Integrate Service Pack 2 Into A Windows CD

Moderator: News Team

InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Integrate Service Pack 2 Into A Windows CD

Post by InactiveX »

This is a very useful and clearly-written guide on how to "slipstream" Service Pack 2 into a Windows installation CD.

Click Here

A slipstreamed CD will allow you to install Windows normally from a bootable CD, but the SP2 files will be used to begin with. This will save installation time, particularly if, like me, you do a lot of installs.

The procedure is very simple and only takes half an hour or so, including burning a new install CD.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Thanks so much for this posting!
This fills the void that Microsoft creates by taking no responsibility for immediately integrating the fixes for their flaws into their S/W at the installation level. Month afer month they allow their bogus and flawed S/W to be the only install option available, passing the responsibility for the integration of available fixes down to the end user level. This sick marketing concemt must soon die, but until then, posts like this make our lives a little more bearable!!
Zero point energy
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Thank you for posting this InactiveX!

And what RR said :)
-Derek
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

RRLedford wrote:Thanks so much for this posting!
This fills the void that Microsoft creates by taking no responsibility for immediately integrating the fixes for their flaws into their S/W at the installation level. Month afer month they allow their bogus and flawed S/W to be the only install option available, passing the responsibility for the integration of available fixes down to the end user level. This sick marketing concemt must soon die, but until then, posts like this make our lives a little more bearable!!
I have read somewhere that it takes only about 20 minutes average for a computer to be compromised that has been hooked to the net with a fresh XP installation on it. That, my friends is a joke. What is even a bigger joke is the "trusted computing" stuff that MS is flagging and telling everybody that they are "on top of security". If you are paying hard earned cash for an OS, then this type of problem shouldn't even exist.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I'm glad you found the link useful.

purrkur: I've just read this article which mentions the 20 minute average time it takes to become infected.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

purrkur wrote:
RRLedford wrote:Thanks so much for this posting!
I have read somewhere that it takes only about 20 minutes average for a computer to be compromised that has been hooked to the net with a fresh XP installation on it. That, my friends is a joke. What is even a bigger joke is the "trusted computing" stuff that MS is flagging and telling everybody that they are "on top of security". If you are paying hard earned cash for an OS, then this type of problem shouldn't even exist.
A fresh XP install will shutdown/reboot in a few seconds if none of the Critical Updates have been downloaded or installed. We see this all the time when new ADSL Customers start using their ADSL service. MSBlaster or Sasser WORMs are usually the culprit. Many of them think it is caused by the DSL service.

UNIX is the best, as this OS was designed for security from from the very beginning.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
alang

Post by alang »

:P
Yep, I can confirm that shut down business. Install XP home on my nephew's system, didn't turn on the firewall. Four minutes after powering up the DSL modem, it was shutting down. I was bypassing my router, which has a firewall active within) because Neph's PC lacks a NIC interface so I had to use the USB port.
:wink:
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I alwasy install NAV or something after an MS-OS install before connecting to the net. Ive never had ahything at home but dialup and the updates on anti-virus and WIndows are both a real pain, but I do them anyway.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

I find that Nlite does the slipstream quite nicely, and it evens makes the sio's for you aswell

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

did I mention additioal drivers can integrated, and Windows component's can be removed :)
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

oops should of read the artical before posting :O

heres a guide to do it by hand if you want :)

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/w ... ootcd.html