At last, new CPU cooler

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Char

Post by Char »

Will do, I hope they arrive tomorrow or Saturday.
The board now has two older cool-it-dude coolers, that came with it when I bought the board. They sound like an F-15 on take-off- hardly the thing for a quiet server...
Run to the bedroom - in the suitcase on the left....
Char

Post by Char »

Mission accomplished!

Passive my 433's go around 50 degr. C- with fans (and they are really quiet) they stay at case temp :)

28C now.... :) :)

But I'm happy I took the board out, I would advise that...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Excellent! 28 C is good! Do you have any other fans in your box?

Cheers,
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Char

Post by Char »

They work well with BP6FSB too.

I have no other fans yet, as the case is still open :)
Looking at that- my first idea was to use the Spire fans as case fans, and nothing on the heatsinks. But the connector cables are too short to try.
At the moment I have to many flat cables around that block air flow (3 IDE cables and one SCSI...), so I'll have to adjust that first.
I'll probably install an exit fan on the back.

Here's a pic of the installed heatsinks

One tip: the heatsinks block the mounting holes! to install the board with these heatsinks, you will have to take out the power supply.
Last edited by Char on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Some time ago I ordered two Titan TTC-D5TB coolers for my BP6, which had a similar shape (6x6cm at the bottom, 8x8cm at the top). IIRC they were too large and touched the capacitors.

So it's nice to hear that there are still fans available that fit.

Are you running these fans @12V and they're still quiet? Or with reduced voltage?
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kretslopp

Post by kretslopp »

Hi everybody. Yesterday I became the owner of BP6 (my first SMP) equipped with 2*Celeron 400. For just 200SEK = 26USD

I only have one cooler though and I don't have any PC100/PC133 (hmm, or do I?) and I also lack a PSU......ok and a case too.

Anyway, I've been browsing some for two proper coolers and the spire I did think of and reading this thread makes me optimistic.

But.....I've been thinking of a pair of these:

Taisol Heatpipe

They are extremely cheap just 95SEK = 13USD.
But do they fit? According to Gtek they measure 90x86x86 mm. And that's at the top.
The way I see it it's the heatpipes which probably will interfere with the capacitors.
And if that can be solved the case must probably have some space between mb and PSU for the heatpipes not to touch the PSU as well.

Oh, and another thing. Purrkurr: from your pics I can tell that the spires are right next to each other (kloss emot in swedish). According to this webshop they measure 80*80mm at the top.
Could you check if that is from edge to edge or if it's the fans size?

I think I'll take the board with me to the store tomorrow and do some measuring with the coolers they have in stock.

Btw. The heatspreaders on the cellys seem like they have seen some grinding in the past. Is that usual?

ps. I already love this board, and I haven't even started it yet! :) ds.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

kretslopp wrote:Oh, and another thing. Purrkurr: from your pics I can tell that the spires are right next to each other (kloss emot in swedish). According to this webshop they measure 80*80mm at the top.
Could you check if that is from edge to edge or if it's the fans size?
Tjenare och välkommen till bp6.com!

The Spires I have are a real tight fit and only after mounting them a few times have I found a good way of mounting them successfully without much fuss, but it is still a tight fit :)

There is another problem with the Spire coolers that came apparent to me only recently. Two of my three BP6 boards have a metal lever on the ZIF socket where the lever itself is bent upwards. If you have a large heatsink that covers even the part of the ZIF socket where the lever is then you will end up with problems. The bent part of the lever is higher than the CPU resting in the ZIF socket itself so the heatsink won't get 100% contact with the CPU causing it to overheat.

I have been thinking about using some tool to "flatten" out the lever but I am a bit scared doing that because I don't know the material of lever. It could break, or worse, it could bend in such a manner where it isn't functional anymore.

My third BP6 has a plastic lever that is straight and integrates well into the ZIF socket and stays out of the way once it has been put into a closed position.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Oh, and please let us know if you find a good solution with parts that are available in shops today!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
kretslopp

Post by kretslopp »

Tack för välkomnandet.

Though I have already run into som problems.

Those friggin capacitors! Been readin alot tonight and among other things about the caps.
I have four bulging caps below the socket next to the DIMM:s (is that CPU#1 or CPU#2?).

So maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The guy who sold it to me stated ha hadn't used in a while (no shit!).
I'll probably know later today.

Well about those caps. Saw the link to badcaps.net earlier and noticed he does not sell outside north america. But what about us?
Do the BP6:ers in europe collect the caps themselves from sites like elfa?
Took a look for caps of the recommendations from badcaps.net

Quantity Value Voltage Diameter
12 1500uF 10v 8mm
12 1000uF 10v 8mm
1 1200uF 10v 8mm

The 1000uF is easy to find but the 1500 and 1200uF seems rarer.

