700MHz Celeron II

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
purrkur
Linux Guru

700MHz Celeron II

Post by purrkur »

I just bought myself a motherboard based on th 815 chipset from Intel with built in sound and graphics. The board is a micro ATX size with 3 PCI and 1 AGP port (despite the built in graphics) and I would say that the quality of it is impressive. It is a pull from a Fujitsu-Siemens computer.

Along with the board a got two 128MB PC133 sticks and a Celeron II processor that runs at 700MHz.

I haven't tested it yet but since I got it for less than $30 I would say that it wasn't a waste of money :)

I have never had one of these Celerons. I have read that they sucked royally in terms of performance. I checked out the specs for it compared to the mendochino and it is based on .18 Micron technology (vs .25), has slightly fewer transistors and runs at 1.7 volts instead of 2.0. So at least it should run cool :)

Anyway, I am pretty sure that some of the members here have experience from this CPU so what is your verdict? Is it a good overclocker? Looking at the specs suggests so at least.

I've got a couple of PIII's (866MHz) lying around as well but I would prefer not to use them if I run into a real dual socket 370 motherboard that wasn't going for stupendous amount of money.

I am not that sure that this motherboard has overclocking capability. These OEM boards are for the most part stripped of the fun things I am afraid.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
KliK

Post by KliK »

I had exactly one of that Celeron II 700/66 on BE6 board from Abit...a nice SLOT1 slot with BX440 chipset...they are OK, and you can get them high enough if you want it...mine was stable as 700@1050/100!!! :D :D :D :D :D and it would go over that, 'cause those Coopermines didn't goover 1,1GHz (1,13GHz in P3 with 133FSB)... :D :D :D

but they suck for that, 'cause of the small L2 cache...it's the same size as Mendosino, but it's just too small for that speed of processing...but it's a good processor though!!! 8) 8) 8)
also, chack this link for some info about those Coopermine Celerons...they were exactly like P3 but without bigger L2 cache and some advanced functions for SSE technology!!! and they had approximately 28 millions of transistors, compared to Mendosino which had only 19 million!!!

anyway, it's a nice CPU...maybe the best board for it would be BF6 from Abit! also you have to have a SLOT1 adapter for that board!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billl

Re: 700MHz Celeron II

Post by Billl »

purrkur wrote:I just bought myself a motherboard based on th 815 chipset from Intel with built in sound and graphics. The board is a micro ATX size with 3 PCI and 1 AGP port (despite the built in graphics) and I would say that the quality of it is impressive. It is a pull from a Fujitsu-Siemens computer.

Along with the board a got two 128MB PC133 sticks and a Celeron II processor that runs at 700MHz.

I haven't tested it yet but since I got it for less than $30 I would say that it wasn't a waste of money :)

I have never had one of these Celerons. I have read that they sucked royally in terms of performance. I checked out the specs for it compared to the mendochino and it is based on .18 Micron technology (vs .25), has slightly fewer transistors and runs at 1.7 volts instead of 2.0. So at least it should run cool :)

Anyway, I am pretty sure that some of the members here have experience from this CPU so what is your verdict? Is it a good overclocker? Looking at the specs suggests so at least.

I've got a couple of PIII's (866MHz) lying around as well but I would prefer not to use them if I run into a real dual socket 370 motherboard that wasn't going for stupendous amount of money.

I am not that sure that this motherboard has overclocking capability. These OEM boards are for the most part stripped of the fun things I am afraid.
I've had quite a lot of experience with Celeron II's. It is actually a PIII with a smaller cache. It may do 100 MHZ. The problem is with the multiplier being 10.5. That means it will be at 1050 MHZ. It may get there or it may not. The slower ones like my 533 were much better candidates. The mother board may be your stumbling block. Even if it allows you to run 100 MHZ which it likely offers. You can bet it won't allow any voltage tweeks on the CPU. And most of them won't run without a bit more voltage. And yes at 66 MHZ it is going to be slooooow. But this chip performs very nicely once you get it over clocked. It's amazing what a difference it makes runing those chips at 100 MHZ. Maybe you can find a cheap board on EBay. You don't have much invested at ths point. If you really want to use the board I think I'd get a cheap PIII 1 Gig and it will run quite nice for you.

Billl
headseed

Post by headseed »

The coppermine celerons.. boy, I gotta say I love 'em! My first BP6 setup came with a 566 in it on an adapter. I also had a 1000 cellie in there, but have since sold that.

Hey, that reminds me, I have two 1000 PIIIs around here somewhere.. I hope they are 100fsb ones... although I don't think so. I bought them for my VP6 (still waiting for a recap, maybe I'll send it to Abit, they did right by me on the BP6.)

Back OT:
In situations where the data fits in the cache, it is just as fast as equivalent P3 in my experience. I think the distributed computing project I was on when I had that rig was distributed folding... it did pretty well I guess.

And I don't know if I would buy another motherboard to clock the bus up, althought it will make a difference for sure. You got a sweet deal on the combo, leave it at that and enjoy. Just my thoughts.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Thanks for the feedback. The sweet thing about the motherboard is the size and that it can run 66/100/133 MHz FSB's. I am pretty sure that it won't have any overclocking ability as it is probably designed by Intel for Fujitsu-Siemens as an OEM board. Those are always stripped of options in BIOS.

In any case, I have been thinking about setting up a machine in our kitchen and this could very well fit the bill. It needs to be small, low-noise and out of sight.

I will know more once I get to set it up this weekend.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

well the BE6 board won't go over the 112MHz for BOOTing...the P3 with 133FSB worked only on 112FSB on it! they fixed that a little on BE6-II, and got a better regulation of the board...
but the BF6 board has got FSB speeds: 66, 68(turbo), 72, 75, 83, from 84 to 200 by 1MHz!!! so it would be the best choise for tweaking your 700 celleron!!! :D :D :D
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I had a few minutes to spare yesterday (VERY unusual these days) so I hooked up the motherboard to a screen, CD-ROM player, power supply, mouse and keyboard to see if this board wants to play nice.

It booted up just fine and in a few minutes I had Knoppix up and running without a hitch. Getting the board started presented me with a problem. This is an OEM board meaning there are no instruction manuals etc to download from the interweb. My problem is I have no idea where to connect reset, hdd & power leds, power, speaker etc. I may have to do a search to see if I can figure out what Fujitsu Siemens model this motherboard comes from. I then may be able to dig out some useful information.

Just a small plug for Knoppix. It is simply a great product. It still beats all other live-CD's that I have tried hands down.

Anyway, the whole thing works without issues. I checked in BIOS and found that BIOS doesn't report CPU voltage or frequency, let alone what CPU is being used or the speed of it. Amazing.

So what I did was I tested my 866MHz Pentium !!!'s. I wasn't sure if my P3's had survived my BP6 testing because I was afraid I might have crushed them when putting the cooler on the CPU's but both of them work fine. The board configures voltage and speed along with FSB automatically

Coming up: I need to figure out if and how badly my latest BP6 is broken. If it turns out to be giving me a hard time then I might just give up on the great BP6 adventure and build a second computer out of the single CPU motherboard. I feel it quite painfully now that I need a (working) second computer and I don't have the time to muck about anymore.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Im pretty sure if you can get it going the BP6FSB utility(or some other FSB variation) might be benificial to you.

From what digging around Ive done, the C'mine cellys OC just as well as most other Intel cores.
David.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:Im pretty sure if you can get it going the BP6FSB utility(or some other FSB variation) might be benificial to you.
Yeah, or I might just leave it. The box will either end up as a "server" with the Celeron, or a workstation (with a P3). In either case, lowering noise will be important and as we all know, low noise and overclocking don't go hand in hand :)
davd_bob wrote:From what digging around Ive done, the C'mine cellys OC just as well as most other Intel cores.
David.
So true. The P3's were excellent processors and like Billl pointed out, the Celeron is simply a P3 with less cache onboard. That means less current and the lower fsb also means less heat generation. This makes for a good formula when overclocking. The Duron's share the same characteristics and were much better overclockers than their Athlon counterparts.

We'll see how it goes. I haven't made up my mind yet on what to do. It isn't a problem really. I don't have any time currently to get involved in this anyways :(
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd