Western Digital Caviar Special Edition

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

Any of those should work fine. The bios before ru put in the fix for driver ofer 40GB so you should be good to liek 148GB I think the next barrier is.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Drives that big soon come to represent way too much labor to be trusting the HPT366 running them - even if it could handle the parameters!!
My Maxtor 80G 5400 drive was misdetected at around 10G. Switched to a Promise ATA100. Retired HPT366 on all (3) of my BP6 systems.
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Are these promise cards available in the UK because I don't think I've ever seen one advertised? Not had too much problem with my HPT but maybe I'm a lucky one :D
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The Western Digital Special Edition (8Megs of cache) is excellent. The largest slowdown in a dual processor system is the hard drive, and that specific drive is the best IDE performer you’re going to see.

Although, SCSI is the way to go! :D
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

tomatoeboy: I got my Promise card from Scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Tomatoeboy, the Maxtor Corp sells the Promise cards all boxed up and labeled as Maxtor controllers. Often these are much easier to find than the Promise boxed product.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Hey, Jay4hand -

Plan on working the Promise ATA100 or ATA133 card into your budget.
The HPT366 should only be used for CDROM & DVD drives - too flakey, slow, & crash prone. I don't think it will handle cylinder counts much beyond 4096.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Jay4hand wrote:hey DD, have you had any problems with that drive and the hpt366? I dont wanna have to fork over any more money for a frakin' controller card, but if I absolutely have too,,,,,
I haven't used it with the HPT controller, sorry :(