What CPU is max officially or testet supported by BP6???

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
marqus

What CPU is max officially or testet supported by BP6???

Post by marqus »

Hi,

i once had a rocksolid BP6 with 2x366@560Mhz. Can you tell me what CPU is nowadays supported by the BP6 with no problem. Do not want to overclock. Are there big differences between PCB revisions? If yes, what Rev. is the one to buy?
What was the "biggest" Intel CPU for S370 @FSB 100?
Does anyone cool his CPU without fan? Passive cooling would be great...

hm, well, the 366 Celeron should ALWAYS be able to run at 5,5x100, doesn´t it?
But how to get more than 550MHz? AND: Are all the Intel CPUs on the market able to run in DUAL MODE?

thanx alot from Germany,
Marqus
davd_bob
Confused

Re: What CPU is max officially or testet supported by BP6???

Post by davd_bob »

marqus,
Hi and welcome aboard.
marqus wrote:Hi,
Can you tell me what CPU is nowadays supported by the BP6 with no problem.
The chip we call the Celeron1.(Mendocino core) That was the oldest celeron class and goes from 300-533Mhz.
marqus wrote:Are there big differences between PCB revisions?
No.
marqus wrote:What was the "biggest" Intel CPU for S370 @FSB 100?
Some Coppermine core P-IIIs(they will dual) and some Coppermine Celerons(they WONT dual)
Some Tualitin class Celeron(they wont dual)but it takes quite a bit of work to get 'Tullys and 'Mines to work on a BP6...in my opinion it is better to get a board designed for them if thats what you want to run.
marqus wrote:i once had a rocksolid BP6 with 2x366@560Mhz....Do not want to overclock....hm, well, the 366 Celeron should ALWAYS be able to run at 5,5x100, doesn´t it?
But how to get more than 550MHz?
Many people believe the best use of a BP6 is with DUAL 366s running at 100-110FSB. That gets the most out of the rest of the board in addition to the maximum clock cycles out of the Cellys. The Mendocino core hits a wall at about 550-625MHz. With some modifications you can jump up to Coppermine core but the celeron version cant dual and the P-III version usually wants a 133FSB so you LOSE Mhz by using them.
marqus wrote:Does anyone cool his CPU without fan? Passive cooling would be great...
VIA C3 chips run very cool. There are some that will work on the BP6...but trust me...you wont like how they preform.
Most of us like to OC and passive cooling would be a disaster.
marqus wrote:Do all Intel CPUs work in DUAL configuration?
NO.
The Pentium Pro was designed to work with multiple CPUs in heavy usage situations and all INTEL chips since then use the foundation that was laid with the P-Pro. Later Intel wanted to create a 'cheap' chip for the market of cheap people(like me) and produced the Celeron...which they said wont dual. The original cellys DO dual so starting with the Coppermine core, Intel cut a trace internally which crippeled all celerons that work above 533MHz.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
marqus

Post by marqus »

Hi davd_bob,

thanx. So first of all: Is there any modification I HAVE TO do before starting anything more than 2 366cels on the BP6. I mean, for using 2 366cels, i won´t have to change anything, right? The first need to mod the board is when i try to use a)coppermines, tullys or their Celeron pendants and b) if I want to have mor voltage to run 133FSB, right.

Ok, i do not want to run the board with noisy fans or silly cooling features, waiting or my whole appartement to go up in flames. I would like to get 2 coppermines PIII 800-1100 running on the board with FSB 100. I cannot remember, the coppermine cores went from 500Mhz to ***? And when startet the Tualatin series?
Is there a different modification needed for using coppermines and tullys?
And where is an easy to use howto for these mods? The one from Derek is too "scientific". Im looking for an overview à la "if you want that, do that, ...".

thanx again, looking forward to an answer. In the meantime, I will buy a BP6 with 2 533cels...

