Video Card Heatsink Removal

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Jordan

Video Card Heatsink Removal

Post by Jordan »

I've got an ATI Rage Fury 32 meg video card, and now that i've overclocked, i;ve noticed it's overheating and crashing on certain games. I tried just slapping a pentium 1 heatsink on top of the original to cool it better. (see my picture album thingy) That worked, so i thought i would pull off the original heatsink and put the penyium one directly on the chip. That's where i hit a roadblock:

HOW DO YOU GET THE HEATSINK OFF AN ATI RAGE FURY?????

I think it's super-glued on, and i've tried freezing it, prying it, sticking an exacto blade under and trying to saw it off, BUT NOTHING WORKS!!!!

I'm a bit anxious about force on it though, I don't want it broken or anything. I don't have an appropriate replacement card if this goes wrong.

I need this crap heatsink off, it really doesn't do it's job well enough. If anyone knows anything, PLEASE tell me.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
Jordan

I Did It!

Post by Jordan »

Once again, five minutes after posting i solve my own problem.
Force was necessary.
In a fit of insanity I took a flat screwdriver, jammed it into one side of the heatsink and pulled up. I heard some cracking (glue breaking not chips i think) Then suddenly BAM it came off!

Boy that was a useless peice of metal. 3/8 of an inch thick, low grade aluminum, held on with some kind of industrial super-glue.
Anyway, now that it's off I must finish modding it. I might take pictures for the world to see, if anyone cares.

So, when removing video card heatsinks, Force was the key for me!
The collector of the old and unwanted.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Impressive.
Hope getting the new one to stay on is easier.

I have always been afraid of damage to the card so I just attach whatever size fan I can get to the card. That is kinda hard sometimes cause locating the right screws is tedious.

Good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Re: I Did It!

Post by purrkur »

Jordan wrote:Once again, five minutes after posting i solve my own problem.
Force was necessary.
This is my experience too. Take a screwdriver with a narrow blade, force it in there as far as it goes then then I twist it.

Just did this on a nVidia Geforce2 GTS. Remember that you should remove all of the old glue before attaching a new heatsink because if you don't your heatsink won't lie flat on the GPU.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel