SETI/BOINC Released

Moderator: News Team

Derek
Site Admin

SETI/BOINC Released

Post by Derek »

BOINC has been released to the public and can be downloaded from http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/

The BP6.Com (BOINC) Team stats are here: http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/t ... amid=30229

See our SETI forum (http://www.bp6.com/board/viewforum.php?f=25) and the SETI homepage for more information.

Derek
-Derek
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Better get crunching!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Yeah, finally there are work units :) Each of my computers has at least 20 units.
-Derek
BCN

Post by BCN »

yeah... I still have to finish off the remaining ones on SETI classic... oh two days more... :(
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Billl

Post by Billl »

I wonder how many crunchers they will lose in this conversion. From what I've seen I may just take my computer power else where. I think the whole idea is a bad move.

Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

so where will you take it bill?
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I decided my post was a distraction to the SETI discussion so deleted it.
Last edited by davd_bob on Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Billl

Post by Billl »

Well I'll either just quit entirely or maybe work on the cancer one. Not really sure. Just pisses me off they are changing. I really liked my setup and I'm betting no one makes nice front ends for Boinc like they did for sah. Just a shame really I finally put togather one heck of a crunching farm and they decide to just abandon sah. And yes these are all my own machines crunching. I don't even know how to respond to davd_bob? What the hell that has to do with me quiting I haven't the faintest.

Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

me neither, but I cannot get the work units for BOINC... it tells no work available for seti@home project....

Besides, it is not killing SAH, but it is making more flexible application :)
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

They will probably decide NOT to abandon sah due to the uproar that is following. Hopefully not anyway because many people will quit crunching at least for a while.

That cancer research thing sounds good. I never didn't realize there was anything really worthwhile out there like that. I just thought SETI was a boredom/processing-power thing.
Billl wrote:I don't even know how to respond to davd_bob?
Billl
Billl, I didn't mean to confuse or offend. Sorry if I did.
Last edited by davd_bob on Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
BCN

Post by BCN »

just got first BOINC WUs! GREAT!

Yeah, they might loose some people on SAH, but BOINC is still the same SAH, but upgraded and I personally like it even more.

It IS user friendly anyway :)
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I don't mind the idea of going to BOINC.
it's the implementation....

I know setiq took ages to debug and get right...
but boinc has little niggly errors and problems that make it look really second-rate.
the new /sah boinc is going to be the continuance of the existing sah, crunching the same wus, but processed and credited in a different way.

the AP part was totally different application.
so, it's not abandoning the current sah, it's doing it differently.
when it's right, I might change my machines over.
but it's like linux, too damned hard atm.
BCN

Post by BCN »

where do you find this particualr app too hard? :)

run the .exe, install, attach to the project with your account code and you are off. - everything else is done by app, even caching, no worries for loking into other software, no worries on how to use them together, you want graphics, then you have them, even 3D... :)

You wanna try astropulse, so you will be able to when it is out, southern hemisphere sky? then you are able to and you yourself dedicate how much time you spend on every project.

it is like windows 95 to windows 3.11 - different and new, when there is something new, there is a chalenge to many people, because they need to adapt, to learn and that is not so comfortable, as it was the old and the already known...

Human nature? psychology? call whatever you want but humans we are like this and the majority it has as a major problem for every change, and anything new is a change for EVERYONE. :)

Cheers!
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Billl

Post by Billl »

BCN wrote: Human nature? psychology? call whatever you want but humans we are like this and the majority it has as a major problem for every change, and anything new is a change for EVERYONE. :)

Cheers!
I'm not afraid of change per se. I just think they are making a big mistake forcing everyone to make the transition. Particularly in light of the problems they are having with BOINC. I'm just a little tired of Beta testing for these guys. Isn't it bad enough all the bandwidth issues we have endured over the years? There is no reason they can't let the old program run concurrently with the new one. And they are making everyone start all over with stats. What the heck is with that? So all these people that have devoted years to this research get to start from scratch. For me it is now just over 5 years I've devoted to this. Building my machines and increasing my output. And for the record every WU I've ever turned in came from a machine I personally own. Past contributions it seems mean nothing. My guess is your going to hear a rather large sucking sound as users say screw this and head out the door!

