My BP6 died. :(

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
davd_bob
Confused

My BP6 died. :(

Post by davd_bob »

:woot: I my last remaining BP6 set up in a roomy, well ventlated case with a great PSU. Lots of drives combinations to throw in.

See, my BP6 was giving irratic and disapointing behavior the last two times I've had it set up :umm: (thats why it got torn down) So this time I set it up again and loaded XP Pro to really check it out. To my disapointment, after trying IDE1 and IDE2, a SCSI and a Promise PCI card, every attempt to load the XPpro resulted in BSOD. :headsmash:

As a last resort I decided to try Ubuntu but first ran the venarable Memtest which is one of the test options on the install CD, and found the board gets memory errors on the 1st two ram slots. I didn't bother trying the 3rd. I tested 3 different sticks of ram on the first then the 2nd slot to make sure, but every test started kicking errors out at 39%. :yikes:

:cry: :cry: Im really crying, but alas, there is a season for everything under the sun. :cry: :cry: I updated my sig to show I have NO more of them. (I will still be lurking though)

Anyway, I have available a pair of lapped 366 with matching FEP32 HSFs.
Also an extra 366 and a 500 that are not lapped. If anyone needs caps maybe I can pull them(all look excelent) and send them, or the entire board. I have a spare nic or 2, and can lay my hands on an extra 128MB PC-100 as well. If you need any of it, ask away.

I feel such sadness at losing my constant companion, that taught me so much about hardware interaction.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

do you have some program that will tell you the voltage on the MEM slots? it should be 3,3V...but mine works about 3,15-3,2V usually!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Haven't bothered because I wont go into that level of repair on the board. The last few times the board was set up it was with diff PSUs so it not likely that they were ALL bad...meaning the board itself has a failure. The most recent PSU was on my Athlon DDR system which ran just fine so its certainly my BP6 thats bad.

I see by your sig that you could use some 366s. Then kick your FSB to 100MHz and use turbo. That combo always reported my 366s at 561. Plus the entire system got the benifit of ram running at nearly 50% faster then you will ever get out of that system with 533s on it.

In fact, you can possably get 108fsb with 366s@594. That would leave everything on all the busses OC'ed about the same as you currently have, with 50%gain on the ram and a slight gain on the CPU clicks.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:Haven't bothered because I wont go into that level of repair on the board. The last few times the board was set up it was with diff PSUs so it not likely that they were ALL bad...meaning the board itself has a failure. The most recent PSU was on my Athlon DDR system which ran just fine so its certainly my BP6 thats bad.

I see by your sig that you could use some 366s. Then kick your FSB to 100MHz and use turbo. That combo always reported my 366s at 561. Plus the entire system got the benifit of ram running at nearly 50% faster then you will ever get out of that system with 533s on it.

In fact, you can possably get 108fsb with 366s@594. That would leave everything on all the busses OC'ed about the same as you currently have, with 50%gain on the ram and a slight gain on the CPU clicks.
i have them...but the board won't run with them...

maybe with water cooling?
s4brains

Re: My BP6 died. :(

Post by s4brains »

davd_bob wrote::

Anyway, I have available a pair of lapped 366 with matching FEP32 HSFs.
Also an extra 366 and a 500 that are not lapped. If anyone needs caps maybe I can pull them(all look excelent) and send them, or the entire board. I have a spare nic or 2, and can lay my hands on an extra 128MB PC-100 as well. If you need any of it, ask away.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I too have experienced the death of my beloved BP-6. Alas, mine died as a result of my own shortcomings. I finally decided to recap mine and the board fell from my hands scratching several circuit traces in the vicinity of the "greenie".

I would gladly pay you shipping and handling if you are willing to forefit your board for that and little else. Perhaps between the two motherboards I could restore one back to working condition.

If this is something that you would be willing to pursue, advise and I will provide an e-mail address so that we could continue discussion and negotiations.

Best Regards,

s4
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Your BP6 will live on in our memories.
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Derek wrote:Your BP6 will live on in our memories.
Thanks big D. That means a lot comming from you.

I'm sure some of my off beat posts will linger for a time too.

s4brains, PMed ya.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

davd_bob wrote:
Derek wrote:Your BP6 will live on in our memories.
Thanks big D. That means a lot comming from you.
Oh for goodness sake, it's only a bloody motherboard.

[InactiveX runs for cover]

:wink:
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

X-man,
I wondered when you were gona chime in.

I was kind of expecting condolances(or pot shots) from a few more old timers too.

Klik,
Have you tried Memtest or anything to see if your issues might be related to something off the board. Mine with something bad happening will still run Linux, W2K pro, and Windows98, as long as I don't mind the frequent freeze up.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Anyone have a spare mobo to send to Dave?
-Derek
KliK

Post by KliK »

davd_bob wrote:X-man,
I wondered when you were gona chime in.

I was kind of expecting condolances(or pot shots) from a few more old timers too.

Klik,
Have you tried Memtest or anything to see if your issues might be related to something off the board. Mine with something bad happening will still run Linux, W2K pro, and Windows98, as long as I don't mind the frequent freeze up.
i have, no problems found with MEMTEST!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Derek wrote:Anyone have a spare mobo to send to Dave?
Alas, I only have the one, and I'd sell my body before I sell my BP6.

Hope you manage to track one down Dave.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Finally got some loving my way.

**a single tear falls across a bitter sweet smile**

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

none of mine are turned on at the moment, for a long time actually
but international postage
they need a good Aus home
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]