Game does not see video card

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Initially, it looks like the game does not think that the graphics card has 3D hardware support. Isn't the S3 Savage4 an older graphics card?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Have you tried these drivers?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Yes, you are correct. Those drivers are from the archive on the S3 site. Only ones I could find.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

DP wrote:Hi, I want to report I just bought a Club-3D ATi Radeon 7000 32mB video card and am working on a clean install. First results are, the card is installed, the colours are normal. I installed Midtown Madness 2 and just did the first runs. Basically the card performs well, with all graphics on max, and all options on. Only complaint I have so far is there are continuously little hiccups in the moving of the cars. This both the driven car and generic traffic.
In the mean time before purchasing the ATi I had tried my Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64mB with a new installation and noticed the same little hiccups. My guess is these hiccups do not have to do with the graphics card but with the game machine as it is processed by the operating system. Could this be due to the different speeds of the two processors I am wondering.
Would replacing one of the processors with an identical as the other fix that? I have been looking for another 500mHz PPGA a couple of times but they are rare, or overpriced. Of course I could also replace the 500mHz PPGA with a 433mHz PPGA and have a dual 433mHz system. Surely wouldn't decrease performance much.
But then I have one spare CPU and together with the old video card and some memory I would feel obligated to mount all parts on the old ECS P6BAP-A+ which really sucks (well, it is slow and stable, but delivers misarable graphics) and the story would begin all over again: need a case, a CD-ROM, want to better this, want to better that, and I keep spending my money on old fashioned Celerons where it would be more sensible to safe the bucks and go for a PIV.
Had to highlight the text to read the dark green :) heh

Okay, I believe the hiccups could be the result of the system accessing the hard drive for data and therefore creating that "hiccup" effect. This was the problem on my gaming machine not too long ago: defragging helped (and so did the new Radeon 9700 Pro ;))

How much RAM do you have installed? The more RAM you have, the less the computer will need to use the hard drive.