Please help me ! (Adaptec problem)

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Puppas

Please help me ! (Adaptec problem)

Post by Puppas »

if someone could help me with this i would be really, really grateful.

I need the config files for a Adaptec 7770P built in SCSI controller, the files you need to have to be able to use the EISA config utility.

// Swede
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Tjenare!

I love a good challenge.....

As I understood you, the card was called Adaptec 7770P. I had never heard of such a part name from Adaptec but I also decided that this was most certainly an EISA card and what do I know about those??

I searched Adaptecs pages and there was no mention of a component with the number 7770P. In these situations, Google is your friend although Google didn't turn out anything that I could use directly. I did see one post mentioning that 7770P was a *chip* name and not a product name. So I searched Google again (this time looking for AIC-7770P because that is mostly what they call their chips) and came up with this page:

http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html? ... aptec.html

and from here, athough it doesn't say so directly, I could make an assumption that the adaptec card is actually called AHA-2742. I went back to Adaptecs pages and found loads of information. The AHA-2742 fits the description of your card (being an EISA component). You can find more info here:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... y=AHA-2742

From here you can surf around and just make sure you double check as much as you can the specifications for your board and the AHA-2742. If your card isn't an AHA-2742 then you might mess it up if you start running low-level config utilities on it. During my search from the link above I found this interesting page:

http://ask.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_ ... PTE*&p_li=

Which is what I believe you are looking for.

Lycka till!!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

Du är min gud. Fattar inte hur du hittade det där....Men man tappar fort lusten på 56/k :wink:
tack så jättemycket, verkligen..Men =)

I got the *.cfg files, but the EISA utility program cant find the config files on the floppy, but they are there....So now, i have everything, but it's just not compatible....Any tips on how i can get it to work ? It dont seem to be able to access the files..

Anyone got a EISA utility program that i can borrow :oops:
davd_bob
Confused

Re: Please help me ! (Adaptec problem)

Post by davd_bob »

Puppas wrote:if someone could help me with this i would be really, really grateful.

I need the config files for a Adaptec 7770P built in SCSI controller, the files you need to have to be able to use the EISA config utility.

// Swede
?built in....a system board I assume? what board? brand? chipset? bios?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Puppas,
wouldn't it be great to have purrkur for a next door neighbor?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

Yeah that would be great, who knows, he might be living next door..vart bor du purrkurr ?
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob: Hehehe. Thanks for the kind words!

Puppas: I Järfälla utanför Stockholm! var befinner du dig nånstans?

As for your problems Puppas, it could be just about anything really. Adaptec has a lot of information on their pages so I just suggest going through them, reading the installation guides and so on.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

purrkur : Yeah was afraid that you would say that =)
Jag är bosatt i en liten by utanför Östersund. Så det var inte så nära, men fränt ändå att stöta på en likasinnad här på BP6 =)

I'm so close to give up on that piece of shit Adaptec...i know its old and all, but this much work for ATA 33 scsi ? hmmm....is it worth it ? :roll:
Puppas

Post by Puppas »

Well, i have now officially given up. There is nothing more i can or will do to make that dinosaur work.
I'm so pissed off, why wont it just work ? I got everything that is needed for it to work , but it just wont..

The EISA config utility starts, but doesnt find a config file that match, but some got damn cfg file for a compaq computer is visible, but i cant use it ? So why doesnt my cfg file pop up in the same window ? Even if i couldnt use that one either...
Crap, i dont even now if i'm awake or sleeping...This really sux..
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hmmm. Have you tried to flash the BIOS on the adapter with the latest and greatest??

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... y=AHA-2742

have you read the installation instructions? I some information in there on how to configure and copy files etc. Here is some of that information:

"The EISA Configuration utility must be run every time an adapter card is physically added, removed, or moved. The utility operates on the information provided by the .cfg (configuration) files and . ovl (overlay) files that accompany the EISA system board and/or adapter card.

Depending on the EISA Configuration utility supplied with your system, host adapter configuration will vary; however, the basic steps include:
· Run the EISA Configuration utility
· Copy the configuration and overlay files
· Select the host adapter
· Configure the host adapter parameters
· Configure BIOS and SCSI device
· Exit the EISA Configuration utility

Copy Configuration and Overlay Files
The !adp7771.cfg configuration file and adp7770.ovl overlay file needed to configure your host adapter with your EISA system are located on the diskette that came with your host adapter. The EISA Configuration utility typically allows you to select among a number of options, including copying new configuration files. Select this option to copy the !adp7771.cfg and the adp7770.ovl files from the host adapter diskette to either the bootable EISA configuration diskette or to the directory on your hard disk where the EISA Configuration utility is located. If the Configuration utility does not provide such an option, use the DOS Copy command to copy these files."

OK. Now that I have read a bit into the manual for this SCSI thingy, I came up with some new stuff. Have you read the manual? Well, it is recommended reading for sure. It is 133 pages worth of information.

After reading that you had to have 2 different config files (.cfg and .ovl files called !adp7771.cfg and adp7770.ovl) I did a bit more searching on the net and came up with this page where you can download the configuration files:

http://www.dothill.com/support/download ... amicro.htm

You can also download the config files from here:

http://ftp.cvut.cz/local/drivers/eisa/

Here I found some instructions on how to handle these files:

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/dta/77871/00000005.htm

There is a lot more information to be had if you just google a bit. Google for the file names and you will end up with more hits than you want.

So don't give up! Get even!

:)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd