CAS2 Ram help

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Jordan

CAS2 Ram help

Post by Jordan »

I recently found i have 256 megs of CAS-2 PC100 RAM.

Is it significantly faster than CAS3 or even better at all?
Some places said CAS2 is best for overclocking and 3d games, both of which i do most.

However, i noticed ZERO difference on quake 3 between 384 megs of CAS3 compared to 256 megs of CAS2. Maybe that's a good thing?

Should i experiment with it a bit more is it not worth it?
--- BUT ---
Can trying CAS3 RAM at CAS2 damage it?

I'll wait to try stuff until i know it's safe. I don't want to ruin any of my chips.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
KliK

Post by KliK »

if you put CAS3 with CAS2 RAM, they will both run on CAS3! :D
and no, you cannot damage them, unless it's done by MBO...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Did you change the BIOS setting to CL2? :?
the CAS2 PC-100 should work at that speed...and if you feel lucky you may get CAS3 to work at CL2 but you may get errors.

CL stands for Cas Latency and it amounts to how fast the ram can get ready for the next function of read or write. CAS2 takes 2 clock clicks whereas CAS3 takes 3 cycles.

Also make sure ECC is disabled because that takes an additional cycle for example a CL3 setting with ECC enabled would take 4 cycles. :x
Last edited by davd_bob on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

also, the RAM is specified for example:
as CAS2 for speed PC100, that is 100MHz and CAS3 for speed PC133, which is 133MHz...all of us use FSB till 100MHz, rarelly on BP6 it's more than that...and if yours SDRAM is specified as the one i mentioned, you can put it on CAS2 without any problem...

if you cannot find the values for the CAS2 & CAS3,, you can download the SiSoft Sandra 2005, and in the specificaions of the RAM or MBO those RAM spec are writen...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Okay!
Thanks for help. After some detective work with CPU-z I found my family PC had some PC133 with CAS2 @ 100MHZ! I pulled it out and replaced it with some generic PC100 i had laying around and everything's good!

The family PC still runs the same and now mine has 384 megs of CAS-2 ram in 2 sticks of PC133 and 1 stick of PC100! Yay!

I'll try upping the FSB a bit more, i think i'll feel the benefeits of CAS-2 more then.
Thanks for the help!
KliK

Post by KliK »

Jordan wrote:Okay!
Thanks for help. After some detective work with CPU-z I found my family PC had some PC133 with CAS2 @ 100MHZ! I pulled it out and replaced it with some generic PC100 i had laying around and everything's good!

The family PC still runs the same and now mine has 384 megs of CAS-2 ram in 2 sticks of PC133 and 1 stick of PC100! Yay!

I'll try upping the FSB a bit more, i think i'll feel the benefeits of CAS-2 more then.
Thanks for the help!

why did you pull out the PC133 which had CAS2@100MHz?! your PC100 definatelly doesn't have CAS2@100MHz!!!

by the way, i have PC150 and all three of them have CAS2@100 & CAS3@133 (SiSoft Sandra 2005 Pro)!!! which means that the manufacturer says that the RAM will work on CAS2 without any probelm till 100MHz...or more, if you find the limit...
on PC150 i have in mine BP6 system (until i get the Tual motherboard working!) and the limit for that RAM is 150MHz!!! which means they have to work on CAS3@150MHz, but the manufacturer recomends 133MHz top for CAS3!!!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Sorry, i really wasn't clear with my last post.

KliK said:
why did you pull out the PC133 which had CAS2@100MHz?! your PC100 definatelly doesn't have CAS2@100MHz!!!
I didn't pull that ram out of my BP6, it was in another PC which doesn't use CAS-2. I replaced that RAM with generic PC100 because that computer runs at 100 Mhz with CAS-3 and therefore doesn't need CAS-2.

Because of that, my BP6 has only CAS-2 ram, and that other PC has CAS-3.
I hope that clarifies everything.
KliK

Post by KliK »

nice one...i can say it works fine in mine...no problems so far!

so what is your boot time?!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm happy with my boot time.

14 seconds POST + HPT (counted until right after "Verifying DMI data" goes away and windows begins)

21 seconds later Windows XP is completely functioning with all startup programs loaded.

Both total up to about 35 seconds to start up!

PS - It was a lot more before I ran Microsoft BOOTVIS.
I suggest anyone running windows XP finds it on Google - Microsoft doesn't support it anymore.
It optimizes boot time and does a really good job.
You really notice it's work if your windows has lots of startup programs and just seems to take a long time to start. Check it out!
KliK

Post by KliK »

Jordan wrote:PS - It was a lot more before I ran Microsoft BOOTVIS.
I suggest anyone running windows XP finds it on Google - Microsoft doesn't support it anymore.
It optimizes boot time and does a really good job.
You really notice it's work if your windows has lots of startup programs and just seems to take a long time to start. Check it out!

thanks...even with optimization it ran quicker! :D

from my experiance:
(time is measured from after the BIOS & HPT boot screens, so only the boot time from WinXP is measured!)
544@533 was about 4,5-5 min., whole boot with all programs running!
576@533 got down to 3,5-4 min, whole boot with programs running!
in optimization, it was in WinXP in about 30sec.
(more results later!)