Help on dead ATI A-I-W 9700 Pro

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Help on dead ATI A-I-W 9700 Pro

Post by RRLedford »

I recently scanned the NewEgg referb section and found an ATI 9700Pro all-in-Wonder 128MB card for $200. To good to be true, since I had just returned an Nvidia 5700Ultra card which would not load the drivers -ANY Drivers! It would only function in generic VGA mode with no accelleration.
After hours of un-installing and re-installing too many versions of Nvidia drivers only to get maybe one boot in 30 without CODE 10 ERROR & yellow-spotted device icon, I finally gave up & returned it.
My mainboard is an $40 ACORP Dual P-III 1100E/256/100@105MHz/512MB/RAID80G+80G
So, the ATI card arrives & it was just thrown loose in the box with all the other stuff. One capacitor is totally knocked off the card from impact with other items. It appears to be easily re-soldered back on - BUT, I will void my warranty if I do it. NewEgg will only refund me my money & not replace with same item - so I end up loosing big time!
What should I do - Solder -OR- return?? I still don't even know if it will really work or if it will actually solve my driver load problem either! Seems too risky to solder. Any advise?
Last edited by RRLedford on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zero point energy
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

if you're good with soldering then I say, do it (that's what I did with my abit board and they took it back and gave me a new one)
but if you're not so good then I would just return it and keep looking
or you can call up ATI and ask them what to do, they might be able to do an RMA with it
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

You could try an email to newegg and cc to ATI customer manager. Ask(nearly beg) in the email for a response. Imply that in good faith you will continue using ATI products even if newegg doesn't give customer satisfaction.

I did simular when a rebate center mishandled my documentation on a WD drive. I really would have stayed with WD. WD contacted the rebate center and I not only got what was due me but they FED-EXed it.

Does anyone know a contact at ATI customer relations?
Good luck.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Thanks for the advise. I ended up returning the AIW-9700Pro for credit. Still looking for a replacement.
Zero point energy
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Well I returned the ATI9700 A-I-W card, and good thing too.
When I got a replacement ATI9800PRO A-I-W card I could not get it to load its advanced DX9 drivers to save my life.
Thought I had a basic incompatibility with my ACORP Dual P3 board.
Still haven't solved this one, except I know that a FX5200 has same issue.
I also know that moving the FX5200 to another ACORP and doing a clean install of WinXP-Pro got it to work just fine.

Looks like a WinXp reinstall for me if I want the ATI9800Pro A-I-W working correctly in the other ACORp system
Zero point energy