VP6 processor options

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

It won't support dual Celeron processors (only one). And that fastest Pentium 3 processors it can handle without modification is the 1.1Ghz (100fsb) FCPGA (non-Tualutian) CPU or the 1.0Ghz (133 fsb) CPU.
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

Powerleap will be making a Tualatin s370 adaptor soon. So it'd just be a matter of getting someone to do the Tualatin bios and boom your in buisness with a pair of 1.4S's ;)
Snugglebear

Re: dual setup on vp6

Post by Snugglebear »

dit0h wrote:some basic questions:
1.is possible or not to run dual fcpga tualatin celerons on vp6
2.is possible or not to run dual fcpga celerons2 on vp6
3. forget about dual celerons only dual p3 possible?
with all types of p3? or specyfic types don not work in dual configuration?

1 and 2 with or without modyfication of mobo/bios etc?

can somebody ask me?

[d2].
1) Nope
2) Nope
3) Yep

Tualatins require adaptors and voltage adjustments. Regular celermines will run uniprocessor w/o any mods or adaptors.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

I think there were a few coppermine FCPGA cA0 chips that didn't want to work dual... but those were like < 600mhz parts. Everything else in the coppermine line works fine. Tualatin P3s with the 512k cache will also run SMP, but not on the vp6 (again, voltage and pin issues). And, if anyone cares, P4s are not SMP capable outside the Xeon line.
e.lectronick

Regarding which PIII's run SMP...

Post by e.lectronick »

Interesting...
So the two 1.1GHz PIII's I just bought are among the fastest that will run without modification on the VP6?

That means that if I screw up on the big BP6 "MOD" that I could just throw my hands up in the air and get a VP6 instead?

Despite the inferior performance of the VIA chipset vs. the i440BX, the faster CPU speeds and the advantages like AGP 4X, more PCI slots, No ISA slots, HPT370 controller with RAID, and the capability of *perhaps* overclocking my 100 MHz PIII to 133, it might be the way to go.

*Musing to self*
Hmmmm...
I might just go that way anyhow...

Let me ask anyone who has thoughts on this: given the modern conveniences of the VP6 versus the performance of the venerable i440BX chipset of the BP6, which is the greater argument?
-Erik.
"Who put the Tribbles in the Quadrotriticale?"
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I just gat an ACORP dual socket 370, IDE RAID board on E-bay for $43!
It will take the Tulatin CPUs in SMP mode using the Upgradeware socket adapters!
Since my recent BP6 upgrade to P-III 1100E CPU+Neo370 is locking up going from 110 to 124 MHz FSB (even with CPU in the 90-95 degrees F. range), I'm ready to bail on the BP6 in order to visit the faster side of the 110MHz FSB speed barrier.
Any estimates of just where the P-III 1100E core will top out, speed-wise?
What about the Tulatin core?
e.lectronick

Lockups

Post by e.lectronick »

Hey RR,
I'm still waiting on my shims and arctic silver paste before I install my 1100E's. I'll see if I can get either one of them to run on my BP6 beyond the 110 mark.
Just curious, have you performed the big dual processor mod on your board?
Also curious if you had considered the Abit VP6 and why (if any reason) you opted for the ACORP?
I'm considering the VP6 for all of it's advantages (no mod required being a consideration), and the Softmenu III seems pretty convenient.
Let me know how the ACORP performs.
Good Luck.
-E.
I'm going to take a look at that auction. I'm interested in all the SMP capable boards out there. I'd hate to drop cash on second best.
e.lectronick

Post by e.lectronick »

The DareDevil wrote:It won't support dual Celeron processors (only one). And that fastest Pentium 3 processors it can handle without modification is the 1.1Ghz (100fsb) FCPGA (non-Tualutian) CPU or the 1.0Ghz (133 fsb) CPU.
Daredevil. Which of these two processors do you think you could get more out of in terms of pure performance when overclocked on the VP6?
I imagine there is a limit (no matter how good your cooling system) to how far a PIII will go when overclocked. I've read that the VP6 can handle as high as 133MHz+PCI speed for a total of 166MHz, right? So, given that, would it be wiser to get a 1.1GHz@100 or a 1.0GHz@133 for overclocking?
My assumption would be that you could conceivably get the 1.1@100MHz rated chip to go faster when overclocked to 133 than you could get the 1.0 to go when overclocked to it's max; though, I don't know whether the extra bus speed of the 1.0G would even the score or put it ahead in terms of performance.
Plus, at speeds up to 133 the overall system would be able to handle the speed better than beyond.
I don't really know much so I'm just flapping at this point, but I'd like to hear any comments on which would be the better choice for maximizing speeds and performance.
-E.
I guess the real question is: Which is more important, CPU speed or Bus speed, and how do you measure their proportional weight when overclocking two processors like these?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

e.lectronick wrote:
The DareDevil wrote:It won't support dual Celeron processors (only one). And that fastest Pentium 3 processors it can handle without modification is the 1.1Ghz (100fsb) FCPGA (non-Tualutian) CPU or the 1.0Ghz (133 fsb) CPU.
Daredevil. Which of these two processors do you think you could get more out of in terms of pure performance when overclocked on the VP6?
I imagine there is a limit (no matter how good your cooling system) to how far a PIII will go when overclocked. I've read that the VP6 can handle as high as 133MHz+PCI speed for a total of 166MHz, right? So, given that, would it be wiser to get a 1.1GHz@100 or a 1.0GHz@133 for overclocking?
My assumption would be that you could conceivably get the 1.1@100MHz rated chip to go faster when overclocked to 133 than you could get the 1.0 to go when overclocked to it's max; though, I don't know whether the extra bus speed of the 1.0G would even the score or put it ahead in terms of performance.
Plus, at speeds up to 133 the overall system would be able to handle the speed better than beyond.
I don't really know much so I'm just flapping at this point, but I'd like to hear any comments on which would be the better choice for maximizing speeds and performance.
-E.
I guess the real question is: Which is more important, CPU speed or Bus speed, and how do you measure their proportional weight when overclocking two processors like these?
Overclocking the 1.1GHz processors to a 133MHz would result in better performance - I’m not sure if you’ll be able to overclock that much.

If you get the 133s right off the bat, well, at least you’re guaranteed the 133 bus.

Yea, get the 133s and try to overclock those. That’s what I would do…

Sorry for my mess of a post, gotta run!

Ciao,

Derek