marqus
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

marqus wrote:So first of all: Is there any modification I HAVE TO do before starting anything more than 2 366cels on the BP6. I mean, for using 2 366cels, i won´t have to change anything, right?
Mendocino core chips are what the BP6 was designed to run.
They can be found from 300 to 533Mhz. Watch out for getting 533s because there are come Coppermines I think called 533A.
marqus wrote:The one from Derek is too "scientific." The first need to mod the board is when i try to use a)coppermines, tullys or their Celeron pendants and b) if I want to have mor voltage to run 133FSB, right.
Any chip other then Mendocino core requires that "scientific" stuff to be done. Um, sometimes only adaptors are needed...Let me explain
If you will go with UNIprocessing you have to use an adaptor...NEO-S370...for the C'mine. and for the Tualitian you would put another adaptor on top meaning you would have the chip sitting on 2 adaptors. That is for single CPU and celerons will work.
For DUAL processing true Pentium-IIIs are necessary and you have to add the wires on the back of the board and cut traces on some of the adaptors and change a capacitor and change a voltage regulator. You may have to change that voltage regulator even for the cellys.
BTW, did I mention that I think if you want the newer processors you are better off just getting a board designed to run them. for example:Abit makes the VP6 for Coppermine and it is a slightly newer version of the BP6 with newer technology. It will run 133FSB where the BP6 mostly just chokes past 110FSB.
In the real world you are NOT going to get a BP6 to run 133FSB with two CPUs. Thats because the BX440 was designed for 100FSB max. When you go above 100 you are OC'ing the BX the same as if you were OC'ing a celeron and they can rarely get more then 10% over with any kind of stability.

marqus wrote:Ok, i do not want to run the board with noisy fans or silly cooling features, waiting or my whole appartement to go up in flames. I would like to get 2 coppermines PIII 800-1100 running on the board with FSB 100.
heres an example:P-III866 are usually 133fsb*6.5. They will be 650Mhz on a BP6, and that is after you solder wires and voltage regulators and caps and cut traces and locate adaptors and make retaining clip extensions out of paperclips to hold them on the socket. If you have the skills and tools and DESIRE to do the modifications it wont be a bad as I make it sound...but if you are lacking in skill, or desire, you will just waste money and time and probably ruin a BP6 in the process.

As for the noisy fans: you can use the larger case cooling fans which run more quietly if you can find a way to adapt them to the heat sinks.

What are you doing with this system?
I got mine to give myself a "hands on" system to learn about dual processing. The fact the BP6 is one of the most flexable boards Ive ever used was an unexpected bonus, and Ive been doing this since my first board...and 8088. The BP6 brought home the lessons about relationships between PCI/IDE multipliers and FSB and RAM speed and stuff. Ive learned about the CPU and chipset cooling needs in overclocking and underclocking.

I love my BP6 because of those things, but face it...any board designed to use DDR will slap a BP6 around with impunity no matter how much the BP6 is "souped" up.
marqus wrote:In the meantime, I will buy a BP6 with 2 533cels...
If you are serious about passive cooling checkout the VIA chips.
Again I ask, what are you getting a BP6 for?

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
marqus

Post by marqus »

Hi,

i think i have sentimental issues on that board since i once had ist. but the limitation on 768MB of RAM and the work to get faster CPUs run is too much. I´m looking for a VP6, 2GB RAM and 2xthe maximum of CPU possible and ive got a good dual machine for video encoding and just "Dual testing". I think WinXP can get some performance out of this machine, where my Athlon with real 2400GHz would be wondering itself :-).

the BP6 would be nothing but a fun thing to have again. But the moneys not worth it now.

we´ll see. theres a BP6 with 2x533 cels on german Ebay right now...

bye

btw: will i need special SDRAm Chips for the BP6 board. can i use PC133 singlesided 256MB Modules?
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

marqus wrote:can i use PC133 singlesided 256MB Modules?
No.

128megs with the chips on one side are working for me but 256megs have to be on both sides or it wont work. The ram slots can read up to 128 per side.

Im off line now for the next 15 hours or so. Then I don't know. One of my companies assets that I manage is just outside New Orleans so I may be out of pocket for several days...Thanks to "Katrina."

