Win 98, 60gig HD THATS NOT READING!!!!!

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Beezy

Win 98, 60gig HD THATS NOT READING!!!!!

Post by Beezy »

help me out guys. My Father in law recently gave us a PC...., everything but the hard drive.. no problem.. i had 3. But the problem is.. 2 do not work.. and the 3rd is a 60 gig, so i don't mind. but it's reading as a sorry EIGHT gigs. :cry: I'm a total NEWB to the hardware scene so i don't know enough about the parts or software to feel safe playing around with stuff. so i'm hoping you guys could help. i obviously don't need to tell you guys that the mother board is a bp6. it's running twin p2's (400 mhz). I have win 98 on the harddrive, i don't want to have to partition.. but if i must i must. if someone could give me some ideas on what to do or walk me thru partitioning. that'd be greeeaaaat. either respond to this post or email me at Btate6271@cox.net.

Thanks for at least READING this post.
Derek
Site Admin

Re: Win 98, 60gig HD THATS NOT READING!!!!!

Post by Derek »

Beezy wrote:help me out guys. My Father in law recently gave us a PC...., everything but the hard drive.. no problem.. i had 3. But the problem is.. 2 do not work.. and the 3rd is a 60 gig, so i don't mind. but it's reading as a sorry EIGHT gigs. :cry: I'm a total NEWB to the hardware scene so i don't know enough about the parts or software to feel safe playing around with stuff. so i'm hoping you guys could help. i obviously don't need to tell you guys that the mother board is a bp6. it's running twin p2's (400 mhz). I have win 98 on the harddrive, i don't want to have to partition.. but if i must i must. if someone could give me some ideas on what to do or walk me thru partitioning. that'd be greeeaaaat. either respond to this post or email me at Btate6271@cox.net.

Thanks for at least READING this post.
Hmmm... Could be that the jumpers are not in the correct position on the back of the hard drive, or, the hard drive is not partitioned properly. Take your pick :smokin:
Beezy

Post by Beezy »

i have the pins on the back lined up correctly. it may be a partitioning problem. as i said before i would like some help with partitioning.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Beezy wrote:i have the pins on the back lined up correctly. it may be a partitioning problem. as i said before i would like some help with partitioning.
I always use Partition Magic, it's pretty easy to use.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ok...

well the bp6 should see the 60gig no problem

i used a 60gb for almost a year until i upgraded my mobo

i'd think it's not partitioned correctly

BTW using win98 on a bp6 is completely useless... as win98 will not utilize the second CPU

you should use 2K for the OS
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:ok...

well the bp6 should see the 60gig no problem

i used a 60gb for almost a year until i upgraded my mobo

i'd think it's not partitioned correctly

BTW using win98 on a bp6 is completely useless... as win98 will not utilize the second CPU

you should use 2K for the OS
Good point.
Beezy

Post by Beezy »

Thanks for the help guys. i appreciate all info. i would have never known about w98se being a waste of space otherwise. i'll probably upgrade real soon. Tanks' amilyan!!!

:D :) :wink:
johnli

Post by johnli »

It could be that the BP6 was set up with an 8gb HD before, and so the bios has had the cylinder count etc specified for 8gb.
Beezy: run the automaic disk setup in the bios, and see if that helps.
Regards,
John
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Beezy, you could try the "32GB cap" jumper setting, that will limit the capacity to 32GB for the BIOS. I got some drives to work on various older boards by experimenting with that jumper. Windows should recognize the full capacity.

I´ve had problems with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80 GB on the HPT366. Other 80 GB drives are reported to work, and the Barracuda did on the standard IDE. So it would be helpful if you told us what type of 60GB harddisk you got.

But... are you using a BP6 anyway? IIRC P2-400s, like all P2s, were only built as Slot-1...
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Beezy

Post by Beezy »

:D Thanks for all the love guys.. it's actually been a while since i fixed the problem got a hold of a "copy" of a certain partitioning program that worked "magic" on my HD. (duh). as usual, i took a really small problem and turned it into a big technical hoopla. (just hit the ON button next time.. duh). anyway. anyone know where i can get a cheap copy of xp or 2k?!?
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Beezy wrote:anyone know where i can get a cheap copy of xp or 2k?!?
You got mail.

Just joking... :D

SCNR,

Wolfram
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hahahahahahahaha

thats hilarious
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit