Fully Submerged Cooling

Cool cases? Different resistors? More airflow? Show us...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Fully Submerged Cooling

Post by InactiveX »

While perusing www.hackaday.com - a great site by the way - I came across this site, with pictures of a PC submerged in vegetable oil.

The entire computer minus the disk drives is submerged and has been running for over a year.

:shock:
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I scoped this out. Its a Celeron 550 with 192meg of ram. My thinking is that oil would conduct electricity which would interfear(sp) with some of the ICs and the PSU. Also I wonder about the fans...since designed for airflow, they might be effective at only a fraction of the RPMs. At least it looks like someone found a solution to that greasy...dusty gunky stuff that gets on HS and fans.

BTW, it must be a really slow "news" day because in the last 24 hours or so all the new posts had to do with OOH.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

The oil that is being used does not conduct electricity. Most large transformers are filled with oil as are large electrical breakers (28.8KV and up, I used to work in a very large electrical generating plant, everything was filled with oil!). :wink:

Somewhere in the dim distant past, I recall a BP6 that was not only submerged in oil but the oil and the BP6 were located in one of those small "bar top" freezers to super-cool it! The oil had a very low "pour point"(pour point is the lowest temp that the oil will flow at).

I know that they "reported" some very promissing over-clocking results but before the results could be published the website suddenly vanished, never to be heard from again!

Lemme see now, I got a spare modded BP6, 2 modded NEO 370's, some RAM laying around, a spare vid card, sound card --- now if can just convince my wife that I REALLY NEED that neat little freezer that I saw on sale at WalMart :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards,

Jaybird