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

but 256megs have to be on both sides or it wont work
a single sided 256mb or a dbl sided 512mb will work
but will only show as 128mb and 256mb
half the size they actually are. so don't throw the chips away as defective...
marqus

Post by marqus »

hi,

ok, another question: is it possible to run a celeron 1300 FCPGA 2 (what does that 2 stand for?) on the BP6 with mods and adaptors of course. This should be the last Tully Celeron with fsb 100. Would that work?

And am I right that on the VP6 there would be the P3 1133MHz the fastest 133FSB CPU and also the Celly 1300 Tualtin FSB 100 the fastest CPUs?

or were these last celerons build different and not usable in these mobos?

thx
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

celerons were made ppga
the came Piii which were fc-pga
tualitin and similar are next generation fc, so fc-pga2

not suer if the VP6 was out when Tualitin was made.
just a sec

it supports 133mhz FSB, but not sure of the crossover between fcpga and fcpga2 chips
marqus

Post by marqus »

No, the newer Celerons above 533 were all made in FCPGA (the green ones with tully core). I just wonder if the last cellys (1300 FCPGA2) fit on boards were e.g. a P3 1133 would fit....

bye
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

marqus wrote:No, the newer Celerons above 533 were all made in FCPGA (the green ones with tully core). I just wonder if the last cellys (1300 FCPGA2) fit on boards were e.g. a P3 1133 would fit....

bye
VP6 was designed for PC-PGA1 to run natively and requires the Lin-Lin adaptor for the FC-2. Beware that much research implies that only a SINGLE cpu will be recognized though.

A VP6 with Tualitian core P-III in dual sitting on the adaptor for FC-PGA2 to FC-PGA1 would be a great combo if you can get it to work. It would get the max preformance from both the board and the chip, but no room for any OC'ing.

Oh, as all of the FC(flip chip) cores, celerons only work in uni-processing.

David
coze

Post by coze »

sorry to resurrect this old thread. I'm the owner of a recently purchased bp6 system. My system came with two celeron 300 MHz processors and 256 mb RAM. I would like to max out this system possible, the RAM is already on the way (max is 768 mb right ?) I would like to know what processors I can use to increase the performance ? If possible, I would like to avoid overclocking, and use passive cooling. I found some 500-700 MHz celeron processors, will these work ?

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s19369762
http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s99692931
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p48382063
coze

Post by coze »

edit : sorry, double post.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Raffnix is correct. The fastest is the FV524RX533.
the last 3 digits state the speed of the chip. The chips are that dark color and have the large silver colored block. Last time I checked they were dirt cheap on ebay. (didn't look today)

WOW dual 300s? After you make sure it works at 66FSB, just for kicks try it at 100FSB. If will not work at 100FSB try kick the voltage to 2.1V and try again. Dual 300@66 = 450@100.
The only thing OC'ed would be the CPUs. Everything else on the board is designed to work at 100FSB.

FWIW it is believed by many people that most of those Mendocino chips will run at about over 500MHz no-matter what the chip says its rated for.

One more thing. Look at the capicitors and see if they have bad symptoms. Bulge leak leaning.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hi there coz!

I agree with what davd_bob is saying - you should definitely try to overclock the C300s to 450MHz. It's highly likely you could leave the CPU voltage at 2.0V. At this setting. Everything is running in spec apart from the CPUs, and they can take 450MHz pretty easily.

If you wanted more speed, then you could replace the C300s with a faster, single CPU, with some modifications, and although this would give some speed improvements to single tasks and threads, you won't have the nice smooth multi-tasking and switching that dual processors give you.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
p3n1x

Post by p3n1x »

finally got a spare case that i can setup my lovely bp6 back in :)

now...i have 2 366;s that get to around 93/95 fsb easily, but wont do 100...

years, im talking YEARS, later i got 2 533 celrons and dropped em in and never bothered anymore

since im bringing this back out, maybe ill tinker and play with overclocking these
Its dangerous on the internets
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Nice one! The BP6 lives!
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-