[ KB ] How to Make an $80 Keychain

Derek
Site Admin

[ KB ] How to Make an $80 Keychain

Post by Derek »

Written Jan 1999

These days there are a lot of you out there that own celerons and like to tweak the heck out of them. I'm also sure that at least one or two of you out there has ended up with an overcooked celery that no longer has electrons coursing through through it's veins. Hmm, I knew 3.0 volts was a little too much juice. Well anyway in the event that you have said item in your possession. Print this article out and run to the local hardware store, because there is now something new and exciting that you can do with your dead celeron.

Question: Why would I want to do this to my beautiful green celeron, that until 5 minutes ago was getting 100 Frames per second in quake2?
Answer: To impress the chicks of course!..heh.. Not really, I doubt normal people would even know that that a celery is an overclockable electronic component. But to geeks like us, it's a sign of respect and honor to the "Holy" Celeron. blah blah blah. Or it's just something that looks cool and provides conversational material at the dinner table (I.E. MacDonalds drive-through-window)
Parts needed: One Dead Celeron
2-3 1 mm drill bits
1 3 mm drill bit
1 Cordless drill
1 Toothbrush
1 Large Pizza and some drinks
1 Knife
2 Small keyrings (to hold keys to the Viper)
Patience (lots of it)
1 Roll of tape

Step 1: Tape the Celeron to the table or piece of cardboard or something. This will keep the celeron from running away once it sees that big drill heading toward it. Make sure to have the back of the celeron facing up. In other words you want to drill into the side that doesn't have the actual processor on it. Next you will need to use the 1 mm drill bit to drill out every single hole that the cpu on the other side is attached to. So basically, drill through the pin that is located on the back of the celeron.
BTW there are about 543 pins (give or take 1 or 2) that need drilling. You will need to drill through far enough to make sure the pin from the processor is no longer touching the PCB. Hmm actually After just now looking at my new keychain.I just realized I didn't even need to drill all those holes. Doh.. I wasted my time.. Actually the way I did it, loosened the PCB just enough so that I could pry the CPU right off of the Slot 1 itself. Otherwise you will need to drill through the pins from the top of the cpu. This wouldn't look as cool. Anyway here are the steps I took.
Drilling: You will need to drill all of the pins connecting to the processors. Looking at the picture below, you will only need to drill in the little square template shown.

NOTE: Make sure not to drill too deep otherwise you will make a hole in the processor. The drilling process will take a long time, Trust me, plan on spending all night on this one. If your eyesight isn't as good as it used to be then you may want to go with the jumbo keychain look and just stick the whole celeron on the keyring. At the time my cordless drill wasn't charged good enough, so I ended up drilling about 200+ of the holes by hand.

Once your are finished drilling all of those freaking holes, double check once again to make sure that they are all drilled deep enough.

Image Image
Prying of the CPU: The next step will be to pry the CPU off of the PCB. But before you can do that you will need to bend and twist the PCB in order to break the remaining contacts the cpu is making to the the base of the PCB. After you get enough clearance to fit the knife under it you can begin to lift up the processor from the PCB using that dangerous sharp knife. BTW.. Don't use your "Rambo" survival knife, it's probably too thick and won't fit between the chip.

Gently work you way around.

Then pull the chip off of the PCB. Wow your almost there now!

Break time: Go grab some Pizza (probably cold by now) and take a good 10 minute break Don't forget to grab something cold to drink also, cuz drilling is hard work!
[page]

Viewing the damage: Take your dismantled celeron to the sink and give it a good washing. Use a toothbrush or something to get all the green celery remaining from between pins on the underside of the processor.

Here is a closer look at the board beneath the chip.That's a lot of holes. :-)

Here is a picture of the PPGA (plastic pin grid array) 300A in comparison to the SEPP (single edge processor package) 300A. The PPGA is on the right.

The PPGA is on the left this time.

The PPGA is noticeably bigger in size.

Here is a pic of the underside of the SEPP celeron.
[page]

Now to the keychain making part: After cleaning the CPU, Take a file and file down the contacts on the back side of the CPU. This will make the copper pins shine. Next you will need to drill a hole in the chip to fit the Keyring through. I chose to drill the hole at a corner about 3-4 pins deep. I used about a 3 mm drill bit for this hole. This should give me enough wafer so that it doesn't crack.

Image Image
Image Image

Here are some pics of the final result after adding the keyrings.

Image Image
Image Image

That's all: The End

Keychain Picture Gallery
Last edited by Derek on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snakebite

Post by snakebite »

helluva lot of work to drill out that slot celeron.
it it a bga device so just heatgun it to solder melting temp.
then lift it off with hemostats.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

If your BP6 fries both of your CPUs, you could make a rather fetching pair of ear-rings.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

la de da deary...
lol
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I blame Tim! :D
-Derek
shick1

Post by shick1 »

I have a better idea, just bend the cpu board from the middle out. One side will pop lose, after that just pry the chip off the cpu board. Drill your hole and your done.