Btw, I have rev 1.0 with the plastic lever.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I have recapped two of my boards myself (and I will probably recap the third as well even though all caps look good). I bought my caps at Elfa. There is a slight problem with buying replacements in that the physical size of the replacement caps from Elfa are larger than the ones on the board. It can be done but it won't look pretty :)

It is recommended to replace bulging/leaking caps. Bulging caps means that they are pretty much messed up and that it is just a matter of time before your board becomes unstable or worse, quits working. There is a lot of information on this topic and modifications of the BP6 around this forum.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
kretslopp

Post by kretslopp »

Great! Could you point out what caps from elfa you used? And I assume they work well? ;)

A thought: If I'll have to recap the board, wouldn't it be a great idea to just solder the new caps so they can be bent slightly to make room for a bigger heatsink, like the Taisol heatpipe i linked to, instead of soldering them as tight to the motherboard as the original ones?
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

kretslopp wrote:Great! Could you point out what caps from elfa you used? And I assume they work well? ;)

A thought: If I'll have to recap the board, wouldn't it be a great idea to just solder the new caps so they can be bent slightly to make room for a bigger heatsink, like the Taisol heatpipe i linked to, instead of soldering them as tight to the motherboard as the original ones?
Once I get back home tonight I'll send you the article numbers for the caps I bought. Elfa only sells good quality stuff so you are safe there. I have also bent the replacement caps away from the ZIF sockets in order to be able to fit a larger heat sink and it works quite allright. I will probably use a plastic gun to glue them to the motherboard but I haven't gotten that far yet...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
kretslopp

Post by kretslopp »

I started the board tonight.
Worked fine it did (atleast in BIOS).

I haggled with a computerstoreworker today concerning a dead board. I figure it might be an idea to practice a lot before turning myself loose on this board. ;)

EDIT: Oh btw, I also ordered two taisol heatsinks. They WILL end up on this board!
Later on I'm gonna remove the 70mm original fans and cool them with a 120mm Adda fan instead.
kretslopp

Post by kretslopp »

Now I have the Taisol coolers in my apartment.
There is a slight interference with some caps as the picture shows.

I also marked the caps that are swelled beyond recognition so I figure I'll recap them all.
I'll try and order the caps from Elfa soon so the partnumbers would be highly appreciated. :)

Oh and I tried the coolers beside each other. I think they might squeeze in without any machinework. But if I have to I will grind them down a bit.
mdutka

Post by mdutka »

Hi All,

I was looking for some good heatsinks&fans for my new BP6. I saw purrkur's post about using Spire WhisperRock IV HSF with BP6. He stated that they (almost :wink: ) fit, and - as they are cheap and available - I bought pair of them.

First attepmt to fit them on my board failed. Although heatsink fitted between caps, it wasn't placed correctly - there was about 3mm shift toward center of board (resulting from placement of edge capacitors), which disallowed proper mounting of HS clips. Also, ZIF socket lever (metal one, v1.0 board) sticked over socket surface and prevented proper seating of HS on processor. I was aware of this and cut both levers just before first bend - they can be closed properly, only lifting is somehow hard.

As I was planning recapping of my BP6, i put my nef HSFs aside.
When recapping, I soldered capacitors on edge of board somewhat above PCB. It allowed to incline them, thus allowing centered seating of big heatsink:

Mounting if heatsinks - which was made after removing mobo from PC case - showed another issue. Right HS (on keyboard socket side, looking from edge of board)) is placed OK, but it's top is wide enough to interfere with left HS. So, left HS must be somewhat shifted toward RAM slots. It can be seen on picture below:

Maybe it is not so important, but - since this HS has a copper core - it may affect proper heat dissipation. However, this HS is designed for Athlons which have much smaller die, and copper core don't fit correctly on the center of Celeron case even when it is correctly placed. I think that it will be better to use WhisperRock III HSF, as it is made of aluminium only (and it seems that it's dimensions are the same).
Here are both HS fitted:

I wanted my PC to be silent - CPUs had to be passive cooled. So, I bought PC case with PSU fitted vertically, just over CPU sockets. I hoped that fitting PSU with 12cm fan will allow proper air flow to dissipate heat from HS'. Well, I fitted it all together:

There is about 40mm space between PSU and HS top. Unfortunately, PSU fan is not centered over CPUs - it must affect heat dissipation.
Then, I made some burn-in tests. They quickly showed that my concept was not correct... :?
When idle, CPU temps reach 31 and 33 deg C. However, after 30 mins of 100% load (2 copies of cpuburn-in) temps rised to 49 and 54 degs C... Too hot. I didn't try it under 100% load for prolonged period of time...

So, I decided to put original fans on HSs:

Now, there is VERY low clearance between fans and PSU:

Now, long 100% burn-in results in CPU temps at 44 and 40 degs C. Not too bad :)

Now, I plan to shift PSU in a way it will be centered over CPUs and add some air duct between PSU and HSs - maybe it'll allow better cooling os HSs without fans.

Regards, mdutka
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Great stuff mdutka! Nice photos as well! What CPU's are you running?

You might want to consider running the CPU fans on lower voltage (7V) to lower noise from them. The fans that Spire supplies are not the best in the world. Good thing is that they are standard 80mm issue so you can swap them for a pair of higher quality fans that turn slower at 12V.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
mdutka

Post by mdutka »

I'm running 2 Cellis at 433MHz. Not planning OC right now, but in future - who knows... :wink:
As of the fans - they are not too loud (I expected them to be louder) and I want to remove them as well. Hope that passive cooling will work at last...

Regards, mdutka
enigma_edi

Advice on WhisperRock IV fans

Post by enigma_edi »

Hi mdutka,

I have been trying to find a suitable heatsink for a long time.

Just to confirm, these heatsinks will not fit without the following modifications:

1. trim ZIF socket lever
2. re-cap or bend Capacitors on outside edge of mobo

Do you think it would be possible to cut the edge of the heatsink to increase the space with the capacitors?

For info, I think Komplett.co.uk are stocking these fans now: http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku= ... ew=default

Thanks for your help.

If anyone knows of any heatsink that will fit the BP6 without cutting, please post your reply here!!. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to get a solution which doesn't require any cutting/solering/etc.

Enigma_edi
Scotland
enigma_edi

Advice on WhisperRock IV fans

Post by enigma_edi »

Duplicate post (network issues).
BCN

Post by BCN »

evercool 725CuD completely fron copper, with 70m fans. no need for bending or sawing.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
mdutka

Post by mdutka »

enigma_edi,

As for my BP6, it was not possible to properly fit these heatsinks without trimmig ZIF socket lever and bending caps. purrkur's BP6 had ZIFs with plastic levers (board rev 1.1?), they do not stick over surface of socket. And he also mentioned bending caps to fit HSs.

However, I think it is possible to saw off edge of heatsink to allow fitting over edge caps - you must cut about 3mm thick slice, height depends on how far caps interfere with HS. It will be hard work, but worth try - these fans are really quiet.

Or, as BCN suggested, you can look for another heatsink, which will fit without such issues. The problem is that nearly none of HSF manufacturers provide detailed pictures or dimensions of their HSs - so you will never know if your HS will fit :wink:

Regards, mdutka
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

mdutka wrote:purrkur's BP6 had ZIFs with plastic levers (board rev 1.1?), they do not stick over surface of socket. And he also mentioned bending caps to fit HSs.
Actually, it was version 1.0, however, I have another V1.0 with the bent metal lever as well. I am not sure what controlled what ZIF socket they used, probably supply and demand. Mdutka, what did you do with your lever? Did you cut a part of it off or did you flatten it out?
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
mdutka

Post by mdutka »

I cut the lever just before first bend, leaving only straight part. It locks properly, only it is somewhat hard to lift - I must use small screwdriver to unlock and lift it. Anyway, I will not do that every day :wink:
I was afraid that - while bending lever to flatten it - I can damage the socket. I tried this on another (already dead) board, the lever material is quite hard and one must use much force to bend it (and don't know if it will not break). It is easier to just cut it off...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

mdutka wrote:I cut the lever just before first bend, leaving only straight part. It locks properly, only it is somewhat hard to lift - I must use small screwdriver to unlock and lift it. Anyway, I will not do that every day :wink:
I was afraid that - while bending lever to flatten it - I can damage the socket. I tried this on another (already dead) board, the lever material is quite hard and one must use much force to bend it (and don't know if it will not break). It is easier to just cut it off...
Good call. The flat plastic lever I got on one of my boards is also extremely inacessible so I have to use a tool to lift it so I guess the effect is the same.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
natorx

Post by natorx »

I just ordered 2 Spire Whisperrock V HSF's (they are supposed to be the same as IV but with a quieter fan). I was looking for a quieter solution and after researching a bit I decided the Evercool CUD-725's would be just as loud as the old fan's in there now. I run my newer AMD computer all the time, but always shut down my BP6 because of the fan noise. I can't sleep at night with it running. :? I hope the fans on the Whisperrock V will be both silent and cool. Watch for more info and maybe even pictures once I get the fans in.