Silicon Image 680 RAID card problems (yet again)

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
kimej

Silicon Image 680 RAID card problems (yet again)

Post by kimej »

Hi all BP6 fans.

Ive bought this nice board equipped with dual celerons 466mhz not overclocked recently, and had planned to use an external pata adapter to make use of drives larger than 137gb limit.

Therefore i bought the noname Silicon Image 680 card. Unlike dewey's thread "http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2340", it actually initially boots up niceley, shows the bios, detects the drives and so on.

The very sad thing is that the controller and system i seems to work nice in SUSE 9.1 Prof and Fedora Core, Windows XP too. BUT i cannot use this controllers drives as bootdrives, and whats much worse, is i cannot boot the system at all exect when i set the CDROM, A, C order in the BIOS.

Unfortunaltely the SUSE linux CD can make a boot from a harddrive, and that WORKS!, but the thing is i cannot live with having to use an "bootup" CD everytime i must restart my server.

The failure is "VERYFYING DMI POOL..." syndrome. It gets struck there, the only way i can make the board bootup frem somewhere is from BOOTCD in the CDROM, A, C mode.

I am using the RU bios with the HPT bios.
I have been booting up and using the board without any bootupproblems without the controller installed. Same thing is when the raid-card is attached to the BP6, but is not connected to any drives.

Does anybody have a clue what could be a solution?
Have anybody got success with this particular pata (raid) card?

- Kimej :-)

BTW. The specs is:
[
2x 2466mhz celeron on BP6,
256mb ram,
SILICON IMAGE 680 controller (THE PROBLEM)
CDROM-drive attached to the IDEports on the board,
primary bootdrive on the IDE controller on the BP6,
several disks on the SiliconImage controller.
]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimej

Post by kimej »

--

Luckily i was able to resolve the problem myself !!!

Så if anybody has any problems regarding DMI Pool Data hangs, or other addin controller-card problems try updating your BP6 board to the inoffical BP6 RV bios that can be found on this page.

When you update, make the awrflash.exe reset the DMI POOL data and CMOS data, type awdflash.exe /? to get the commands in DOS.

:)

- Kimej
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the info kimej!

Here's the list of BP6 BIOS versions for download:

http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?acti ... y&cat_id=8

Derek
-Derek