System Disk on SATA ou SCSI ??

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
the_yeti

System Disk on SATA ou SCSI ??

Post by the_yeti »

Hye all,

I'm in order to change my boot disk, actually an standard 40 Go Seagate on the standard IDE post of my BP6 (udma 33)

The question, is as follows : shall i buy an SCSI card with the HDD whitch will work great (in this fact with SCSI card is "the best")
Or shall I buy an SATA controler with the godd hdd too.

In fact, i hava actually an Promisse ATA133 card with 4 120 Go disk on (fot storage Only)

The only thing that I will do is to add a system disk that will be more faster than the actual !
So is it more efficient to ad an SATA Card, SCSI Card or even a other ATA133 card for the booting device, and of course how will it work in the BIOS of the BP6. (the only options in the bios is to boot EXT with SCSI or HPT366)
In fact if I add an SATA card will it BOOT ????

Thanks for any advice
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*466 MHZ, 768Mo SD-RAM, GF4 Ti 4200, Promise IDE 133 Card and 4*120 Hitachi HDD + 40 Go System disk + DVD + CR-RW + DVD-+RW ... System Windows 2003 Server ... work's sooooooooooo gooooooood !!!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

SCSI or SATA would be best. Look for a controller that has on-board cache, if available. Hard drive(s) with the fastest access time and largest cache. SATA may be easier and cheaper to implement RAID. I can't remember, but someone on the forum reported using a SATA controller on the BP6. SCSI can support up to 15 devices

Lots of factors to consider...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

Ok, thanks
SATA or SCSI will be best of course ;)

Did anyone knows if the bp6 boot in corest oder if I had 2 controlers cards, I mean 1 SCSI (or SATA) and 1 ATA133, so did the system boot on the SCSI (or SATA) or on the ATA133, or did he check the both card in order to look for an system Disk ???
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*466 MHZ, 768Mo SD-RAM, GF4 Ti 4200, Promise IDE 133 Card and 4*120 Hitachi HDD + 40 Go System disk + DVD + CR-RW + DVD-+RW ... System Windows 2003 Server ... work's sooooooooooo gooooooood !!!
BCN

Post by BCN »

I think it would check both cards and would boot from the first bootable disk it finds in an order it looks for it... maybe PCI slot number would influence... do not know.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

go with SATA, it's just as fast as SCSI with the same type of drives
if you want a massive chain of drives on one cable or want to connect something to it other than HDDs and if you're loaded with cash then go with SCSI

SATA cards should be able to boot, they have their own bios that pops up but you might want to check with the manufacture.
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is