Celeron heatink + fan because of overclocking.
A few days passed and all was fine, but all of a sudden i started losing control of the PC. My USB keyboard + mouse weren't repsonding. So, i unplugged + plugged back in to my USB 2.0 PCI card. Worked for a few minutes but then died again!

After a rest and reboot everything was fine. I figure the chipset is still overheating and instead of crashing it just kills USB. Everything still works, my network, video and sound stays intact. It's not a power issue don't think, because i had dual PSU's ( 500 combined watts) for a while and it still happened.

I can work around this, I've got a spare PS/2 keyboard plugged in for safety. This issue seems to be completely random as it cuts out independantly of rescource use. I can be running games and it'll go or just browsing the internet. What's most irritating is that the whole problem goes away for days, only to happen again when i least expect it.

Does anyone have any better explanations or fixes?
The collector of the old and unwanted.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Explaination...no.
But fix...yes.

Stick with the ps2 keyboard and mouse, and use the USB keyboard and mouse on a newer system.

Um, how exactly are you holding that giant Slot1 Celeron heatink + fan on the where a Greene came off?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

well the USB for some unexplained reason is very likely to go off when overclocking...though i don't know why, 'cause you are on the 33MHz PCI! there might be a heat issue...

there is some fix in the BIOS for the PS/2 port...but i cannot find it right now...try to browse a little on the forum and it may come up... :D

and a nice thign you did...i also put the old big Pentium heatsink with Celeron cooler on it...it works great...no freezes anymore!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

davd_bob wrote:Um, how exactly are you holding that giant Slot1 Celeron heatink + fan on the where a Greene came off?
It took a whole lot of work a Dremel rotary tool. (i think i spelled it right.)
I had to cut, sand and bend into the sides of the heatsink to make room for the little plastic screw-clip things i saved from the greenie. So the whole thing is held on by those two plastic clips.

I shoud have taken pictures of the heatsink, it's a work of art. Maybe if i get bored I'll pull everything apart and get some pics.

HOORAY! i got the keyboard/mouse working on PS/2 rather than USB! (It came with an adapter)
I had troubles getting the mouse to work in windows on PS/2 the first time i installed it, but i think I had the mouse powered off :oops:
It's all good now! The mouse even seems to work better on PS/2; it responds faster. How odd....

Anyway thanks for the help. For some reason i never thought of just using PS/2.
KliK

Post by KliK »

two fixes:
1. might work for USB port, in BIOS go to CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP and ENABLE the PASSIVE RELEASE...that should fix some problems with the PCI cards going off...

2. for PS/2 stability go in BIOS to PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION set RESOURCES CONTROLLED BY on MANUAL and IRQ-12 set on LEGACY ISA!!! also ENABLE the ASSIGN IRQ FOR USB...

:D
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

That's really interesting!
Currently my USB is not cutting out, but when it starts going off again I'll try it.

Thanks!