Cleaning Thermal paste off of things...

Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Cleaning Thermal paste off of things...

Post by Blueneko »

Ever seen the el cheapo white thermal paste you usually get when you buy a oem cpu? the small package of no name brand white thermal paste that slides and goops everything when it gets hot. I have this slight problem, and I have no idea on how I can go upon cleaning white cheapo thermal paste from inside an AGP slot.
It all happened from the thermal paste sliding down, onto the vidoe card and slowly seeping into the port itself. Now when I plug a card into the slot, the machine cries it dont see a video card. What can be used in cleaning out thermal paste from a slot without damaging pins, and making it reusable?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Electronics shops use some type of aerosol spray solvent that cleans/removes unwanted materials but does not damage PC board or electronic components. Not sure what they call this stuff. Usually, you get a little red tube that allows you to spray into small areas. I would check out Radio Shack or your local eletronics store.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

You might want to apply it using a cotton bud. :!:

If that is too thick get a toothpick and take a sharp knife to split the end about 1/4" then either use tissue paper (aka toilet roll) or cotton (from a cotton ball). trap the end of the tissue/cotton in the split and wrap a small amount around the stick, you can vary the amount depending on the size you need. :idea:

Be careful what solvent you use as some of them will disolve the plastic ofthe AGP slot or worse stuff on the board. :shock:

Lycaon
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

We discussed this in detail in another thread. I'll look for it when I'm back at home.