40gb ibm 60gxp

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
vgoraz

40gb ibm 60gxp

Post by vgoraz »

I just got a abit bp6 for free. I am trying to build a decent workstation out of it for a small amount of money. I bought a 40gb ibm deskstar 60gxp hard drive for it. I found this site and have read all these horrible things about the hpt controller. It would be nice to get a raid 0 though. thing is i am trying to build this entire computer for really cheap (using a tnt2 graphic card and a sb sound card i had laying around) and so dont want to buy a new raid card (even if they only go for $30). So basically i am asking if you guys think i could get 2 ibm desktar 40gb 60gxps working in a raid 0 or if i should just save the money and not buy another hard drive (i could get buy with just 40gb). Also any other suggestions on what parts i should buy for this motherboard to make a really good cheap system would be welcome.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Best cooling for the buck=>EverCool (AOC) 715 copper w/70mm fan. You will not find a CPU cooler better matched to the BP6.
Just ask anyone who has experienced the perfect fit of this rig, whether single or dual CPUs it's a beautiful thing!
For <$20 each with copper shim at www.nexfan.com there is no better deal out there! Trust me, I've bought & screwed around trying to get more expensive units to fit the BP6 (I own three of them).
Just make sure to get the REAL thermal paste - Arctic Silver -III. Throw the white stuff in the garbage - 99+% Silver all the way!
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

thanks for the advice. Yeah i am eyeing a couple antec cases that best buy has (shipping a case cost more than its worth) and they come with nice 300 watt power supplies and also numerous places to put fans.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

InactiveX wrote:Gabumon: You can turn an Ultra66 into a FastTrak RAID controller with a bit of soldering and a BIOS flash.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/00 ... 66-05.html

I did the procedure myself a couple of years ago and it really does work, although you'll be voiding your warranty.
I did the mod and it worked!
I spent $8.62 on a ata66 controller card off ebay. thx inactivex, and ill stop blabbering about celerons and bp6 (the last reply kind shut me up :D but its ok!)
convert your ata66 controller into raid today!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Sithscripter, if you do get the EverCool 715s & you use the PowerLeap adapter(s) remember the "paper clip" trick for extending the socket clip.
I tried bending my 1st one (way too stiff) & ended up trashing it.