Adaptec 133-U2 SCSI Raid and a modified Promise 66 Raid.....

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Adaptec 133-U2 SCSI Raid and a modified Promise 66 Raid.....

Post by Blueneko »

I was going to use my Raid controller that I used in the older server I retired. The card supports ultra2 (80mb sec) Scsi drives. Heres the deal, I plug my scsi card into the bp6, boot the machine up, then my ata66 controller hangs, and sees the drives as 500mb drives (both are 15 gig a piece Matching drives. So I move my ata 66 controller above the scsi card, and it actually sees the raid I had configured, so its good, But the entire time my bios for the scsi controller is never posted. If I take out the promise card, the scsi bios shows up, then as i plug the promise card into the computer, as it boots, it will not see the scsi card. but when I boot into win2k server, it sees all the controller's that the scsi card brought along with it. Asking me for drivers. From what I remembered, I have to set up the scsi raid with floppy disks (I dont remember its been so long) But is there a known issue with promise cards and adaptec scsi controllers?
Poor bp6 being slammed with too many raid devices, its onboard one, a modified one, and a heavy duty scsi full length pci one with 3 channels. could it get any worse?
Should I try the true Fasttrak100 raid controller in this machine? Since I have an extra one?

Oh and no, I have plenty of power. I have an Antec Truepower 550W ATX power supply in there to supply the demand.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Call me a moron, call me a nitwit, but dont call me a drunk, because I rarely drink! Maybe because the last 3 days my head has been hampered by alcohol, but I just now realize my scsi controller has 3 channels and I dont nee dthe ide controller for raid, I have the scsi card that has 3 channels that hold up to 15 devices per channel, so I can have a mirror on channel A and my raid 5 on channel B and the cd-tower on the external connection (C) DOH throw out the ata66 modification
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Im throwing in the towel. Everything I have attempted, all the work end up in the same place, its either a board/controller no like each other. I used the same controller in the old dual pentium pro configuration. So Im probably going to ditch the board or the scsi.... HMM

Anyone looking for a BP6 with two EVercool 725's, vantec Chipset cooler with fan, and two matching 366's?
capo_lupino

Post by capo_lupino »

Hi gabumon,

Don't throw the towel. First, which model of Adaptec is it? Second what level of overclocking are you using because if it's an old AHA it will not follow at more than 33 Mhz on the PCI bus even if some can follow 40! (mine allows 38)Third how much do you ask for the mobo ?:twisted: and the Promise 66 :twisted: :oops: (I can't find them here :cry: )

Let me know and I'll help you.
Power without control is nonsense!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Its a 3 channel PCI Adaptec raid controller card.

AAA 133U2 PCI SCSI
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... =AAA-133U2

As stated above, It happens wether or not I overclock it, or run it at atock speed.
I have one lats ace up my sleeve, a ultra160 card
capo_lupino

Post by capo_lupino »

Had a look to the link. Interesting card!. Has never been available around here.

I assume that there is a compatible RAM DIMM on the card and you have ugraded the card's BIOS to the last version.

Maybe you have a BIOSes conflict on you mobo, if it's a PIII RU 1,28. Try with NJ 1,22.

On the other hand, if the mobo recognises the card, try to load NT Server pressing F6 on the startup and put the NT driver downloaded by Adaptec. Install the management software. If it works (I know it's time consuming!) do the same but with 2000 Server and the same NT driver, try and then upgrade the driver to 2000.

If you already tried all this, give a kick to the card and put it back on the dual pentium pro and sell it. It can be a nice and fast Linux/Unix personal web & mail server!

But anyway go to Ultra160. It'll go faster if you have the right HD's.

I hope I was helpful.

Let me know.
Power without control is nonsense!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

SO much for a raid with the ata66 controller.

I used my two 15 gig drives on the udma33 channels of the bp6, one as a primary and other as secondary. *SHrug*

the ultra160 controller works by controlling each individual drive just fine. EVen if overclocked, looks like the raid controller dont like the bp6. Not because it was overclocked or running @ stock speed. Just fell apart running the data.

Well my server is finally up and running, for 2 hours. Lets see if its alive when I come back on monday!