Its just someone's ego saying this is how it is and if you don't like it TOUGH. Well I do have a choice I can take my processing power elsewhere. Or I can just dismantle it. SAH works and I've always believed if it ain't broke don't fix it! If they were to offer you even an option. That would have been a gesture to the old guard, that we do value your time and efforts. This arrogance is like a slap in the face, at least as I see it.
Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

the problem here is that you are worried for your stats... :D in the end it does not matter, because it does not make you any better or worse, it is just your illusion of importance... :) better than 97-99% of users according to your WUs... and so WHAT??!!! IS IT ANYTHING TO BRAG ABOUT?? :)

that is the problem, man! :) and anywhere else :)

what really matters is that you crunch those WUs for some goal, for some research, that it seems important enough for you to dedicate the empty cycles of your CPU.

P.S. I am also like 4 or 5 years with them, do not remember, but somehow those stats do not mean to me that much to start flaming and complaining. Upgrade your soft and continue. Would it be any different if they would have released SAH 3.09 or else, but did not start those stats from zero??? you would have to upgrade the software anyway :)
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
BCN

Post by BCN »

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/talks/madrid_03/madrid.html

Read this, Bill! Folding@home is developing their transition to BOINC, there are some more projects that are on their way!

So upgrade and forget that "who's got BIGGER?" complex about your stats :)

if you are interested, so then just contribute! :D
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Billl

Post by Billl »

BCN wrote:http://boinc.berkeley.edu/talks/madrid_03/madrid.html

Read this, Bill! Folding@home is developing their transition to BOINC, there are some more projects that are on their way!

So upgrade and forget that "who's got BIGGER?" complex about your stats :)

if you are interested, so then just contribute! :D
It would seem you missed the entire point of my post! If it was all about a "who's got bigger" complex I would have quit years ago. Since I hardly measure up against these guys with tons of computer power at their disposal. I don't need a lecture on what to do or not do with my computing power. I'll make my own choice when the time comes. When SAH goes I'll probably go with it. And like it or not I am entitled to my opinion.

Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

sure you are, but SAH does not go, it continues in BOINC - that's what you missed :)
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

I edited my previous posts as they seemed more offensive then intended.

If SETI is a worth the effort then it will eventually abandon BIONIC someday just as it seems to be moving from SAH. Anyone that deems SETI worthy of their processing power, unfortunatly will have to bite the bullet and accept those changes. During such migrations may be a good time to take a break from the project and after any bugs are worked out, then it might be less frustrating to rejoin.

David
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Every one seems to be blaming boinc for the recent problems with the new seti-boinc project.

It is actually seti's fault that there are problems.

There are other projects running on boinc that are working fine.

Seti's server’s weren’t up to the job.
They under estimated the number of people that would start the new project straight away and their servers got bogged down. Coupled with the fact that one of the machines had a faulty stick of ram, things went tits up.

They are not forcing any one to change yet, perhaps after the recent problems they might extend the amount of time people have to swap over, as like some have pointed out boinc has still got some small problems that should have been fixed in the beta testing. I feel the project has jumped the guns a little and gone live too soon. I have seen a few reasons as to how this could have happened. The live project was still being tested by the alpha testers; one of these testers might have leaked the link to the live project causing a load of people to start using it before it was ready, meaning they had to release early to make it fair for everyone else.
The other reason could have been pressure from someone higher up in the project getting impatient and thinking they knew better.

The reason they reset the stats is because it is a new scoring system and effectively a new project. The stats from the old seti have been carried over and are on your stats page, but don’t count towards the new projects stats, although I think that is what they are using to rank people in the new project at the moment.
Billl

Post by Billl »

Something else you should all think about. I just ran across this today.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/security.php

Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

and?..
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Billl

Post by Billl »

BCN wrote:and?..
Obviously you didn't read it! Or your incapable of comprehending the ramifications? So let me spell it out for you! BOINC has more holes then IE. Well ok maybe not more holes but it sure doesn't look very promising. If you value your own computer's security. It's tough to top MS at building software with holes. But they are sure trying hard to compete!

Billl
BCN

Post by BCN »

well, I have read all of it on that page. it just seems those holes are not that exploitable with those identification keys. :)

that was the meaning of my and? :D
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

Billl wrote:
BCN wrote:and?..
Obviously you didn't read it! Or your incapable of comprehending the ramifications?

Billl
LOL that just cracks me up everytime I read it.
it sounds like you're some kind of evil genious trying to explain to your dumbwitted assistant your plan for world domination
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is