SCSI terminator, He'll be back!

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

SCSI terminator, He'll be back!

Post by Blueneko »

Can too much termination on a SCSI chain cause irregularities amongst drives? (mirror raid, Raid1) Before I Tried a 40mb drive, i removed the terminator that was on my scsi chain that was on for my mirrored drives. I already had one for a raid5 I had on another channel. Does the termination apply for the entire controller if I have 1 terminator on the differnet channel?

I have a similar adaptec ultra 160 with a 36 gig cheetah X15 drive, and a dvd rom, burner, truex cd-rom, and a spare 9 gig back-up drive (All scsi)
I have the 36 gig with 9 gig on the 68pin side, while I have the
=>50 pin dvd rom along with the truex cd-rom<---Internal..external---> then the burner using the external 50pin<=
But I only have one terminator on behind the 9 gig on the 68 pin side. I had to cut off the terminator that was on the 50pin since the ultra160 card did not like termination along both channels...... so going back to the 3 channel raid adapter. COuld it have been causing the mirror drives and the raid5 to make it go jello leg on me when I used it?
Its working absoutely fine now since I have taken off the terminator that was behind the mirror drives. Whew too much typing :shock:

Sorry for making you think after you read it. Oh and that on my p4 system. Kinda cool to have my bp6 running all scsi. Jeeze even @ work im probably the only computer not including any servers for mine to have 2 scsi drives with a scsi cd-rom
Can you say addicted? :wink:
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The cause was not of the terminator! it did it again!
*GROWLS*
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Each SCSI chain must be terminated at both ends (of the cable). The controller usually terminates one end, unles the chain/channel continues out to external SCSI devices. If you have both a 68-pin & a 50-pin channel, you will need termination for each end of each channel. Drives usually have a jumper for Term-Enable, so the cable end terminator may have been redundent. Make sure no devices in the middle of the cable are terminated. Some devices supply tremination power & you can get too much termination power, or not enough. Usually the controller supplies enough by itself.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Ok, Im glad to say its not the bp6. It ran fine overclocked using the 40 gig drive without any adapter. I just placed it onto the 0 ide controller, the slowest dma33 one. The 40 gig drive was quite fast! And no stability issues. So either I use the scsi drives elsewhere and use four 40-gig drives and span em to get a nice 120gig partition which has no redunancy but storage space. Drove me balastic, also I dont believe the raid controller enjoys the overclocked board............or maybe its the drives... or maybe I just need to get my hands away from the machine for a while.

also sorry for clogging up the forum.