IBM Deskstar 75GXP 61.4GB

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 61.4GB

Post by Blueneko »

Has anyone bought anything from ebay, and a compant called TDI or on ebay known ass pcamarket (seller) sells junk!
Has anyone known what IBM uses as thier disks in thier hd's? I just got done with one, after making it fall, I mean slam into the sidewalk on its corner, and it split open, and it emitted shards of itsy bitsy glass everywhere! when did they use glass in hd's?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Man, your all over the place in this post!
The glass disks are more dimensionally stable over a given operating temp range & they are a clear notch above metal disks if made optimally. Cheap drives use metal (AL alloy?) disks & premium use glass.
Perhaps the G-force max rating is lower however & slams to concrete may not sit too well with them!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

There is a class action lawsuit going thru the courts right now on the IBM hdisk drives being falsely advertized as to their MTBF #hours being grossly overstated. Maximum PC magazine has been reporting on this & has surveyed their readers to collect statistical data that could help proove that IBM was BS-ing & knew for some time that large numbers of the drives in question were defectively manufactured.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Still was fun hearing it go KA-CHING on impact then a shimmer/crackle .... shimmer..... shimmer....., then on the rebound a ka-chunk of the aluminum block comming to a final rest 3 feet from where impact took place. The drive I bought was never intended to be pulled out of a pc, then RMA'd, looks like someone got a hold on a large number of drives large companies take back as warrenty replacements and sold them on ebay as "NON WORKING DRIVES" knowing that they werent warrentied from MFG originally. If I had known this prior of bidding, I wouldnt of had to throw a IBM drive onto the now glimmering sidewalk.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

I had one of these drives fail in my VP6, first time I have ever had a hard-drive fail... sadly there is another one in there that hasn't failed, maybe just a matter of time....
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I new a guy who had his Novell server running two mirrored Micropolis SCSI drives & when the bearings went bad on one, he sent it in for replacement. Running unmirrored for a few days, and the replacement drive comes promptly. Before he has time to even get it out of the box & installed, the second driive tanks on him & he's stuck with a server rebuild & restore from tape. Micropolis disappeared from the scene soon after.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

My second IBM 60Gb died! Luckily still under warranty from the shop, nice lady gave me an 80Gb Maxtor at no extra cost!