BP6 and USB issue.

RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What BP6 BIOS are you using? I have v.1.25 with P3 microcode by RON and I run USB modem, KB, mouse, and SMC wireless LAN.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The RU bios han many versions. What RU number is it?
One slot shares H/W resources with the HPT366 - Slot3 I think.
Certain cards running in this slot will trigger lockups.
Can you eliminate the HPT366 from running anything?
Adding a Promise/Maxtor ATA100/133 PCI card is highly advised.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

Hi, I had the same problem running a USB alcatel dsl modem under 2000. I tried a powered hub as well to try to resolve the problem....

I tried running Win 98 and it behaved fine, however you like me probably don't want to stoop that low.

I must admit that I kind of gave up, installed a NIC and bought a DSL500... an end to all the hassle and handy to make a small home Lan with.

Later on I got given a Dell Optiplex 233 with USB and a NIC as standard, this now runs smoothwall firewall and runs happily with the alcatel usb modem... so happily that I just keep the DSL500 as back up.

Some of the UK isps have revised drivers for the USB modems on their sites, it may be worth trying them, I know newer drivers have been introduced since I gave up.

www.adslguide.org is another useful resource, certainly in the past they seemed to have many threads regarding problems with XP/2000 and particularly SMP machines...

Good Luck, I hope you get it resolved...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

g0fvt: I have sent you a PM on another matter regarding Smoothwall. Hope you can help me. :-)