Just bought 2 1100E PIII on Ebay, now what?

e.lectronick

Just bought 2 1100E PIII on Ebay, now what?

Post by e.lectronick »

Hi everyone.
I just purchased two of the 1100E 100MHz FSB 256KB cash PIII cpus on Ebay from the auctions that were mentioned in the Great Internet Deals list here on the forum.
Provided this deal isn't total BS, what do I do next? I've seen the method of modding the BP6 to run SMP PIIIs and I'm willing to do it. I've got all the tools since I tinker with audio equipment, but I'd like to know what people use to cool their PIIIs on a BP6?
I'd really like to use my golden orbs that I have running on my dual Celery 366s, but I'm not sure they will fit with the new Coppermines and the NeoS370 sockets.
Are there any Golden Orb style coolers made for the PIII? I've heard of Blue Orbs, and Silver Orbs but I'd like to hear from you and your preferences. I don't really want to go the way of watercooling, but I do want *quiet*
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, guys.
-Erik.
"Who put the Tribbles in the Quadrotriticale?"
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

My (2) P-IIIs arrived promptly & they look very OEM new!
I'm also prepping to install (2) P-III/1100E CPUs. The link below is very good for high performance Socket 370 cooling options at fair prices.
http://www.nexfan.com/29/cat29.htm?472
I also ordered their copper shims for P-III. These help to ensure heatsink stays aligned with surface of CPU, plus help a little with extra cooling. Use the premium type micronized silver thermal paste (95-99%) like Arctic Silver brand.
As for Quiet, that's my #1 priority; I ordered 2 coolers with oversize copper heatsinks & 70mm fans, so that the noise level needed to get ~30CFPM of airflow would be near 30db level. Some combo coolers go up to even 80mm fans, but I was worried they would be too tight a fit.
I'll keep posting my progress.
e.lectronick

Copper shims

Post by e.lectronick »

Thanks for the website. Are you saying you ordered your CPU's from the EBAY guy too? If so, that's good that you received them so quickly and they look so new. I'm hopeful.
Regarding the shims. I just realized that my existing golden orbs (trimmed for my BP6) might just work for the new CPUs, but I wonder if I need shims for the smaller footprint of the PIII contact area? I'm using the old Celerons right now, and they have the larger surface area that comes into contact with the heatsink.
Where can I get shims that fit with the PIII and the golden orb?
Thanks again for the info.
-Erik.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

My (2) EverCool 715 copper sinks with 70mm silver fan coolers arrived today from nexfan.com, along with the shims. These are truely primo design and only cost $16. I think the shims were only $2.00 too! The larger fan gives ~30CFPM airflow at around 30db noise level.
What a pleasure do get some quality H/W without feeling ripped off!
I'm going to see if I can transfer the Neo370 clip to the EverCool sink, since it's engineered for the extra length needed to accomodate the added thickness of the Neo370 adapter.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

e.lectronik,
Did you get the P-III/1100E chips from Que Computer yet?
Yes mine came right on schedule and are SL... spec - SMP capable.
e.lectronick

Not Yet...

Post by e.lectronick »

Hi,
I haven't received them yet, but I did get an email confirming that UPS will deliver them on 9/11. I guess I'll just sit tight.
By the way, I finally found the copper shims on the Nexfan.com website, and I'm going to order a pair and see if my Golden Orbs will work with the PIIIs. I figure I'll just have to bend the clips a bit to allow them to clear the extra height of the Neo S-370s.
I'll goof around with one processor until I get up the guts to attempt to mod my BP6 for SMP. I'm a little scared I might mess it up. I'd better do some less fragile projects before I try something as delicate and precise as my motherboard. I've only got one.
I'll let you know when the PIIIs arrive.
-Erik.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

e.electronick,

You may want to rethink the "just bend the clips abit" idea. I tried this with my new EverCool 715 Copper/70mm fan & broke the clip end right off.
These are spring steel and the stiffness comes with brittleness included. Any bending should be gradual & spread over some lenth. Sharp bends will give cracks or breaks.
The EverCool 715 clip is captured in a "tunnel" thru the copper fins. I tried to bend the tip do I could attach an extension & it broke off. I then cut the other end off & removed it. I was able to transfer the Neo370 clip thru the tunnel sideways & then turn the ends down toward the socket. However the Neo370 clip was a little shorter & required that a small notch in the copper base be added on one side.
I agree with our quiet-good-cooling is better than noisey-good-cooling approach. I'm looking forward to a single low-noise-fan CPU setup.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

This may help you - the paperclip mod:

http://bp6.gamesquad.net/orbs/orbs2.phtml
e.lectronick

Post by e.lectronick »

InactiveX wrote:This may help you - the paperclip mod:

http://bp6.gamesquad.net/orbs/orbs2.phtml
Ahhhh, yes... The ages old "Paperclip Mod"

Truly sage.

*smacks forehead and thinks "I could've had a V-8"*

Y'know, why do I always forget the simple stuff when I'm dealing with computers?
Thanks, that's exactly what we need. And ironically, in another thread, I even suggested the Golden Orbs mod to someone else. I guess I should've looked at it too.
Thanks,
-Erik.