Abit BP6 + 1xCeleron Tualatin 1400@1484

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
nilnet

Re: Only a single lin lin on a modified ZM6?

Post by nilnet »

trueg wrote:Instead of using two socket adapters, would it make sense that I could simply modify my ZM6 (as seen here.. http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/370mod/ ) to accept a FC-PGA and then use a lin lin to make it FC-PGA2 compatible?
Sounds only natural to me .
nilnet

smp on a budget
BP6/C400/SMP/320M/Voodoo3/Slackware10.1/XP//OS2/Knoppix
trueg

Post by trueg »

That's what I thought until I found this thread on googlegroups...

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp. ... 175962bcb4

I don't understand what the difference could be. I know that there are actually 5 pins that are different, but only 3 need to be taken care of to allow a FC-PGA chip to work. Perhaps those other 2 need to be taken care of for an FC-PGA2 to work?
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

A good source of information . They describe numerous levels of implementation for support of FC-pga and FC-PGA2 support with respect to various slotkets and of course your board . Mods for FC-PGA2 are significant. If I had the time and inclination,(and desire) get hold of a lin lin and probe for the mods described (bridging descriibed in the slotket mods . The only way to find out is to try.
nilnet

smp on a budget
trueg

Post by trueg »

Well I was planning on doing the FC-PGA mod anyway and I have a Lin-Lin adapter in my own computer, so it would be easy enough to test.
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

I sort of suspect that the lin lin will fall short. If you review the mods described for the varied slotket revisions. I think that the differences in the jump from fc-pga support to fc-pga2 on the varied rev's is a pretty good reason for lin lin to put the caveat on the box label 'may not support all MB'. My lin lin is on a MSI6905 MASTER ..(.rev 2 I believe ) with c1200 on a BH6. If I quote the author "The 'Master' versions were properly designed to support Pentium3 CPUs and they accept the typical 3-pin mod." and shows the other versions would be due for some nasty mods for the fc-pga2. http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/ms6905_tualatin_mod.

Not to say I'm discouraging you ... good fcpga are showing up on ebay pretty cheap these days .
nilnet

smp on a budget
trueg

Post by trueg »

I wouldn't feel too bad if it didn't work. I was able to get a P3 1100 FC-PGA off ebay for about $40CAN once I sell the Powerleap IP3/T it comes with. It's the fastest FC-PGA you can get and it is only for my 4 yr old daughter. As for FC-PGA boards I picked up a MSI 815E board off a local guy for $20 for my son and am using a Lin Lin with a Celeron 1.4 FC-PGA 2 I got for $30. The Lin Lin cost $15. What's funny is that a week later the same guy was selling a TUSL2 for $30. I could have saved the hassle of getting the Lin Lin. Oh well.
TM30

Post by TM30 »

Hi, i also got a LIN LIN Adapter for my Freetech P6F209 Mini ITX S370 Board. I have got a P3 1200 which needs FSB133...

so when i look at the jumper settings it says "no jumpers b4 thru b9 133MHz"

what should i do? I do not unterstand it! Put a wire from B4 to B9 or what?
headseed

Post by headseed »

TM30 wrote: which needs FSB133...
so when i look at the jumper settings it says "no jumpers b4 thru b9 133MHz"
what should i do? I do not unterstand it! Put a wire from B4 to B9 or what?
no jumpers B4 through B9 means to leave those unjumpered. Take off the jumper on those pins. What does the jumper block look like? 2 pins wide by how many long? Or something like that.

I couldn't find the manual or anything in a few quick goodle searches. I did see that that P6F209 should be able to do the 133 fsb because it is a VIA 133 chipset. Make sure the board is also set to 133 in the bios or by jumper if that is also necessary. Might not need to it may auto detect that, but not sure, so double check!
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently