Boot dificulties

PorPorMe

Boot dificulties

Post by PorPorMe »

I've just got a BP6 with 366 cellies and am having a very strange boot problem. Test bench with just CPU's and I get a good bios beep. Now, somewhere in the install process, I loose the bios beep. Just the HSF spin up. I tear back down and get to test bench some times I'll have a bios beep but most times I won't. After sitting for a while, eventually I'll get the bios beep again. One time I got it to post, it had a chksum error but it wouldn't recognize my USB mouse. I powered off, put on a PS2 mouse, and it would not boot.
The only thing that looks like things are in common is the power shut down. Could that be shocking the board in some way? Why is it varying the post so much? I've gone through this in various forms about 10 times. Each time i try to put it together a different way but get to the complete install with out loosing the bios beep and therefor the boot. Anybody with an idea?
Core 2 Duo E4300@3.00Ghz Folding 24/7 for Team 45 at AOA, The Alliance of Overclocking Arts.
PorPorMe

Post by PorPorMe »

I have this problem posted on 3 forums, here, Overclockers, and AOA. There has not been a single response. With all that knowledge out there somebody has to have some kind of idea. If it sounds dumb, lets hear it. If it's just an off the wall guess, lets hear it. I am clean out of ideas except to keep turning it on and hoping that this time will be the time it goes all the way through and that is a dumb way to run a railroad!
Core 2 Duo E4300@3.00Ghz Folding 24/7 for Team 45 at AOA, The Alliance of Overclocking Arts.
PorPorMe

Post by PorPorMe »

My error,clicked twice
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

1st, Welcome to the board.

Sorry for the slow reply. Most of us don't monitor BP6.com as closely as we used to especially on Holiday weekends when a Hurricane is bearing down on New Orleans again.

First thing to do is look at the capacitors. Are they all standing straight and in order? If they have signs of leaning, bulging, or that black goo leaking out of them, then you have to get them fixed before the board will ever work correctly.

Oh, we have members all around the world and I was supprised to see no replies from other parts of the world.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
PorPorMe

Post by PorPorMe »

I've gone over the capacitors 4 or 5 times, at this point, I wish it was them but they stand like little soldiers and are as clean as a whistle.
I'm clutching at straws buy I'm wondering if the cutting the power off might have something to do with it.
I just had an experience that was similar, not exact, but similar. I was OC'ing A Tyan board with a P lll 733. When I'd make a bad change and it doesn't boot, I'd pop the battery out to re-set theCMOS and wait a few, put the battery back in a boot.

If I don't wait long enough-nothing happens. The CPU fans don't even spin up. It's somewhat similar. It's the way it varies when I lose the bios beep that drives me crazy. Sometimes I have on the test bench-sometimes I don't. What's up with that?
PorPorMe

Post by PorPorMe »

I am amazed at the lack of response on 3 different forums. It's a little mind boggling. I'm not going to find an answer so this board goes in the trash. Anyone want a couple of 366 cellies with Thermaltake Golden Orbs?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

First of all, no-one owes you any answers, so please don't get so hot-headed about it. Bad manners won't get you very far.

Have you tried another PSU?
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

PorPorMe wrote:I am amazed at the lack of response on 3 different forums. It's a little mind boggling. I'm not going to find an answer so this board goes in the trash. Anyone want a couple of 366 cellies with Thermaltake Golden Orbs?
As inactve said, rudeness and lack of civility will get you nowhere. That being said, there are all kinds of possibilities. Remember these boards are pretty old now. I have one running that lost its ide controllers a couple of years ago. Its been running SCSI ever since and has never missed a beat.

In your case, it really sounds like a flaky Power supply. Have you tried another one? One other thing is to start from ground zero. Pull all the cards and memory and see what she does. It should power up with all kind of noise. If its still silent pull the bios battery and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then start the process again. Insert one component at a time and see where she dies. You may just have a bad board, but it doesn't sound like it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

Double post ..... sorry
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I've had a TV repair guy take out all my caps and replace them.

with all the old caps in hand, we tested all the good looking ones, they were all duds.
then we tested all the bad bulging caps, they all worked, sort of.

I'd do the caps, anyway, unless you know they've been done.
defintiley do the EC10 (?) (been a while) anyway
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866