BP6 ATA66 Raid BIOS

hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Has anyone tried these drivers on the BP6?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

BP6 News Section
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

It would be nice to have onboard RAID :)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Good advise & reading the message base here will confirm that labor invested in trying to get the HPT366 controller to yield any serious performance results is ===> LABOR BADLY INVESTED! The need for speed usually has some corresponding need for reliability, and in this area the HPT366 is highly impoverished. Spend a few bucks on a Promise controller - ATA100, ATA133, or RAID. You will be better invested by this.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I still want onboard RAID :x :D
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The DareDevil wrote:I still want onboard RAID :x :D
With the BP6, you will end up paying much too high a price for what you want!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

lif wrote:
The DareDevil wrote:I still want onboard RAID :x :D
Use SoftwareRaid. :idea:
It works for me. (Mandrake 8.2) :wink:
I was being difficult for RRLedford; as If I would suggest buying a Promise controller myself! :P
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Correct me if im wrong, but the only reason the hpt366 controller onboard goes out of tune only because everyone wants to overclock thier bp6 to the next power.

And if going to overclock the bp6 board, just purchase a promise ata controller card? even if its a promise ata66/100 cheapie? so thats going to make the computer more stable than using the onboard raid while overclocking eh?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

gabumon wrote:And if going to overclock the bp6 board, just purchase a promise ata controller card? even if its a promise ata66/100 cheapie? so thats going to make the computer more stable than using the onboard raid while overclocking eh?
Yes! Because the Promise chip is much better to start with. Read: This 366 stuff is old technology!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

A promise 66 card would or would NOT do raid?

Or do all promise cards support raid or are they just supporting the udma 66 / 100/133 ?

Oh o I think I just bought something I dont even need
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

That depends on the card you bought.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Well as long as its not the onboard ide channel, I acidentally bought a ultra66 card, that could be used for stability if overclocking the bp6 correct since the onboard is only dma33, which is extremely slow!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Promise makes (has made) a whole series of IDE controller cards, going up from ATA66-ATA133 and on to RAID/Caching RAID. They have a good track record of producing serious performance designs at a modest price.
I advise getting at least the ATA100 or ATA133 at this stage in PC H/W development. Even if you stick with an ATA66 card in favor of the HPT366, you will likely gain in both stability & performance on the BP6.
The Maxtor boxed controllers that I've seen are OEM Promise designs.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Thats good to hear, I also did purchase a raid ata100 fasttrax so ill put both controllers to the test when Ill recieve them, Maybe I wont be selling my bp6 after all =D
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Gabumon: You can turn an Ultra66 into a FastTrak RAID controller with a bit of soldering and a BIOS flash.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/00 ... 66-05.html

I did the procedure myself a couple of years ago and it really does work, although you'll be voiding your warranty.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Spending around $5 for a ***used working*** ultra66 card, Sounds delightful, Now where is that damn soldering pen......btw I busted up laughing since you guys give me info on this =D