Drive Controller HELP!

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
SilentNomad

Drive Controller HELP!

Post by SilentNomad »

Here a few weeks back, my Win XP decided it was going to do some crazy crap. When it got done with being self-destructive, I started restoring my device drivers. I've got everything straightened out except the following.

1) My INTEL chipset for my IDE controller has somehow gotten placed in Win XP as a SCSI device. I know this isn't right, and when I download the updated INF files from Intel, run the package, it tells me that I do not need them...This is a bunch of crap, mine are corrupt and just because the OS is supposed to support the chipset doesn't mean that they cannot get corrupt and need reinstall. Anyways, I need these drivers and the INF files for them.

2) My computer no longer powers itself down when shutdown. Thought that maybe the updated BIOS would help fix this. So I flashed RV. Seems to help a few of the hesitations that XP had, but not this one.

3) Sometimes, when I power my machine on, it doesn't come on. The drives go through the motion, but nothing. Only alternative to bring it back up is to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down and turn it right back on when the drives stop spinning. (Could this be due to a weak or dead CMOS battery?) When I do this, everything works fine with the exception of the above...

--------
In keeping with the spirit
--------
BP6 (REV unknown)
2*366Cerery@500MHz
450 Watt PS
384 Meg PC133
20Gig Quantum Fireball on HPT
DVD-RAM @ IDE port 1 device 0
32X CD-RW @ IDE port 2 device 0
GeForce 4 MX 420 AGP video
Crappo Sound Card (not even going to tell the name and get laughed at)
ADSL + Router/HUB
Running @500MHz for a little over a year, was running for 2 years before that at 550MHz Aside from the XP problems, everything's sweet!
cavity

Post by cavity »

xp likes to forget how to power down a computer, it never did with my board...
3) I get the same thing sometimes when i leave the bios, it powers on and the drives spin, but no monitor or beep.
i dont have enough free time anymore... college will do that.
I've learned from experience that hpt sucks
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Based on what you described, it sounds like XP's registry got "popped". Trying to repair the registry can be done, as long as you know what you are looking for. A registry repair tool may work to resolve the issues but maybe not.

1) You may be able to remove/uninstall the IDE (SCSI) drivers through device manager and let XP re-discover the standard IDE controller. XP has the latest and greatest built-in. The BP6 IDE controller is old. :cry:

3) Bad voltage regulation capacitors or failing power supplies can cause this problem. Was your BIOS and XP configured for ACPI?

If this were my system, I would be starting to think about a system rebuild. But that's just me...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

I had that not power on when pushing the power button problem, it went away by replacing with a higher wattage and better power supply
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
SilentNomad

Post by SilentNomad »

hyperspace wrote:Based on what you described, it sounds like XP's registry got "popped". Trying to repair the registry can be done, as long as you know what you are looking for. A registry repair tool may work to resolve the issues but maybe not.
I've tried many registry repair tools, I even did a wipe of the drive at one time and did a fresh re-install. No luck on either.
hyperspace wrote:1) You may be able to remove/uninstall the IDE (SCSI) drivers through device manager and let XP re-discover the standard IDE controller. XP has the latest and greatest built-in. The BP6 IDE controller is old. :cry:
I've uninstalled the entries, even went through the registry and removed all SCSI and IDE devices I could find. When I let windows re-discover what I have it gives me 2 options. "SCSI/RAID Host Controller" or "ST3SHARK SCSI Controller" and not my standard DUAL FIFO primary IDE channel/controller. I can force it to take PIIX4 Busmaster drivers, but they too list themselves as SCSI and still say they aren't functioning properly.
hyperspace wrote:3) Bad voltage regulation capacitors or failing power supplies can cause this problem. Was your BIOS and XP configured for ACPI?
All voltages appear to be in tollerances. Power supply is almost new, I've even tested it on other machine and it appears perfect with the exception of some black dust in the air vents... Vacuum cleaner time... ACPI was enabled when I did the last complete re-install which was under the RU bios. But windows did not power down on shutdown. As I stated, I was hoping that the RV wtih fixed ACPI Table would fix it just by flashing, but it didn't.
hyperspace wrote:If this were my system, I would be starting to think about a system rebuild. But that's just me...
Ever since I put XP in this machine, it's been headache after headache, but never anything his screwed up. Anyways, if you watch/watched South Park, my computer's name is Kenny...

Anyways, I'm thinking about an install over top of this one with WIN XP again... Maybe that will fix some, but then again, I have known it to make things worse... MS is NOT compat. with itself... And I'm a firm believier in what I started saying back in the old Commodore 64 days......"Windows is the world's first and only widely accepted computer virus..." It's malicious code that replicates parts of itself all over the HD in random sectors and then forgets where it has put them so it writes them again in others taking up even more valuable space...
SilentNomad

Post by SilentNomad »

Holodeck2 wrote:I had that not power on when pushing the power button problem, it went away by replacing with a higher wattage and better power supply
I would hope that a 450 Watt PS would be enough. Seeing as I had 2 more optical drives in here and another HD and was running them both on a canibalized 233 Watt COMPAQ power supply for about 6 months until I scratched up the funds to buy a new PS. Ran those 6 months without a single problem. These problems didn't come up until about 3 weeks ago.
I donno though, WIN XP is starting to really tick me off, I'm thinking about switching back to LINUX...again... (But my really cool games won't play on LINUX...)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

SilentNomad wrote:
hyperspace wrote:3) Bad voltage regulation capacitors or failing power supplies can cause this problem. Was your BIOS and XP configured for ACPI?
All voltages appear to be in tollerances. Power supply is almost new, I've even tested it on other machine and it appears perfect with the exception of some black dust in the air vents... Vacuum cleaner time... ACPI was enabled when I did the last complete re-install which was under the RU bios. But windows did not power down on shutdown. As I stated, I was hoping that the RV wtih fixed ACPI Table would fix it just by flashing, but it didn't.
Bad capacitors. Bugling, oozing electrolyte, capacitor tops dis-coloured grey. Usually happens to the capacitors around the CPU's. I would check all of the larger electrolytic capacitors on the mainboard.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...