dual 366s, can get past 90mhz. Please help

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

Sounds like the HighPoint controllers holding you back. Ditch it and buy a Promise card. Also, have you done the EC10 mod, depending on which board rev. you've got.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Good cooling on the northbridge chip may help - http://www.bp6.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... orthbridge

Also, push the CPU voltage up a bit (be careful) over 2.0V.

I run my CPUs at 92MHz FSB with a GlobalWin LAC08 on the northbridge and my chips on 2.05V
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Something obvious just occured to me........

At 90MHz FSB, your PCI devices are running at 45MHz, which is way too fast. If you can do 92MHz OK (perhaps with more voltage) then your PCI devices will be much happier as they're using the 1/3 divider, not the 1/2 divider you find at 90MHz.

At 90MHz FSB, PCI devices are running at 45MHz

At 92MHz FSB, PCI devices are running at 30MHz.

The correct speed is 33MHz (which you get at 100MHz FSB), and a little over is usually OK.

Use MotherBoard Monitor or BP6FSB to monitor your temps, and push the voltage up. Don't let it get over ~60C.

If I were you, I'd go straight for 100MHz FSB and see where that gets you. Good luck!
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

The HighPoint controller's built into the BP6 and even when not in use, it can cause problems. It can never be fully removed, however you can use the modded RU bios without the HighPoint instructions (available on the main page).

The board revision is printed on the side of the ISA slot at bottom of the BP6.

The EC10 mod is well documented on the old forum as well as the main page.

It all depends on how far you want to go. I've never got 100MHz FSB on 2 Celys. 92MHz seems to be the most common. Correct me if I'm wrong InactiveX.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I used to run my 366s at 550 (100MHz FSB) but after I upgraded to 768MHz RAM, it wasn't as stable. But I value having more RAM over a slightly higher FSB.

The important thing to remember when overclocking is there are no guarantees, and your results will be affected by the components you have, your cooling, voltage stability, manufacturing quality, the ascendancy of Venus, etc.

(Actually, ignore that last one - I don't think it makes a difference :lol: )
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

jimboandthejetset,

Do you have your AGP slot speed controlled @2/3 the FSB speed?
I'm running a CELE2-1100MHz/Neo370 combo at 108MHz OK - but, it was totally unstable until I replaced the HPT366 with a Promise ATA100 card.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Good stuff!

Make sure you know where the CMOS reset jumper (CCMOS) is on your BP6. That way, if you push the overclocking too hard and the 'puter won't boot, you can go back to the default settings.

I run my RAM at CAS2
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

jimboandthejetset wrote:I'm gonna install the non high point bios and get me a decent hard disc controller to speed things up a bit more.
My project for the future is to completely trick out my BP6 machine(s). That includes everything from CPU compatibility modifications (read: Pentium 3) to Ultra320 SCSI drives.

I know the BP6 can still be up there performance wise.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Go, DareDevil, GO!