IBM 80Gb, BP6 and Win200Pro: incompatible?

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

If you have burned the RU BIOS with the HPT1.25 support & made the floppy disk with the Win2K v.1.25 driver (matched to the BIOS) all should be good.

Where does the Win2k install go south on you?
Does the HPT load screen detect the drive correctly on boot? Most 80G drives exceed what the HPT366 can handle properly.

If you can afford $25-30, just go get a Promise/Maxtor ATA100(or 133) PCI controller and be done with the HPT366. You and your IBM 80G drive both deserve better than than the HPT366! I will only use it for Read-Only devices on all (3) of my BP6 systems, running WinXP.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Look for the Maxtor ATA100 or ATA133 cards sold whever Maxtor big drives are sold.
These are OEM controllers made by Promise & work just like the Promise.
The HPT366 is a real big headache & I don't trust it to do anything in my (3) BP6 SYStems except operate READ-ONLY devices (CDROM/DVDROM)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Use ONLY an 80-wire/40-pin premium cables for newer drives drive.
The HPT366 controller is not likely to handle this drive properly over time.
What OS is running on the Barracuda?
The value of what gets stored on an 80G drive is just too great to trust the HPT366 controller with!! Get the Promise/Maxtor ATA100 or 133 card.
You will notice the improved performance.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

halflunatik,
When you say the (4) 80G drives are working OK on the HPT366 controller & they detect as 10G drives - I'm not placing any bets on your longterm hapiness with this scheme!!!
Having just recovered from an NTFS WinXP drive crash that could ONLY be fixed by running CHKDSK.EXE without the NTFS.SYS driver loaded. I would be very skeptical of your options for disk recovery should you ever fall into that type of a hole.
Had you already struck out with a Promise (or some other) card?
For sure you are not getting the max performance from these drive in the HPT366!
Last edited by RRLedford on Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freak

Hope I could help

Post by Freak »

I just got two new Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB drives. When I plugged them up to the HPT366 controller, it only detected two 12 GB hard drives under the HTP366 controller screen but when installing Win2K I was able to partition into the total 80 GB, but not through Fdisk. Don't when I installed Win2K and trying to defrag or use them after filling them both was pointless. Too SLOW. After flashing my Bios to the Latest RU BIOS W/PIII and Co Microcode & V1.28 HTP366 Drivers, my bios and HPT366 controller registered both drives as 80 GB and performance sky rocketed. Instead of a day to do six precent in defrag, took only 3-4 hours for the whole drive.

But now the BIG BUT!!

After doing this, I was no longer able to install Win2K. Some problem as everyone else. Ether freezing with all versions of the HPT366 drivers from Highpoint tech except 1.25v which didn't freeze, but didn't detect my two drives.

The only why to combat this is to unplug the 80 GB drive(s) from my computer and then install Win2K. Under installing Win2K, install the 1.25v Highpoint tech drivers and then plug the 80 GB drive(s) back in. Should work, it worked for me.

Another way is the plug the 80 GB drive(s) onto the standard IDE controller, not the HPT366 controller. This removes all the above problems and you can install Win2K without unplugging them each time you need to install. The down side to this is that you half your theoretical max speed of the drive(s) from UDMA66 (Peak of 66Mbytes per sec) on the HPT366 controller to UDMA33 (Peak of 33Mbytes per sec) on the standard controller. For me that is fine for I am only using these two drives as back-up drives and do not get craned that much. As well as, if you have something on these drive(s), you will need to back them up somewhere because you will need to re-fdisk and re-format your drive(s) under the standard controller, which will get rid of all data that is on the drive(s) now (if any). Don’t ask me why, but the drive(s) acts really strangely otherwise.

The first two will not cost you a thing, but this will.

Buy a later Highpoint tech controller or Promise Controller in the form of a PCI expansion card.

I hope that this will help out everyone especially pira.

Freak